The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2012, 03:42 PM   #26
pete2

I like all steel guns for shooting but for carry I'd go with the aluminum frame. An all steel Sig is heavy. A friend has a 45 acp all steel it's a pleasure to shoot but I think it's heaver than a 1911 gun. I'd have to wear suspenders to carry it on my belt.
Old October 4, 2012, 08:33 PM   #27
Captain H

The all stainless Sig weighs the same as an all steel 1911. People carry and have carried all steel pistols and revolvers for decades with no problem. It would not phase me one bit, but thats just me.

The aluminum framed Sig 226 passed the super demanding military trials in the early eighties as did the Beretta 92FS (the most demanding test in pistol history). According to the results with the longgevity of the frames, the regular alloy frame Sig will out last you unless you are a heavy competition shooter with a deep ammo wallet. And then it will still last years & years. I have a Beretta 92fs made in 1992 that will probably outlast me. If you keep the recoil spring changed every two or three thousand rounds, it will last a lifetime.

These pistols were designed from the start with the aluminum alloy in mind and thus the engineers knew the strengths of the materials. They are beefed up in the areas that they need to be. Most issues with aluminum are with steel framed guns that are made into lightweight models such as the 1911s. They still have the thinner slide to frame rails and metal thickness' like as if they were made of steel. That is where going alloy causes dissappointment. Next time you look at a Sig, look at the size/thickness of the rails and thickness of the dustcover and compare that to an all steel 1911 or CZ. It is much beefier and desined to last just as long.

Now with all of this said, the all stainless Sig will outlast them all because it is waay over engineered for being made out of steel since it is an aluminum frame design.
Old June 3, 2016, 12:07 AM   #28
TheSigDude

;-}
Old June 3, 2016, 04:33 PM   #29
Rinspeed

Plain and simple fact is you're going to run out of money long before you're going to wear out an aluminum framed Sig . Anyone who thinks different, in my honest opinion, is a fool. The vast majority of people who question wearing out any modern quality pistol don't shoot enough to even wear out a pot metal pistol.
Old June 3, 2016, 04:46 PM   #30
Jim Watson

Here is a thread on lubricating Sig Sauers by a then employee at Grayguns.

Lots of grease on the rails.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...35/m/908103701
Old June 3, 2016, 05:47 PM   #31
Rinspeed

I've been using Slide Glide grease on my Sigs for close to 10 years. I'm sure most any grease will work just as well but Slide Glide is pretty cheap for how long a small tub will last. I've seen the thread Jim posted and it seems like he has enough grease on that pistol to lube four of them.