The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 30, 2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Rojoe67

Anti hunting group moving to ban dove hunting

Just read in a Michigan outdoor paper that the anti's are expected to get enough signatures on a dove hunting petition. The story sounded like it is a done deal and will force this new tried season out of the state. It is just a small step for the anti's but it gives the move they desire so much push. We need to take notice and watch the next item they will try to stop. I will do more research on this and write more as I learn it.

I should add the state of Michigan did a small scale dove hunt season last year (2004) in the state's southwestern corner. The DNR was happy with it's over all picture and many good things were heard from those who hunted.

Last edited by Rojoe67; April 30, 2005 at 07:13 PM. Reason: More info......
Old May 15, 2005, 04:20 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Antis and doves

The antis have a special place in their heart for mourning doves I guess. Right next door to you, in WI, they dicked around with the DNR and the court system, filing frivolous lawsuit after frivolous lawsuit to stop/halt/delay the hunting of doves. They finally gave up I guess, or ran out of inspiration, or something. Dove hunting has been legal for a couple of years now in WI, according to my WI buds, and no big fuss anymore.

I don't think the antis care that much about doves, or bloodshed, or "cruelty" as such, as much as they just want to stomp on people enjoying themselves in any way in which the antis don't specifically approve of. But I never heard of an anti-hunter/gun user being FOR anything. They just seem to want to prevent others' enjoyment.

Mebbe when the antis all have their way and nobody can do anything except play tiddlywinks, they'll be happy, having dragged everyone else down to their own level of unhappiness.

--Smokey Joe
Old May 15, 2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Rojoe67

Joe......

I hear you buddy and agree with you 100%. It sickens me to no end how they can infiltrate our public schools too. My son mentioned last week that he and his father (me) went up to the U.P. for a little R&R weekend of shooting and a nice long canoe trip. Well, the canoe part was fine but when he spoke of target shooting the teaching staff came unglued and sounds like they darn near pissed on themselves.......... No dought the social service folks will be investigating me, the terrible father whom subjects his 13 year old young man to violence and distruction (target shooting and safety)......... Not to brag but he is on his way to being an Eagle Scout and plays sports too. His grades are average for a young fella with all that on his mind and thinking that girls are fun to look at too. That much said, he is an awful lot like his old man. I never broke any hunting laws, follow the rules on everything from being a good neighbor right down to helping a person with a flat tire on the highway....... And not one day have I spent on the wrong side of the jail's walls...... Makes ya wonder how long we will have the rights we so long fought for........and enjoyed........?
Old May 15, 2005, 09:20 PM   #4
MeekAndMild

Quote:
The antis have a special place in their heart for mourning doves I guess
Probably because doves look sweet and defenseless, but are actually bloodthirsty killers. When I was in college my ornithology professor had a pair of them in a big roomy cage. He put a third one in the cage and they pecked it to death and tried to eat it.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:32 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Yeah, meek, kinda like hummingbirds. They're cute and fun, but they are brutally violent to one another when it comes to food or sex (like most animals).