The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 26, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1
deadcoyote

Ruger Blackhawk theoretical....

I really like the N frame SW revolvers bored out to hold 8 rounds of .357 magnum, seems like a stellar idea. Could a Blackhawk theoretically be made to hold 8 rounds of .357? I know Ruger makes an 8 shot .327 mag, not really my cup of tea. Does Ruger ever solicit opinions from folks?
Old October 26, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
BLUETIP

I'm no help here but if they were to make one i'd sure buy one!
Old October 26, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I prefer my capacity to be in multiples of five. That's a row of cartridges in the box. So, to hold ten rounds in my single actions, the charge holes would have to number eleven, leaving an empty under the hammer. Not needed with the New Model Rugers, I know, but my practice just the same.

Bob Wright
Old October 26, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Bob Wright

Dead Coyote says:
Quote:
Does Ruger ever solicit opinions from folks?
No. Not unless you're a well known gun writer. And own a ranch in Texas, been a sheriff, champion pistol shooter and served on the U.S. Border Patrol. And been with the FBI. Service with the CIA is helpful also.

Bob Wright
Old October 27, 2012, 02:44 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Not entirely true, Bob.
Ruger does watch the two Ruger Forums & does pay at least SOME attention to suggestions, when feasible. May not actively "solicit" opinions, as such, but between that & market research at the dealer level they try to cover a broad range of models & features.
The .308 Compact Magnum rifle was one that came about from a forum source.

I don't see an 8-shot Blackhawk being viable in .357 Magnum.
Denis
Old October 27, 2012, 04:15 PM   #6
g.willikers

Might be doable from a custom gunsmith.
Anyone with a lathe, drill press, milling machine and lots of files around here willing to try?
Old October 27, 2012, 06:53 PM   #7
drail

It could be done in a poodle shooter caliber. With big bore calibers you're going to have to give up metal between the chambers weakening the cylinder (unless you upsize the frame and a Blackhawk is already a pretty big revolver). The best reason they have not built one is that you only need 6. If you need more than 6 buy a Glock.
Old October 27, 2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Jbotto

I could see it feasible with a .44 BH frame but with the .357 holes in both the barrel and the cylinder. That hole in the .44 frame is a bit larger than the one in the .357 frame, isn't it?
Old October 27, 2012, 11:45 PM   #9
Edward429451

How about a 10 round X Frame in 357 Mag?
Old October 28, 2012, 01:16 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Could a Blackhawk theoretically be made to hold 8 rounds of .357? I know Ruger makes an 8 shot .327 mag, not really my cup of tea.
It won't fit.
There isn't enough room in the cylinder.

Seven rounds... maybe.
Eight.... no.
Old October 28, 2012, 07:41 AM   #11
seeker_two

Blackhawk: No. Maybe seven on the large-frame model.

Super Redhawk: Yes. And I'd buy an 8-rd. Alaskan in a heartbeat.
Old October 28, 2012, 02:05 PM   #12
gak

The .357 Blackhawk (non flattop) is the same size frame as .44 Mag SBH and .45 BH. I'd agree, probably 7 max. Ruger does have a "Tell the CEO" email or linked suggestion form on their website, and as one poster said, is known to monitor especially the Ruger forums and does appear to take notice and act on some suggestions "out there." Not as much or often as some of us would like
Old October 28, 2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
Not entirely true, Bob.
Ruger does watch the two Ruger Forums & does pay at least SOME attention to suggestions, when feasible. May not actively "solicit" opinions, as such, but between that & market research at the dealer level they try to cover a broad range of models & features.
The .308 Compact Magnum rifle was one that came about from a forum source.
Also, "solicit" means to actively seek out and ask for opinions. Ruger doesn't call up every gun owner and ask what we'd like to see, but if you write to Ruger and express an interest in seeing them develop a particular gun/cartridge combination, they'll probably tally that information somewhere even if they don't acknowledge it.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:04 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Blackhawk: No. Maybe seven on the large-frame model.
The standard models are all built with the 'large' frame now.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:31 PM   #15
seeker_two

FM: I'm trying to differentiate b/t the "large-frame" (Super Blackhawk, NM Blackhawk) from the "medium-frame" (New Vaquero, 3-screw Blackhawk, 50th Anniversary Blackhawk) models. You could add "small-frame" (Single-Six) and "extra-small" frame (Bearcat) if you wanted to....
Old October 28, 2012, 08:36 PM   #16
igousigloo

Just buy a 327 mag. and get used to it. 8 shots at 1700 to 1800 fps is easy to get used to!
Old October 29, 2012, 01:05 AM   #17
stevelyn

Quote:
I know Ruger makes an 8 shot .327 mag, not really my cup of tea.
That's on my list of stuff to buy. I think it makes for a perfect trapline gun especially if you handload.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 29, 2012, 03:07 AM   #18
warningshot

Quote:
Anyone with a lathe, drill press, milling machine and lots of files around here willing to try?
So that is the meaning behind the incripted, Special Project, the inmates on D block are talking about.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:07 AM   #19
DWFan

The S&W N-frame cylinder is slightly smaller in diameter than the Blackhawk, so it might be possible.
Old October 29, 2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Rifleman1776

Any company is interested in new ideas if they are feasible and can be marketed at a profit.
If you approach them, expect to sign a release saying you won't sue at a later date if they make a product that incorporates your ideas. They have ideas also and yours may duplicates something they are already working on.
If you want to protect yourself, patent it first then approach them.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:15 AM   #21
deadcoyote

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the few people who initially thought the .327 was a pretty neat concept. The ammo price has just never come down, and availability is also no bueno. An 8 shot blackhawk would be a heck of a tool for around my spread, I just primarily carry a firearm around as a precaution for black bear and cougars. I've no doubt the .327 would do the job on foxes and feral cats, just wouldn't want to use it on bears. Of course our bears are usually quite small. I 've been getting a little over confident until I saw a huge feller about 5 days ago.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:10 PM   #22
ss30378

The blackhawk is a beefy 357 with as much steel thats in the 6 shot version you can loads the 357s hot enough to equal the ft lbs of 8 mere mortal 357s... The 357 blackhawk is about as overbuilt as they get (besides the FA and redhawk 357). I've got a few loads over 1000 ft lbs with cases that look great and fall out of the chamber still. Not recommending this, just saying...
Old October 31, 2012, 02:49 PM   #23
James K
Member In Memoriam

Believe it or not, the gun companies do talk to one another, so I expect Ruger has kept pretty good track on sales of the S&W 8 shot revolver and not seen enough there to encourage spending a lot of bucks to copy it.

The rationale for 7 and 8 shot revolvers was to be competitive with auto pistols limited to 10 round magazines by the assault weapons ban. With the AWB gone, at least for now, those revolvers come out on the short end of a weight to performance balance.

Jim
Old November 3, 2012, 09:23 PM   #24
deadcoyote

I see your point. I live in CA so I understand the craziness caused by the AWB/mag ban as it still exists as a state law here. Fortunately I'm a police officer so I'm exemt from the mag law, but that doesn't really matter since i carry a 9 shot 3" XD 40 anyhow.

On a side note, when I go to the range to shoot you wouldn't believe how many folks approach me to try to buy my "contraband" hi-cap magazines.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #25
newfrontier45

If S&W can do the N-frame, Ruger could do the large frame Blackhawk, its cylinder is larger. Why anyone would fall over themselves for such a critter, I have no idea.