The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 20, 2015, 12:55 AM   #1
JohnKSa
Staff

Dallas Safari Club Convention...

A fun way to spend a day if you're into hunting.

There was an attempt at a 30.06 sign prohibiting concealed carry at the show entrance but the sign was too small to be compliant and therefore had no weight of law. The convention center itself is not posted.

It's more expensive than a typical gun show. $15 for parking and another $20 to get into the show.

Outfitters/guides/PHs from just about every country where hunting is legal. African and South American countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Spain--you name it. Ivan Carter was there in his company's booth across from the Hornady ammunition exhibit.

Pretty much everything to do with hunting from stands, camo, custom knives, ammunition, firearms, feeders, taxidermists, long range shooting accessories, and other gear on display.

Some gunsmiths were on the scene. Bill Laughridge was there with Cylinder and Slide.

Unlike SHOT Show, you can buy things from the exhibitors. Like SHOT Show, some of the big name exhibitors have giveaways and free stuff. Pens, caps, other typical swag.

There were some fundraising raffles/drawings/silent auctions, etc. Looked like DSC sponsored a number of those.

Lots of firearms on exhibit and for sale. Anything from pistols (even double-barreled 1911 pistols) to high-end double rifles. Some with prices marked. Some with no marked prices--if you have to ask...

Lots of hunting related pictures, jewelry, sculptures, etc. Some jerky and fudge vendors, but most exhibits were pretty well focused on hunting/shooting.

Apparently Richard Childress is really into hunting. He had an exhibit on the upper level.

It was pretty large, but you can make a leisurely walk through the entire area in 5 hours. If you make lots of stops, you may need to take a full day, or perhaps even buy a 2 day pass for $30.

There was decent food available although the prices weren't great. Figure you're going to spend in the neighborhood of $15 for lunch (sandwich, fries and a drink).

I've been wanting to go for a number of years and I finally have. I don't know if I'll go back next year or not but it was an interesting way to spend a day. It's a 4 day show (Thursday - Sunday). I took a day off from work and went on Friday hoping that the crowds wouldn't be too bad. It was still pretty busy.
Old January 20, 2015, 07:28 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

I went. Your review pretty well covers it. I got to handle some guns that cost a lot more than I did, heck more than my house cost, LOL.

I noticed a lot of very pretty, high-end, gentlemanly guns and not so many beat-the-bush guns, but there were some there, too.
Old January 20, 2015, 10:07 AM   #3
CowTowner

I noticed lots of custom gun makers all making "The World's Most Accurate Rifle". I wonder which one really is?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy