The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2007, 10:28 AM   #1
john in jax

Cutting down a 28" v/r bbl?

I want a short shotgun for camping/boating that will fit in one of those rubbermaid tubs/bins.

I bought an old, inexpensive Remington 12ga pump (copy of the 870) with the intention of cutting down the bbl to 18"-20", but it has a vent rib. How is the rib attached? Can I cut the bbl down at or just in front of one of the rib posts/supports without the rib coming loose?

I priced 18" and 20" bbls and they are all running +/-$100. That's a little more than I want to spend

Last edited by john in jax; June 7, 2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old June 7, 2007, 12:21 PM   #2
uzimon

Dont Pull That Vent Bud!

all you need is:
1. hacksaw with good blade
2. fine tooth file
3. hose clamp (optional)

choose your cut location at the forward end and flush with the vent bridge (whatever the thing is that supports the vent)

clamb around the bbl, because its difficult to keep from scratching the part of the bbl you wanna save.

make light cuts around diameter of bbl, leave the vent alone for now. gradually increase depth. cut vent last. finish with file

be sure of legal length before beginning.
close action and insert a rod until it meets the bolt. measure, and go from there
Old June 7, 2007, 01:28 PM   #3
john in jax

Thanks uziman I've cut a couple of plain bbls down, but never one with a vent rib.

Measuring from the front/face of the receiver (bolt doesn't protrude past that) I can cut at the front of a rib support at 18-1/8" or I can go to the front of the next one which is right at 20". I think I'm going 20" just so there will be no question as to it being legal.

Once it's cut I'm leaning towards putting on one of those fiberoptic sight sets.
Old June 7, 2007, 03:30 PM   #4
buckster

Cut it down

I did that to my Mav 88. Pulled the barrel, and used a miter box with locking pins and cut it at 22" and 1/8 inch in front of the rib with a hacksaw blade and then cut the rib back a bit. Turned out nice. I then slightly reamed the inside of the barrel to remove burrs and polished the tip of the rib. Now I have a 22" turkey/S/D S/G. The rib is attached strongly at those points, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old June 8, 2007, 08:12 AM   #5
john in jax

Thanks Buckster, I might give a try this weekend.
Old June 8, 2007, 09:28 AM   #6
uzimon

beware of those clip on front sights, the ones go over the vent. they come off and get lost too easily. maybe loctite would help?
Old June 8, 2007, 01:18 PM   #7
john in jax

I've got a set of Tru-Glo's (I think) on my Mossy 835, that are clamped on with little allen screws. Been thru a couple of "light-use" season with no issues, but locktite is an excellent suggestion and I'll probably use it.
Old June 8, 2007, 08:30 PM   #8
uzimon

post a pic if ya can, im interested in that sight, as my clip on went bye bye during like the 2nd time i used it $17 down the drain

hey i bn all over FLA. st pete, clwtr, tampa, naples. where you at?
Old June 22, 2007, 07:22 PM   #9
Forseti

You might be better off removing the barrel, and selling it on ebay, and then using the proceeds to get a new 18" barrel.

That way, everything is stock, preserving the resale value of the shotgun
Old June 22, 2007, 09:51 PM   #10
tulsamal

The worst thing about cutting a shotgun barrel is that you leave your choke on your bench instead of in the end of your barrel. I don't use total "cylinder bore" on much of anything. If that's the way it is just gonna be, you've got a very short range! Even 00 Buckshot works better with some choke.

Gregg
Old June 22, 2007, 10:50 PM   #11
wolverine350

make sure you deburr the inside of the barrel once you cut it
Thompson Center Encore 243