The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 2, 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Idaho Spud

Short arbor issue

Old guy just getting interested in BP Colt replicas with dilemma: Pietta or Uberti? I know of the short arbor issues with Uberti and am leaning toward Piettas for this reason. A search here also showed a couple of ways to "lengthen" the arbor to make it bottom in the hole (I have my own idea on this) that don't seem too difficult to do. Basically, my question is approx. how much length (nominal) are we talking about in most cases?

Also, should this influence my choice of one brand over another? My opinion is that something I buy should be "right" before it gets to me. On the other hand I realize that some tweaking will probably be necessary anyway, no matter which brand I get. Looks like easy "fix" on the Uberti. Don't mind tinkerin'.

Oh, In case I didn't say it I'm kinda stuck on the 1851 Navy London (36 cal, of course). What say you? Thanks.

Last edited by Idaho Spud; November 2, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old November 2, 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
denster

Lengthening a short arbor is no trick. However Pietta's quality has conme up so much that paying extra for Uberti is a waste of money in my opinion. Cabelas has a great sale right now on their Pietta Hickock at $300 it is the finest revolver Pietta has ever made. Perfect right out of the box.
Old November 2, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Idaho Spud

Thanks, denster, that's kinda my thinking, too. Also, $5 shipping til the 6th aint bad, either. I'm really getting the itch. Done a few hours (days!)of research on
BP revolvers. My friend just got a 1858 Rem clone, but I'm partial to the Colts.

edit: birthday's next week, so I think I deserve a new toy.
Old November 2, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4
brazosdave

I have had zero problems with either of my Piettas. They are a pleasure to shoot! I haven't been out to the range yet to shoot my Uberti, but I'm gonna fix that issue soon, lol!
Old November 2, 2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Idaho Spud

Thanks, bd, I've only got the itch at the moment. Hope it doesn't turn into a full-blown addiction. I'm married.
Old November 2, 2012, 05:26 PM   #6
idaram

I have a number of Piettas, the newer ones are very nice, not that the 1990's were bad, it's just a FACT that Pietta has really improved their quality control. Cabela's has free in store delivery all the time.

Regards, Andy
Old November 2, 2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Idaho Spud

Thanks, Andy, but the nearest Cabelas is a coupla hundred miles from me. Live out in the boonies.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Hawg

The only thing Uberti has over Pietta now is the fact that they do put the Italian markings in out of the way places while Pietta still plasters it on the side of the barrel.

Quote:
Hope it doesn't turn into a full-blown addiction.
It most assuredly will.
Old November 2, 2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Idaho Spud

Yeah, I heard about the proofs, etc. I'll live with that if I don't have to deal with the arbor thing. I want to shoot this so looks don't really matter.

All my other shooting has become an addiction, so this probably won't be any different. ;-) Oh well, it's only money.

Last edited by Idaho Spud; November 2, 2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old November 2, 2012, 08:31 PM   #10
brazosdave

lol, I'm married too, I just have a VERY understanding wife when it comes to me and guns
Old November 2, 2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Idaho Spud

Actually my wife is pretty understanding, and she works in a gun shop, to boot!

It's just that she wants another carry gun (XDs) and I wanna go BP!
Old November 2, 2012, 09:49 PM   #12
freedom475

I don't know if I have a favorite between the Uberti and the Pietta....the Uberti in most cases is better built but the Pietta's are such a bargain that it is easy to overlook there cosmetic "adjustments"...It is easy to see that Piettas are a little "sculpted" together before they are blued...the Uberti's usually come cleaner built..but at a premium price.

Cabela's is "the" place to buy Pietta.

But if you want the Colt style Uberti..then these sites may be worth a look too.
http://www.williamssports.us/Product...ns/uberti.html
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/uber...087_16843.html

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old November 2, 2012, 10:00 PM   #13
bushmaster65

Hey spud...
I had the same itch for years and found a 2nd gen dragoon at a gun show in July. Found this forum and started reading about BP AFTER I bought the thing. Went to the range, fell head over heals in love and ordered My Uberti WALKER in Aug. The only reason I'm slowing down is because of the holiday season and I have to spend money on someone other than myself
As far as the arbor length goes, There is a link to an article in this forum that shows you how to check the arbor length. Both of my Uberti's were spot on.
However, It is the general consensus among those I have talked to that Uberti's are a bit pot luck as far as quality these days. Not major defects, just pissy little things that aggravate. I'm happy with mine and am considering pietta guns for the future. When I get enough of them I will send them to a smith en mass and have the lettering filled in on the barrel.
Have fun with your future addiction.
Bush
Old November 2, 2012, 10:37 PM   #14
Idaho Spud

Well, I scratched the itch and got the 1851 Navy London from Cabela's.

I looked at the Hickok gun, denster, and liked it a lot but the London looked so sinister, so I went with it. Hope it's as good as you said the Hickok's are. Price was the same.

I'm not a Cowboy guy, this is strictly for range and foolin' aroun'. The gal talked me into the Cabela's Visa card, so now I'm probably really in trouble.

Thanks to you all for the info and advice, today.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:49 PM   #15
Captainkirk

I managed to keep my BP itch under control with 3 revolvers and a rifle until two years ago, I now own more than 20 and have bought & sold 10 this year alone.
If you think you're gonna stop after the London, You have another thing coming, Mister!
Old November 3, 2012, 12:13 AM   #16
denster

Idaho

Not a thing wrong with the London. It is not up to the Hickok standards but it is so close you probably wouldn't notice the difference.
The Cabela's visa is neat. I use mine to pay bills buy groceries and gas etc. and pay it off every month. About every three to four months I have enough in points for a new gun or other boy toys.
Old November 3, 2012, 05:28 AM   #17
Idaho Spud

Captainkirk, you don't have the itch, you have a full-blown case of eczema!!

denster, I probably won't know the difference, since I've never had one of these in my hand, yet. Feelin' like a kid at Christmas, though.

This'll give me time to accumulate some accoutrements, such as a nipple wrench, speaking of which mebbee someone has a favorite? Thinkin' of makin' one from an extra nutdriver in the TB.

Looks like this could become an expensive hobby, but then I suspected this.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:45 PM   #18
Captainkirk

Don't say I didn't warn ya!
Old November 4, 2012, 08:12 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

This is a pretty good thread....

....I don't really have anything of substance to add, but not having anything to say, never impeded me from talking. (I brush my teeth with 777 so I can shoot off my mouth.)

I like that Navy London.

I have an Uberti Cattleman cap and ball and a Pietta equivalent, cap and ball and there is very little difference in the two revolvers. Pietta new was a hundred bucks less and I think the quality of Uberti over Pietta does not warrant the price. I also have an Uberti cattleman in .45 Long Colt and it is nearly identical to the Cap and Ball pistol.

Please note that I am only a casual shooter and many on the forum who shoot more than I do might see a difference that I am unable to detect.

An additional consideration is that the folks who take revolvers and smooth them up post manufacture seem to like Uberti's (witness Cimarron). I am not sophistocated enough to know why that is, but it may be an artifact of days gone by when there was a more pronounced difference in quality.

I'm just sayin....
Old November 4, 2012, 08:42 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
An additional consideration is that the folks who take revolvers and smooth them up post manufacture seem to like Uberti's (witness Cimarron). I am not sophistocated enough to know why that is, but it may be an artifact of days gone by when there was a more pronounced difference in quality.
Cimarron is selling Pietta's now.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:09 AM   #21
Doc Hoy

We'h'ell-h'ell

That tells us something, Huh?

I dint know it.

A day is not wasted, upon which I learn something.