The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 23, 2008, 09:52 PM   #1
hunter64

Does Lyman RB molds leave a sprue when poured

I have the Lee RB mold for my revolvers and it leaves a flat where the sprue is cut, is a lyman mold better?
Old February 23, 2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Hawg

They all do that. Balls without a sprue are swaged.
Old February 24, 2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Pahoo

Hawg Haggen +1

Round balls are very forgiving and the sprue area will not pose any problems. I always load my balls sprue up. Might suggest you weigh them to insure consistancy. Be Safe !!!
Old February 24, 2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Jbar4Ranch

I've found that Lee moulds leave a less pronounced sprue than Lyman, but all cast balls will have a sprue. I've also found that positioning of the sprue when loading doesn't have a very dramatic effect on accuracy. Put fifty or so in a rotary tumbler for 20-30 minutes and the remains of the sprue will be virtually undetectable. Of course, they look like miniature lead golf balls when you're done, but, once again, I don't see any adverse effect on accuracy.

SASS 47015
Old February 24, 2008, 02:07 PM   #5
ED21

If you can't live with the sprue get yourself a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Put enough balls in to cover no more than half the bottom. Place in the bed of your truck or your trunk and drive around for a week or so. The sprue should be gone or greatly reduced. If the sprue is not gone to your liking, cut more of it off with side cutters before putting in the pan. For match shooting or where accuracy counts, weigh the balls before using.
Old February 24, 2008, 02:34 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

All I ever do is cut the sprue with the regular sprue cutter on the mold then run a piece of rough sandpaper across the ball to remove the little nub remaining. Seems to work OK.

Jim