The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 18, 2013, 07:24 PM   #26
weblance

I had to get out the list. I have Twenty-nine .22 handguns. I have several favorites.

Smith & Wesson 2213. Small, absolutely reliable, and can use the 12 shot magazine of its larger sibling, the S&W 422. Real sights.

Colt/Walther/Umarex 1911-22 Gold Cup Trophy. Yeah, I know its made of sintered metal. I dont care. Its accurate, reliable, and feels just like a real 1911.

Taurus PLY-22. Great little pocket rocket. Low cost, reliable, and simply FUN.

Ruger SR22P. Not terribly accurate. Feels great in my hand. Nice Double Action trigger, a rarity in a 22 pistol. Perfectly reliable.

Ruger Single Ten. All the great things of the Single Six, and 4 more rounds. Will shoot sub 2" groups at 25 yards all day long, with any ammo.

Ruger SP101-22. A beautiful Double Action revolver with a nice trigger. For a "do-all" 22 revolver, this one is it.
Old September 18, 2013, 07:33 PM   #27
Mobuck

I use/carry a Ruger 5.5" bull barrel 22/45 more than any other gun I own. I would estimate it's with me at least part of 200+ days a year. That gun will put a bullet on an 8" gong @ 100 meters consistently and I would depend on it to handle whatever need I encounter in my area.
Old September 18, 2013, 07:46 PM   #28
double bogey

Any Ruger auto. Long barrel for open sights, with optics it doesn't matter. Buckmarks are good too. A friend has a Berretta Neos which seems to be a good pistol. I had a S&W 22A that worked, as do their upper end models. Colt made some nice models. High Standards are good. Do you see a pattern. It's almost hard to go wrong. I don't care much for some of the smaller models, but thats probably due to pre-concieved notions that they would be hard to shoot accurately. Whatever you get, handle it, and if its comfy in your hand, go for it.

Oh, there are good revolvers too.

Last edited by double bogey; September 18, 2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add info
Old September 18, 2013, 09:59 PM   #29
TomInLa

I have a few, all semi's, and all for targets & plinking. I don't carry any either, prefer something a tad larger in dimater and smaller in overall size. Here's my list:

S&W Model 22A-1, 5.5" Barrel
Beretta U22 Neos, 7" Barrel
Browning Buckmark RX Pro Target
Sig Sauer 1911-22
Ruger MK III 22/45 Target, 5.5" Bull Barrel
Ruger MK III 22/45 Lite, 4.4" Threaded Barrel
Ruger MK III Target, 5.5" Stainless

They all shoot good, and are more accurate than I am, but I have fun shooting them. I'm lucky enough to say that none of mine are very picky about ammo either, except the Sig 1911-22. That heavy slide requires a little more velocity I guess.
Old September 18, 2013, 11:05 PM   #30
CosmicCoder

I have a Beretta U22 Neos 6". It's been very reliable and not picky about ammo. It's a great plinker and more accurate than I am.
Old September 18, 2013, 11:45 PM   #31
kilimanjaro

I have both autos and revolvers, the autos are Ruger Mk. II, a S&W, and a 1911 clone. The revolvers are Taurus, Ruger, Smith & Wesson.

I'm partial to the revolvers, just like them better.
Old September 19, 2013, 12:03 AM   #32
idek

I've had 4.

Walther P22
I got it with the 5" "target barrel," because I thought I'd like the longer sight radius and a little extra velocity. I later bought the regular 3.4" barrel sleeve and I liked the appearance and balance better this way. The sights and trigger were only so-so, and it often failed to feed the first cartridge or two when the magazines were loaded to capacity. It came with a laser sight that was fun at an indoor range, but it was too dim to be of much use outside (where I do 99% of my shooting). Sold the gun with little regret.

Browning Buckmark URX Camper
Came with 5.5" bull barrel. Replaced with Tactical Solutions 4" barrel, which dropped the weight from about 2 lbs. to 1.5 lbs. making it handy as a trail/camp gun. I've added Williams Firesights, which show up nicely even in limited daylight. I like the trigger. Not too fussy about ammo, but it doesn't seem to like Winchester Wildcats. Has the most comfortable grip (for me) of the four guns listed here.

Ruger MkIII Hunter
Stainless with 7.25" fluted barrel. Long barrel makes it quieter than the others and minimizes what little muzzle jump there is in a .22. Longer sight picture definitely helps my shooting, but I sometimes mount a red dot on it anyway. I maybe like the Buckmark trigger a little better, but I wouldn't complain about the Ruger. Eats any ammo I feed it. It's a bit long and heavy for a trail gun, but if I'm going for maximum accuracy from a handgun or were to hunt small game with a pistol, this be the gun I'd grab.

Taurus PT-22
The pistol has hand-filling grip, but can still fit in a pocket. It's not a bad-looking little thing and mine appears well-made. The small black sights, short sight radius, and long, heavy DAO trigger pull make accuracy a questionable proposition, which limits fun when plinking. The short barrel also makes it loud by .22 standards, and the low profile of the barrel--and, therefore, the slide--has resulted in slide bite on a few occasions... something I've never experienced with any other gun. Like the Walther, it struggles to feed the first cartridge out of a full magazine.

Last edited by idek; September 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old September 19, 2013, 07:17 AM   #33
mes228

Pistol

The best .22 pistol I've owned was the "real" Browning Buck Mark Pro Target 5.5 bull barrel. By "real" I mean the older version discontinued around 2003. The new one looks similar but is quite different in manufacture. Smith 41's, Colt Woodsman, Hi-Standard etc. have nothing over the original Browning.

For an inexpensive everyday .22 pistol the extremely ugly Beretta Neos is very reliable but has a poor trigger. Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.
Old September 19, 2013, 02:22 PM   #34
Sevens

I think I've got about ten .22 handguns. Nearest to my heart is a S&W Model 17-6, but I don't shoot it a lot.

For pure grins & giggles, my GSG1911-22 with the new mag followers (allowing 14 rounds) is a blast for hunting empty 12ga hulls.

LOVE my KMK-512, stainless, bull barrel Ruger Mark II. This gun can improve -ANY- range day.

Lately, I've fallen deeply in love (or re-fallen!) with Colt Woodsman variants. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing out there quite like them. (admittedly, I have never had the pleasure to work with a High Standard)

I love rimfire handgun shooting. I could do it all day long.
Old September 19, 2013, 05:24 PM   #35
tubeshooter

I have 7 total .22 handguns. Pretty sure I'm done, too.

4 semi-autos, 3 revolvers.
  • Buckmark Standard - reliable, no complaints. Comfortable grip. Now used as a loaner/backup.
  • Buckmark Hunter - also reliable. Handsome cocobolo grip panels. A bit longish for general use.
  • Ruger Standard MKIII, 6" - reliable, great balance. Good all-purpose gun. Feels tougher than the Buckmarks due to all steel construction. My go-to semi-auto .22.
  • Firestorm (Bersa) .22 - fun gun, surprisingly easy to shoot for short barrel length, sexy Walther PPK-like looks. Great gun if you get one that isn't picky (mine isn't).
  • Ruger Single Six, 5.5" stainless - built like a tank, surprisingly accurate. Only real knock against it would be the heavy weight. Lives in my fishing backpack.
  • S&W 317 with custom stainless cylinder - awesome kit gun. Long story behind and road to stainless cylinder. With nice wood boot grips, I tend to baby it. So I have jokingly named it "Princess".
  • Ruger SP-101 - What I really wanted all along, and ended up being the last one I got. They were hard to find for awhile there. Great all-around .22 revolver, I am very satisfied.

I don't need any more. Can't hardly feed the ones I got. Don't plan on selling any, although the Hunter has crossed my mind a time or two.
Old September 20, 2013, 12:47 PM   #36
Deja vu

I have a few but the one I am going to wright about is my Walther P22.

I recently got a suppressor (Silencer) for it and it has changed completely. No longer do I get all kinds of jams. The gun now runs as reliably as my Ruger MKII now.

Take the suppressor off and its goes to crap again.

That said if you are looking for a new 22 pistol skip the Walther P22 unless you plan to only shoot suppressed.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 20, 2013, 07:12 PM   #37
triggerhappy2006

Wow really no love for the Phoenix Arms? Not too many tip up fan's either though.
Old September 21, 2013, 07:54 PM   #38
Faulkner

The neat thing about .22 handguns is their are so many different flavors to own and they are generally affordable. I just did a quick count in my vault and I have 6 semi-autos and 5 revolvers in .22 LR. Five of them are Rugers.
Old September 21, 2013, 09:36 PM   #39
pete2

I have a Ruger Mark II and a couple High Standards for bullseye.
A Ruger Single Six for a belt gun
A full lug 6" S&W Model 17 for a fun gun
All are fun but serve different purposes. I want a 4" Model 17 or 18 and I'll be all set.
Old September 21, 2013, 11:47 PM   #40
PzGren

.22 Handguns

During last month my Korth was the rimfire handgun used exclusively. In S/A my S&W K-22 is as pleasant to shoot but the D/A of the Korth is unbelievably smooth for a reliable rimfire revolver.

When I have to shoot seriously, I go with the old Hämmerli 208.

Old September 22, 2013, 09:48 AM   #41
SaxonPig

Many years ago I did some silhouette shooting with 22 pistols but otherwise all my rim fire handguns are strictly for fun. I like autos and DA revolvers but I don't have a SA revolver in 22 caliber.

A sample of some favorites...

K22 from 1953.

Old September 22, 2013, 07:04 PM   #42
Sevens

That Colt Officer's Model Target...
I came close to buying one of those yesterday. It had some definite finish issues, spots and wear, all kinds of exterior marks that attack the "value" of the revolver. Otherwise, it felt as though it was in decent shape.

It was priced at $440 and I was able to walk away from it, but I'm wondering if I will live to regret that. I passed because I know precious little about Colt revolvers, I know nothing whatsoever about this particular model, and because I'm wholly addicted to the feel of a Smith & Wesson and because I enjoy doing the lion's share of my revolver shooting in double action. While I did not know how it would feel to shoot this revolver in double action, I went with the assumption that no matter how it felt, I would be left looking for the feel of a Smith & Wesson double action.

I also went to the show with no intention of buying a firearm, and I did buy two at the last one, so it would have had to be a complete no-brainer to buy on yesterday.

I suppose I will regret it in the long run.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:35 PM   #43
PT-92

My latest is the Bersa Thunder .22lr which makes lots of .22lr pistols&revolvers (not to mention rifles).

They have always been great for 'plinking' and of late have also become the 'acceptable norm' for tactical training as well (that is if one prefers to avoid the 'poor-house' while practicing) .
Old September 25, 2013, 12:05 AM   #44
4D5

I have a mixed bag

Ruger MKI MKII (there will be NO MKIII)
Browning Buckmark
High Standard
S&W M41
S&W M17
S&W M617
Challenger I & II
Thompson Center Contender 22 match bbl

All are pretty much relegated to plinking

Old September 25, 2013, 07:13 AM   #45
lapetrarca53

Bought a Phoenix Arms HP22a before the big "scare", when standard velocity ammo was plentiful. I bought two extra mags for it and have both the 3" and 5" barrels for it. No complaints with the gun, accurate and dependable. It's just a pain trying to find the right ammo for it.

Because of that, I just picked up an S&W M&P22. Man the thing cycles ANYTHING I feed it and, it's accurate and reliable. In the first week I had it, I put 300 rounds down the pipe of various brands and types of ammo. It ate it all up and spit it all out!
Old September 25, 2013, 01:41 PM   #46
Sevens

Quote:
when standard velocity ammo was plentiful
Just for the sake of info, this is a common error. The ammo that is most common, most available, most used, cheapest in priced and typically bought in bulk packs of 325 or 375 or 525 or 575 or in bricks (10 boxes of 50rds each) is not standard velocity ammo.

Basic, general, average .22LR became High Velocity a long, LONG time ago. Someone else can cite a historical reference, but I know the Colt Woodsman pistols upgraded their spec's to match the ammo in the early 1930's.

These days, Standard velocity ammo is available and it's more expensive than most all .22LR on the market. It is -THE- choice for serious target work and competition shooting. CCI Green Tag, Winchester T22, the Remington in the blue/green box, just about anything from Eley and countless others. This is today's "standard velocity" ammo.

Standard Vel and High Vel are also not to be confused with Hyper Velocity ammo, which is your CCI Stingers, Velocitors, the Reming Viper/Yellow Jacket, etc etc.
Old September 25, 2013, 02:57 PM   #47
skoro

.22 Pistols

Quote:
What ones do you prefer?
My favorite semiauto is a Ruger 22/45. Very accurate and a hoot to plink with.

I also have a pair of S&W revolvers; Models 17 and 18 with 4" barrels. Again, very accurate, great handling and a lot of fun at the range. I've noticed the prices have recently gone into the insane category, though.
Old September 25, 2013, 05:40 PM   #48
JERRYS.

P22, training and plinking

Mk II, plinking

LCR22, training

Buck mark, target, plinking