The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 20, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1
ADB

Boar hunting in western New York?

Does anyone here have any information about hunting wild boars in New York State? Where they like to congregate, what the license requirements are, etcetera. I just found out from the environmental conservation guys that we've got them around here, and Google wasn't any help.
Old August 20, 2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Pigs are considered feral/invasive animals in NY state. There are no restrictions whatsoever beyond a valid hunting license.

Hogdogs may be along shortly to tell you more about their habits....

Generally, they prefer areas with water for wallows and soft ground to rut around in.... I think.
Old August 20, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yep... peetza is correct...
the wild hog will be found where there is water for drinking, wallowing and food as well as defensive position.
They are wise to put themself where any possible predator will work hard to get to them. So swamps with lots of thicket type cover is a good start. They are voracious feeders. They love the "lush" vegetation growth like lilly and tubor plants as well as grubs, worms and such. The growth along the edges in the water often get rooted even though the hog has it's head under water to do it. If these factors are present near food crops, they will gravitate towards there.

Hunting them with a gun from a "position" like deer is really tuff going and usually requires bait or shear luck.
Spot and stalk is, IMHO, the only option to increase the odds. Finding wallows, rooting and beds will greatly help but it takes multiple trips to determine the use of these areas as they migrate around a bunch. Ask more direct questions and I will try to help...
Our member bswiv shoots quite a few with his wife and will have good info for gun hunting them. I am too lazy to do the gun thing. I just turn loose dogs and run thru the woods all night to grab them and tie them up for live catch... Plus I don't like mixing guns and alcohol but dogs and booze mix fine...
Brent
Old August 20, 2009, 01:22 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here is some more info...
If the distance 'tween good spots is large they will stay longer each time. Thing to do once you determine the tracks are hog, is to make up some sour corn and use it to determine a pattern. BTW, easiest way I describe a hog track is it will look like deer but the front "points" are duller and the individual "toes" are not as curved as a deer. In softer or sandier soil the dew claws almost always print for 4 marks per leg.
Look for mud to be rubbed on the trunks of trees from ground level up to as high as 4 feet for a sho nuff monster.

From...
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ce/feral_hogs/
Tons of good biology info.
Brent