The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2004, 08:49 PM   #1
one eye

Lite Loads

Does anyone here shoot lite target loads and use a filler material (ie grits etc) to finish filling the case?

Lets say I use 31.5 gr of varget. I know the case will hold 41 gr. So I use say 8 gr of filler to top off the round and get rid of the extra airspace.

Am I working the twilight zone here? Has this been done?
Old September 29, 2004, 08:46 AM   #2
MADISON

Have 2 lite Rifle Loads

I have 2 "Squib" loads, one for .22 Hornet and another for .223
.22 Hornet [45 or 55 grain bullet--4.1 grains of UNIQUE
.223 55 grain bullet 5.6 grains of UNIQUE
Both loads are estimated to be around 1850 feet per second.
You might get the Lee computer program. It has reduced loading in it.
Old September 30, 2004, 04:41 PM   #3
cukrus

One reason to use fillers is to improve consistency of ignition by holding the powder closer to the primer, maintaining powder position similar to raising the muzzle before each shot. Your example indicates about 77% load density and may not demonstrate much effect with filler.
I'll use 1/2 gr fluff filler to protect a gas check seated below the case neck.
I'd consider any filler as an increase in projectile weight. Fillers are reported to increase pressure - in my experience velocities are increased more by crimping.
In straight walled cases fillers have a reported association with chamber ringing.
There may be other risks. But there are also reports of barrel lead removal using grits but more fear of grits forming a plug and increasing preasure way more than adding crimp.
So if you are in the twilight zone the question becomes impending dawn or dusk? Cautious experimentation with careful monitoring will let you know if you're headed towards enlightment or gloom before doom.
Come to think of it, I should stay in bed. There is so much risk and so little certainty. If I practice smiling it might be easier for the undertaker.
Old October 1, 2004, 05:02 PM   #4
Paul B.

Well, it would help to know what case you're loading, but based on your general info, I'd say in in that case, probably not. As far as grits or any other cereal filler, I'd run, not walk, away from that idea as fast as I could.
This is from my own personal experience, so you can take it for what you feel it is worth. I had been loading some 45-70 ammo with a 330 gr. hollow point bullet and SR-4759. The charge didn't even come up half wy to the neck so I used Cream of Wheat for a filler. I made a dipper that would put enough filler to come within 1/8" of the top of the case, then I'd seat the bullet compressing the powder and filler. There has to be sufficient compression to keep the powder from migrating into the filler due to vibration, being jostled in the pocket of the box of ammo bouncing around in the glove box of the truck. Due to a feed malfunction, I had to break down one of those rounds to salvage what I could. Tha Cream of Wheat was as hard as a rock and it took some vigorous digging with a screwderiver to get it all out. Now, these load shot well on my two 45-70 rifles. very accurate, good velocity, a really good load. As you probably know, the 45-70 is a straight walled case. What if I had loaded up ammo using a bottle necked case like a 30-06 or even the mild 30-30? If that cereal filler was that hard in one of those, the pressures could rise astronomically and ruin a nice rifle.
Dacron works well in most cases, although some say it should not be used un straight walled cases as it could ring the chamber. I haven't figured that one out yet, so I'll take their word for it, for now.
Kapok is supposed to be good as a filler, and years ago was quite available. Today, it's hard to find. I'd suggest a furniture restoation place. They might have some laying around when they replaced it with dacron.
With either dacron or Kapok, a .5 to 1.0 gr. tuft is usually sufficient.
But any cereal filler? I'd aviod them like AIDS.
Paul B.