The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 2, 2010, 08:48 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Italian military surplus

I think this is firearms related enough I can probably skirt by. I won't be upset if the Mods feel it isn't though. Maybe in C+R or something.

I bought a surplus Italian Wool Blanket from cheaper than dirt. For $20 it is one hell of a blanket. I figure I can use it for camping/hunting, keep it in my car for emergencies, lay out on grass for picnic/concert, set up on it like a shooting mat while predator hunting, BOB, or any number of things. It is almost a wool rug more than a blanket. Rough as can be and stiff. The type of thing you could drag across Europe for half a decade and still expect it to keep you warm at night.

It smells terrible. It is supposedly "military mothballed" which CTD left out of the description. A pattern of misdescribed items has led me to avoid doing business with them, but described as "brand new" I figured there was very little wiggle room. The odor is just like regular mothballs, except so much stronger. I seriously wondered if they dunked it in cosmolene+ at first as I was unfamiliar with the odor but it just made me think long term storage. Of course I thoroughly enjoy all things surplus so that adds to the attraction.

It is currently soaking in my bathtub on its 4th water change with mild agitation delivered via one of my telescoping plastic walking sticks. It still smells terrible. The smell has abated a bit, but I think it would still come through from my trunk.

Found this suggestion via google:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5761497_clea...l-blanket.html
Also found a place where it said if you add 3/4 cup vinegar to it in the wash that will help. I added 2 cups to my bathtub. The vinegar smell covered up the mothball smell at least.
I can't just hang it outside for a month b/c it is winter in Ohio.

Anyone have any better ideas? A similar non-surplus blanket would set me back a lot more money and this was a Christmas present, so not figuring this out might get awkward.

If there is a good way to get the smell out I might even buy a few more.
Old January 2, 2010, 08:52 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

If I do get more i will purchase from:
http://www.theepicenter.com/military_surplus.html

As the price is not only a little better, but they also admit the things smell bad.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:26 AM   #3
msb45

Wonder if you could seal it in a garbage bag with baking soda to such up the smell? Another thought would be to use Febreeze and hang it outside to air.
virtue, and enjoy more happiness, than a thousand slaves."

- Samuel Adams - 1774
Old January 4, 2010, 03:47 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

baking soda water has been suggested.
It smells a lot better now. I have it in front of an air vent spread over a cot.
I think it will work out well. May buy a few more.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:24 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

After taking it out of the tub I laid it out on a cot in front of a register to dry. Two days later the smell was all gone. Going to purchase a few more and just start out with them on the cot with air flowing over them.
Old January 7, 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
bcrash15

I bought the same blanket. I hung it outside on the clotheslines for a week and a half (including during a couple rainstorms) and when I brought it back inside it didn't smell like mothballs anymore and actually smelled kind of good (an outdoors fresh type smell).