The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2011, 08:51 AM   #1
PigFarmer

Primer's for .40 S&W

So I'm fixing to make up my first batch of reloads and has on the Hodgdon site researching powders and loads and I don't see where they mention primers used. Am I missing it? Or is it just and understood that I'm to new to know?

As always you guys are the first I ask, and yes I have a reloading manual but they do not list the powder I want to use. Planning on using Universal or the Winchester WST but have not fully decided.
Old October 12, 2011, 09:01 AM   #2
BDS-THR

If you hit the "Print" button, it will show more details, including primers used. BTW, Winchester SP primers were used for 40S&W.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LD.jpg (74.1 KB, 157 views)
Old October 12, 2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Jim243

Winchest SP or CCI SP (500) will work fine without problems.

Jim
Old October 12, 2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Adamantium

I do things the way a lot of people do in that I stock one small and large pistol primer and use it in place of all recommended primers except for loads specifically calling for a magnum primer. This is a part of the reason working up from a reduced load is important as there will always be variables.

When you are looking for loads with a specific powder it is good to check the powder makers website. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp They have 40 S&W load data for both powders. Thats also why you will see Hodgon list just one load per weight for a jacketed bullet. It isn't because they recommend only shooting a Hornady XTP for 180 grain jacketed loads, but because an safe reloader understands that while a Winchester JHP might produce slightly different velocity and pressure if anything unsafe is happening it will be identified while working up for a reduced load and corrected quickly.