The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 27, 2015, 12:45 PM   #1
WVsig

D.C. Grants First Concealed Carry Permits, Ending Decades-Long Prohibition

http://wamu.org/news/15/01/27/dc_gra...its_in_decades

The Metropolitan Police Department has granted its first concealed carry permits, effectively ending the longstanding ban on carrying handguns in public that was deemed unconstitutional by a federal judge last year.

According to an MPD official, eight concealed carry permits have been granted and 11 denied since the department started accepting permit applications in late October. Since then, 69 people applied for the permits, though three were cancelled at the request of the applicant. Of the 66 completed applications, 34 were filed by D.C. residents and 32 by non-residents...

It is "may issue" but better than no issue....
Old January 27, 2015, 12:51 PM   #2
BobCat45

Edge of the wedge

It is a start. Going from zero to 0.01 is sometimes harder than going from 0.01 to 1, or to 100.

Anyway, never thought I'd see it (read it). Certainly the fight will continue uphill, but savoring small victories is not out of line.
Old January 27, 2015, 01:41 PM   #3
2ndsojourn

"...eight concealed carry permits have been granted and 11 denied since the department started accepting permit applications in late October."

Only 19 permits have been processed in approx 3 months? What the heck are they doing? That's only about 6 per month - a days work at best. The remaining 49 will take over 8 months at that rate, and that doesn't even take into account any more applicants. Talk about job security for someone and wasting taxpayer money. *sigh*
Old January 27, 2015, 03:01 PM   #4
dakota.potts

It truly is an awesome day for a natural born right when 11 of 19 people who try to exercise it are arbitrarily denied
Old January 27, 2015, 03:36 PM   #5
wogpotter

in 3.

in 2.

in 1.

"OH MY GOD, THERE WILL BE BLOOD IN THE STREETS"!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 27, 2015, 03:44 PM   #6
BobCat45

and when there isn't blood in the streets, that's a data point in our favor.
Old January 27, 2015, 03:51 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts
It truly is an awesome day for a natural born right when 11 of 19 people who try to exercise it are arbitrarily denied
It wasn't totally arbitrary... per the article... (emphasis mine)
Quote:
Under the restrictive "may-issue" permitting scheme, applicants for concealed carry permits have to meet one of three conditions: Prove that they face a personal threat, work in an industry that requires them to handle large amounts of cash or other valuables, or show that they would need a handgun to help defend an incapacitated relative...

...one official with knowledge of the permitting process said that some of the applicants who were rejected simply cited the Second Amendment as a reason for requesting a concealed carry permit.
I'm guessing that "Because FREEDOM!!" wouldn't fly as a reason either.
Old January 27, 2015, 04:30 PM   #8
2ndsojourn

From the linked article:
"Individuals carrying handguns also have to remain 1,000 feet away from U.S. or foreign dignitaries."

That could be a real problem to defend against. There's dignitaries everywhere in that town. Bars, restaraunts, stores. You better be concealed well.
Old January 27, 2015, 04:39 PM   #9
wogpotter

Quote:
and when there isn't blood in the streets, that's a data point in our favor.
While agreeing with you in principal, its never worked out that way before, what's different this time round?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 27, 2015, 05:01 PM   #10
JN01

I wonder if the police will have the permit holders under a microscope, waiting for them to slip up and violate one of the numerous draconian restrictions, and then make an example of them.
Old January 28, 2015, 01:12 AM   #11
johnwilliamson062

I was crunching numbers to illustrate how ridiculous the 1000 yard rule is in DC. It is absurd. If the 8 applicants aren't in each others radius they cover 1.5% of DC. With 100 License holders...

Holder III?
Old January 28, 2015, 02:29 AM   #12
ballardw

Quote:
Under the restrictive "may-issue" permitting scheme, applicants for concealed carry permits have to meet one of three conditions: Prove that they face a personal threat, work in an industry that requires them to handle large amounts of cash or other valuables,
Do illegal drugs qualify as "other valuables"?
Old January 28, 2015, 08:54 AM   #13
mman

People who were denied permits can now sue and challenge the denial and push the line further forward.
Old January 28, 2015, 11:52 AM   #14
scpapa

More ammo (pun intended) for Gura!!

Rick
Member IALEFI, SCLEOA
Old January 28, 2015, 02:47 PM   #15
Nickel Plated

I'd be curious to know who those 8 approved applicants are and who they know. So far it's looking like D.C. is going with a NYC-style permit system.
Sure you can apply and if you show a valid reason, you'll get a permit.
Unfortunately, as far as the licensing division is concerned, the only valid reason is "I'm friends with the mayor"

I know we should be glad for every victory, but this kind of system is worse than no-issue at all.
You can atleast challenge no-issue in court as an outright violation of the 2A and win.
But the NYC system is just "constitutional" enough to survive a court challenge, but restrictive enough that realistically, no average shmuck is gonna ever get a carry permit.
Unless the courts start applying a higher level of scrutiny to the 2A.
Old February 9, 2015, 07:07 PM   #16
TDL

Quote:
Only 19 permits have been processed in approx 3 months? What the heck are they doing?
They stalled on certifying the trainers. I have a pal who was denied just last week but who had applied early. they stalled on the civilian training regime approval.

The initial group getting it have law enforcement training and are mostly retired LEO or those working as private security details

I am looking over the application packet and the laws. Interesting one can only have 10 rounds total on their person. A firearm with a seven round mag means no extra mag or having three in the extra mag.

Does anyone in a state with a general mag cap limit on ownership, also have a limit of ten on their person for purpose of CCW?
Old March 1, 2015, 03:43 PM   #17
Dwagshooter

What D.C. calls people with dignity in this law, really don't have any.

Should not be a problem.
Old March 2, 2015, 10:37 AM   #18
steve4102

Emily Miller has been approved for a DC Carry permit.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2819264...ermit-approved

This is from the OP's linked article.

The city's rules also restrict where a gun-owner can carry their gun. Public transportation, schools, government buildings, bars, stadiums, and hospitals are off limits, as are protests and an area around the White House. Individuals carrying handguns also have to remain 1,000 feet away from U.S. or foreign dignitaries.

I have a feeling she my be getting set-up here. I would think it almost impossible to remain 1000 feet from a dignitary in DC, especially in her line of work.

IMO, she will have to, not carry while in DC or face arrest. They will be watching her like a hawk.
Old March 2, 2015, 11:07 AM   #19
kilimanjaro

So what's the legal definition of a 'dignitary'?
Old March 2, 2015, 11:25 AM   #20
Armed_Chicagoan

I don't see how that 1000' rule can possibly be constitutional, it's simply not possible to know where these "foreign dignitaries" are at any time. Of course I don't see how the rest of their law is constitutional either, but that is some low-hanging fruit.
Old March 2, 2015, 01:40 PM   #21
rickyrick

Dignitaries are the ones surrounded by those bodyguards that have somehow earned and had their rights bestowed upon them by some other dignitary... Shouldn't be hard to spot... Lol

It is a step
Old March 2, 2015, 09:23 PM   #22
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimangaro
So what's the legal definition of a 'dignitary'?
There is no legal definition other than whoever they say, as long as the person is under police protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Chicagoan
I don't see how that 1000' rule can possibly be constitutional, it's simply not possible to know where these "foreign dignitaries" are at any time.
Here is the official explanation from D.C. Act 20-621 (February 6, 2015):

Quote:
(13)(A) When a dignitary or high-ranking official of the United States or a state, local, or foreign government is moving under the protection of the MPD, the U. S. Secret Service, the U.S. Capitol Police, or other law enforcement agency assisting or working in concert with MPD, within an area designated by the Chief, the Chief of the U.S. Secret Service, or the Chief of the U.S. Capitol Police, or a designee of any of the foregoing, that does not include any point at a distance greater than 1,000 feet from the moving dignitary or high-ranking official; provided, that no licensee shall be criminally prosecuted unless:
(i) The law enforcement agency provides notice of the designated area by the presence of signs, law enforcement vehicles or officers acting as a perimeter, or other means to make the designated area of protection obvious;
(ii) The District or federal government has provided notice prohibiting the carrying of pistols along a designated route or in a designated area in advance of the event, if possible, and by posted signage along a route or in a designated area; or
(iii) The licensee has been ordered by a law enforcement officer to leave the designated area and the licensee has not complied with the order.
Old March 4, 2015, 08:05 AM   #23
TimSr

Quote:
I wonder if the police will have the permit holders under a microscope, waiting for them to slip up and violate one of the numerous draconian restrictions, and then make an example of them.

I dubt it since those who actually got permits probably have "senator" or "congresman" in front of their name, and (D) after it.
Old March 4, 2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Colt46

Mr. Gura isn't done with this yet

It seems they have an arbitrary and capricious system as stands.
We will never have justice If those who conspire to violate the law in this manner aren't punished.
Old April 3, 2015, 12:52 PM   #25
alan

The French had a word for it,they had a word for several things. Here their "word" was Noblese Oblige, the English translation being Nobility Obliges. Do the "public servants" of Washington D.C. serve the public, or is it the other way round? Judge for yourselves.