The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 13, 2009, 10:48 PM   #1
oncall

870 Capacity Issues

Just picked up my NIB 870 Tactical with the Remington magazine extension.

However it only want to accept 6 shells instead of 7. I disassembled and reassembled the extension and still 6 not 7.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ross
Old April 13, 2009, 10:50 PM   #2
LoneStarWings

If it's the one with the 18.5" barrel and the extension is flush with the end, it only holds 6 shells. Remington calls this a "7-shot".
Old April 14, 2009, 03:52 AM   #3
spyderdude

You get 6 in the tube and one in the chamber making it a 7 shot capacity shotgun. My 870 has a tube extension too and it only holds 6 rounds in the tube, which is more than enough for its intended purpose (home defense). I don't keep a shell in the chamber, it takes a second to get one in there.
Old April 14, 2009, 04:28 AM   #4
Nnobby45

My 870 has a two rd. extension which means a mag. capacity of 6.

Yours does, too. There's nothing wrong with your mag. extension.

However, since I keep the magazine loaded all the time, I load five to keep from stressing out the mag. spring over time--making it a 5 shot. With a little warning of trouble, I have the option to load one in the chamber and top of the tube for seven.
Old April 14, 2009, 06:04 AM   #5
Homerboy

I have another post on the Remington mag extension. While shooting last week, the mag extension seperated from the gun and the spring shot out! I had cleaned it a week before and I know I securely tightened it down. The extension shifted a bit with the recoil and just yanked it off the tube. I had never tightened the barrel clamp before because I never loosened it to begin with. I tightened it after the incident and it only turned a little bit. Gonna take it out again this week, but if it happens again, I'm taking it off and going to the standard 4 shot tube.
Old April 15, 2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Ruthless4christ

Wow homerboy i guess thats that seventh round in the tube everyone keeps looking for!