The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2012, 10:44 PM   #1
AdamSean

Potential problem or just needs to be worked in?

Ok, I just picked up a new pistol this week. It doesn't matter what kind it is, but I will tell you its a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm. I have not taken it out to shoot yet, but I did clean it from all the sticky grease they package them with and lubed it up. While I was handling it, I noticed something I have never noticed before on any pistol. If you press the front of the slide back about a quarter of an inch to do a brass check and lightly release, the slide will not go back into full battery. But if you press the rear of the slide just a bit it goes back into full battery.

Now this does not happen when the takedown pin is removed, but only when it is inserted. I am wondering if this just means I need to take the gun out and shoot it a few hundred times to smooth everything out. I have noticed that my Glocks are quite stiff until I get about 500 or 600 rounds through them then they are nice and smooth.

This is what it should look like.

This is me pressing it back.

And this is what happens when you release. Notice the guide rod protruding a little.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Rob228

I've always been in the habit of giving the rear of the slide a bump with the heel of my palm after doing a brass check.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:33 AM   #3
RsqVet

It should not do what you are describing, are you press Checking with an empty mag in the gun so the slide stop is causing increased resistance? Only thing I could think that might induce what you describe.

I would put a few 100 down range and see if it resolves, I suspect it will.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:38 AM   #4
chris in va

This is typically the test with Glocks to find out if the mainspring is worn out.

However in your case it's just new and needs to be 'warmed up'. My friend bought a new 229 a few years ago and it had numerous FTF issues until about the 400rd mark.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:11 PM   #5
AdamSean

I tried the same with the display at the store and it does not do it. But then again the displays have been brass checked and cycled hundreds of times. I have been cycling the slide while watching TV and it seems to be getting better.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Sport45

What did you use to lube the rails?

I'll admit to running my guns pretty wet, but yours looks absolutely dry.
Old November 7, 2012, 11:10 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

Go shoot it.
Denis
Old November 7, 2012, 11:17 PM   #8
chadk7

My Sig p250c wouldnt go all the way into battery when I first got it either. If I pulled the slide back just a little or if I rode the slide forward instead of just slingshotting it, it wouldnt go all the way forward. It went away after I shot it a few times though. I would try a few range sessions and see if it improves.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2