The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
DBAR

Lead bullet storage?

I was just wondering. I've run across a bunch of old bullets, and the lead was all discolored. I've just started loading lead, but I've been hand loading for years. I've heard that Lead bullets shrink with time, is that true? What's with the lead projectile turning white? Is that just the lube? Once I get my load right for my .45's, I was thinking of loading up a couple of thousand, and thinking of storeing some in some ammo cans. I'd of course rotate the inventory as I continued to shoot, and reload. Would I have to worry about the lube?

Just a bit curious?

DBAR
Old November 7, 2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Farmland

Some people call it mold, others have another name for it. This happens when the lead is exposed to air over time. You should be careful with the sut created from this mold.

I have had the happen once and I simply sprayed the bullets with some WD40 then wiped them off. It did get rid of the mold & dust. In addition it keep them from getting this mold back.

I'm not going to tell you this is the correct way to get rid of the mold but it worked for me and the bullets fired fine after being loaded and sitting for awhile.
Old November 7, 2009, 08:34 PM   #3
croc4

Its not mold, its called "lead white" (lead will oxodize over time), this is what was used in centuries past to make white oil paint used by fine artists (Rembrant for example).

I would suggest that if you are going to store them for an extended period of time, separate them into what ever lot size makes sense and vaccum seal them.

Having said that I'm guilty of not sealing mine yet, but I plan too.

Croc4
Old November 7, 2009, 08:46 PM   #4
GP100man

I have some in zip locs in plastic ice cream buckets stored in old refridgerator ???

Possibly some since `83 & still shiney
Old November 8, 2009, 12:33 AM   #5
DBAR

Thanks guys. I guess I'll zip lock them, and put them in my ammo cans. The ammo cans have the typical rubber around the lid. I'll see how that works.
Old November 8, 2009, 02:36 AM   #6
troy_mclure

get some of those oxygen absorbing packs you get in over the counter pill bottles, or beef jerky. those will absorb the oxygen and keep them from oxidizing(if it were iron it would be called rust).

or a light coat of oil before packing away.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 8, 2009, 03:04 AM   #7
Crosshair

I tumble lube all my cast bullets so they are already sealed from oxygen.