The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old January 19, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1
gordo b.

AK mag change question?

I know probably not the perfect forum to ask this question BUT there was an article last month in SWAT about AK training:
I have taken "carbine" classes under a couple noted trainers and used an AK and an M-9 preparing for overseas areas (was the only one!So I took some razzing). One trainer showed the magazine change on an AK as:
Grip the fresh mag with the support hand while palming the AK with firing hand depressing mag release, strike the depleted mag with a horizontal stroke with the magazine rib in the support hand until the empty mag is stripped forward and out. Insert and rock into lock the fresh mag.
Now I can do this pretty quick but I found instantly I had to lose the front vertical grip on my prefered AMD 63 to do this. Is this the proper AK reloading sequence somebody like UMMMM Pat Rogers reccomend?
gordo b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

I teach multiple ways, and what you describe does not sound like any of them.
I learned this about 10 years ago from a very sharp guy.

Trigger finger straight
Remove support hand from AK and access new magazine. Grab mag at about mid body.
Move the fresh magazine along the bottom of the trigger guard, sweeping forward- it will activate the mag release, and push the old magazine out of the mag well.
Rotate your support hand and insert fresh mag into the mag well.

Hope this helps.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2008, 05:40 PM   #3
gordo b.

Thanks ,10-4 and Semper Fi !
gordo b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

And Semper Fi to you as well Brother!

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2008, 11:17 PM   #5
MTMilitiaman

I prefer this way, but without the gay thingy on the magazine, and left-handed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz5LPaMhlOc
Old January 21, 2008, 11:09 PM   #6
Greg Bell

That dude totally secured his room before mom called him down for dinner!

But that is basically how I do my mag changes (unless I am just topping off).
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Greg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Crosshair

Any way to change the magazine and retain the empty magazine? Most of the ways I have seen it are useless in terms of retaining the spent magazines. Unlike in the movies, I don't have an endless supply of magazines.

I already have a method I use that works well. I get a new mag in and retain the old one. No, I am not going to win any speed awards with it, but it works and is reasonably quick. I'm not going to post it though as I don't want to debate the merits of my method. I just want to know what "professional" methods are out there for changing mags and retaining the empty mag on an AK.
Old January 22, 2008, 03:45 AM   #8
oldbillthundercheif

Check out the Polish wiggle technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgH6...page=1&t=t&f=b

One more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hi20TI_jA

I usually just take the mag out, set it down, snap another one in there, and run the bolt without all the slapping and blazing-fast arm movement but what the hell do I know?
oldbillthundercheif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2008, 10:07 PM   #9
CGSteve8718

I don't want to come off as sounding like a know it all or internet commando but thinking about retaining your magazines is setting you up to be stuck in a training mentality.

Hypothetically, in a gunbattle, you wouldn't think about retaining your magazines. I've never done training offered by private trainers but the training that I have had in the military taught me to drop your mag, reload, and eliminate "threat". We picked our mags up in "safe mode", after string of fire.

I can see retaining it if you're behind cover, but otherwise if you have to be shooting and moving because there are so many threats, you can't and wouldn't do that.

I can only see it as a "situation will dictate" kind of thing, otherwise, am I missing something?
Old January 24, 2008, 03:19 AM   #10
Crosshair

Quote:
I can only see it as a "situation will dictate" kind of thing, otherwise, am I missing something?
That's exactly it. Knowing how to do something only one way is sure to get you into trouble eventualy.

The way I look at it, if you are behind cover and have the ability to retain the mag, retain it. otherwise just get the gun reloaded. I'm thinking along the lines of a SHTF situation where replacement mags are not readily available like they are in the military.