The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 11, 2001, 02:24 AM   #1
Glamdring

Pax started this thread
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...threadid=58740
And I have to admit I was shocked, not by the scenario/event but by the approach many people believe they would take in such an event.

Seemed to me that many in that thread were treating it like a game. Where if you do something that *might* get you into legal dificulty you lost. While if you avoided legal problems but your SO was killed or died due to lack of action that was a win.

When I say legal trouble I am NOT talking about breaking the law. If you ever use a gun or other weapon you will probably have some legal headaches even if you do everything legally. That is life.

I am just wondering how others set their "mission goals" [for lack of a better term] for self defense? Or in other words what are they trying to do with their self defense mindset? Just survive? Protect others, or just protect certain others? What you expect to do in a self defense situation will certainly affect tactics.

In one scenario from The Red Zone http://www.recguns.com/TRZ.html
there was a lot of discussion about something similar to this. Some people argue that when a person has a CCW they have a higher moral/ethical obligation than sheeple do. I don't think that is a very strong arguement.

Most discussion about CCW, defensive use of weapons, etc has been mainly focused on the well being of the indivual with the CCW, while ignoring the tactics, legal issues, moral & emotional issues involved with acting in defense of someone else. Does that focus make sense?

Old March 11, 2001, 09:27 AM   #2
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

GD,
I think that I will always act to protect innocent life, so long as I am not taxed with what I feel to be a greater responsibility. If I were out with my (fictional) 2-year old daughter, for instance, I would put her safety first, over every historical president, the virgin Mary, Jesus, and all 12 apostles and Paul. Sorry! My point is that we all have to own some type of moral grounding, and then make the best choices we can with the information we have. We all only possess this mere instant in time, so we have to make the most of the life we have.

I will not live with regret, and I look into my mirror every day to be sure I still like the person I see looking back. That means that I do not have the luxury of "just walking by" if I see a clear instance when I can help someone in dire need.