The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2009, 02:21 PM   #1
jjohnson

Varmint Grenade vs VMAX

Hi, Gents!

New to this particular forum, been on others a long time....

I'm looking for info on how Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets compare to the Hornady V-Max bullets. Last year, the thread here was a bit critical, and it's here : http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=326612

I wonder if there's more recent info to be had. I would expect that any production or quality problems have been ironed out - I'd like to believe I could use them to great effect in my Rem 700VSS 22-250, but if they're not as reliable as the V-Max, I'll stick with what I know works.

Any info to offer? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jjohnson; January 14, 2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Spellczech
Old January 14, 2009, 05:29 PM   #2
ForneyRider

Why not throw Speer TNT, Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint, and Sierra BlitzKing into the mix as well?

I like the V-Max, but they are not as super-destructo as I thought. Occasionally, we see pieces of jacket left in the game, but the exit hole(s) are usually kablooey. My dad has taken deer, feral hog, and coyotes with .22-250 50gr V-max loaded to factory(~3850fps). Of course, he has also taken same game with 375H&H and 225gr Hornady.
Old January 14, 2009, 05:50 PM   #3
DaveInPA

The 50 grain Varmint Grenade is the least accurate bullet I've tried in my .223

I couldn't get it to group worth a rat's behind with any of the powders I tried. I have had GREAT luck with 50 and 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips, though.