The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 8, 2005, 05:46 PM   #26
w4klr

Wayne,

I do like your defense line up, it seems (and is most likely) extremely effective and well thought out.

My main concern is spending time changing weapons, and leaving some behind in case a breach is made.

With an MP5 and 90rnds, plus a USP 45, I'm set for a while.

For some reason when I think of home invasion, the Tony Montana shootout scene comes to mind.

With the 3 magazine bracket, switching magazines in a tactical situation is no sweat, and takes no time whatsoever.

And to quote my DI in the Corps "Overkill is better than no kill at all sir".

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best I would say.
Old April 8, 2005, 06:00 PM   #27
stephen426

w4klr,

Since you are SWAT, you can disregard any of my negative comments. I'm sure you have had extensive training and that even if you were forced to shoot with whatever weapon, it would most likely be justified. It is highly possible that you will face revenge attacks from family or gang members that you have either arrested or killed. Thank God that is not the case for most of us on this board.

For the common Joe Schmoe such as myself, I hope I will never have enemies to the point where I will need automatic weapons to defend myself. I for one think most people will be deterred by my 85 lb. akita's grin. If they get past her and trip the alarm, I will be armed to the teeth with my Remington 870 and .40 Sig 229. My wife will be armed with the cell phone and a .357 GP 100. If I'm still alive after all that, I'll grap the AR-15 loaded with varmit rounds from Hornady. How's that for a home defense plan?
Old April 8, 2005, 06:02 PM   #28
univtxattorney

For Home Defense, I have 48 guns strategically placed throughout my one-bedroom studio apartment. For Personal Defense, I have 62 guns strategically placed on my body at all times, even in the shower.
Old April 8, 2005, 06:20 PM   #29
USP45usp

w4klr,

There are places out there that offer protection classes with fully auto (or controlled bursts) and never really thought about using one for HD.

I guess in a way, even gun owners get alittle when thinking of using a fully auto for PD/HD and that shows that we're even affected by the media and the anti's .

Wayne
Old April 8, 2005, 06:20 PM   #30
stephen426

WOW! univetxattorney, that must be a hell of a workout. Do you wear full body armor as well? Stop trolling man!
Old April 8, 2005, 06:41 PM   #31
w4klr

Well, what can I say then.

The weapons furnished to me from BSO are mine to use at my discretion. To say that using an MP5 is excessive or too little is for my judgement alone, since none of you protect my family from the high profile situations I have been in.

I honestly don't think it is within anyone's place to say what is or isn't sufficient for another's defense.

On the other hand, the reactions by knowing I'm prepared to defend my family with an automatic weapon may also be influenced by the media don't you think?

All a double edged sword of controversy, which side we choose is up to us though.
Old April 8, 2005, 06:42 PM   #32
USP45usp

Whoa, read my post #29 (dang, hit the wrong key and posted before I was done).

What I meant was that I have seen classes in the use of full auto as PD/HD and "I" never really thought about using one.

And that the = unhappy and = embarassed that my first reaction was instead of thinking about it first.

Wayne
Old April 8, 2005, 07:34 PM   #33
fwcofficer

W4KLR, how long have you worked for BSO?
#20 Tony Stewart
Old April 8, 2005, 09:59 PM   #34
w4klr

Long enough to be vested
Old April 8, 2005, 10:08 PM   #35
fwcofficer

How's that, when according to your QRZ.com profile, you just graduated high school about a year ago, and not even old enough to buy a handgun? If you are that concerned with your family's safety, you may not want to make your callsign your username because your address can be looked up. I am also an amateur radio operator and I hate the fact that people can look me up on a database like that.
#20 Tony Stewart
Old April 8, 2005, 10:11 PM   #36
w4klr

Wrong person, neighbor's son is a ham he has a catchy call, I never studied long enough to get my ticket, I show up to Palmetto meetings.
Old April 8, 2005, 10:13 PM   #37
branham91

I had to finish my post quickly so here is my thought process on home defence. First if I had time to spend training a good dog to not **** or piss on the floor then that is what I would do. I don't-- So I got the motion detector. I live alone so I dont have to worry about false alarms. I positioned it so that when an intruder tries to come up the steps to my bedroom -it will go off. This is important because an intruder will likely sneek in your home undected without an alarm or dog. Being in a deep sleep and having an intruder on top of you may not give you time to get your gun and your reflexes will not be sharp. If I do supect an intruder I have a Ruger GP100 on my nightstand positioned for a quick grab. It is also good to practice grabbing your weapon. I can turn on a light by my night stand also which faces the door to my bedroom. Given enough time I would keep the revolver in hand and pick up my Mossberg 500. I also charge my cell phone by the bed along with having a flashlight there also with blue light sticks to stick in the window for easy police view.

I dont worry about getting broke into while I am awake because I keep a Makarov with hollow points and a HK USP 40 at hand. Let me know what you think. Any holes in this system. It may seem paranoid but after watching "It takes a theif" and Court TV dealing with intruders that break in and kill people with a knives It makes my feel better
Old April 8, 2005, 10:47 PM   #38
univtxattorney

Quote:
WOW! univetxattorney
come on man... spell my sn right...

Quote:
that must be a hell of a workout
it is... you should try it...

Quote:
Do you wear full body armor as well?
No. just armored underwear.

Quote: