The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 13, 2010, 06:11 PM   #1
wpcexpert

Looking for some help in Mississippi.

Going to be in South Mississippi for the first two weeks of deer season. I will be in Biloxi, MS TDY at Keesler AFB. I will be there 9 Sept - 19 Oct. MS offers a 14 day hunting license so I'm going to take advantage. I'll have 3 weekends to scout and 3 weekends to hunt. I've been doing homework online. The closest WMA that opens up 1 Oct is 2.5 hours away, but I'll be there.

I guess I am throwing out some feelers for anyone that might have a lease or land that a responsible, hard working hunter/fellow TFL member could hunt on. Or maybe some info on Tallahalla WMA.

Appreciate it guys.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 16, 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
cole k

I’m not going to be any help with lease but google Camp Shelby. Camp Shelby is a military training post about 50 miles north of Keesler on US Hwy 49. I’ll bet that they will have some areas open to hunting.
Old August 17, 2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Mike In Charleston

Edited Somehow I responded to one post and it appeared on another.
Old August 19, 2010, 12:06 AM   #4
james baggett

Places to hunt

My son and I hunt the Pascagoula WMA and Ward Bayou WMA both of which are only about 30min from the Biloxi. We hunt with bow and gun for deer, hog, squirrel, and raccoon. Always successful. Only problem is that it is swamp hunting with about 5 miles of hikiing (no 4 wheelers allowed) through bottomland swamp and crossing several sloughs. Look at attachments. We know where this big boy lives and plan to pop him Oct 1st.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hog 1.jpg (227.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by james baggett; August 19, 2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old August 19, 2010, 12:46 AM   #5
wpcexpert

I saw him in your thread asking about weight. Good hog no doubt. I thought all the WMA's close to Biloxi didn't open up until Oct 15th. At least that's what is says online for management zone 2.

Yeah, I just checked, neither of those WMA's open up till 15 Oct for deer. I don't know if they do a special season that opens for hogs on the first.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; August 19, 2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old August 19, 2010, 03:12 AM   #6
Teirst

You are gonna be right in my neck of the woods. I am stationed at the Sea Bee base that is about 10 minutes from keesler. Wish I could get out and hunt this year but will be stuck on crutches for another couple months.
Old August 19, 2010, 08:28 AM   #7
james baggett

Oct 1st hunt

Opossum, raccoon, and bobcat may be hunted on Oct 1. Hogs can be hunted during any open season on anyother game. Check on this.
Old August 19, 2010, 05:54 PM   #8
wpcexpert

Gotcha
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 19, 2010, 08:46 PM   #9
cole k

Bow season for deer opens 10/01/10.
Old August 30, 2010, 09:39 PM   #10
publius

Pretty sure there is some public hunting on the Stennis Space Center land.