The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 9, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1
espald01

Gun safe stuck

This is my first and only post here, please correct me if I do anything wrong

I have a sentry gun safe model no. R2210 serial no. 514728, it is a key safe with horizontal locking bolts. It has been a little hard to open the past year or two, but as long as I could get it open with a little weight applied to the door I was ok with it. But a few days ago when trying to open it, the handle only turned so far. The key is now stuck in it and the safe wont open. I have noticed the bolts sagged a little bit off center of the holes before. Now I can feel them attempting to unlock, but the top bolt seems to be snagging. I have thought about flipping it upside down so gravity would release the snag, but I don't want to damage the guns.

I have emailed the customer service at sentry, but they are no help. I need some advice from someone who cares a little more. Please help me as much as u can, as I need it open before turkey season this weekend. Thanks

Last edited by espald01; April 9, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old April 9, 2013, 04:15 PM   #2
BarryLee

You might consider calling a lock smith to open the safe. If you let us know where you are located maybe someone can offer a specific recommendation.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 10, 2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Bigger hammer on the handle?
That is not a good condition.
Does not speak well for Sentry.
Locksmith is all I can think of. If you are still in warranty send the bill to Sentry.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:26 AM   #4
HJ857

Interestingly I had a similar problem last week. In my case I think a rifle sling was blocking the movement of the locking bars. I ended up ramming the door with my shoulder while turning the key. It took a number of hits but it did work. Good luck with it.
Old April 10, 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've heard of similar issues where something gets stuck in the door and puts enough pressure on the system that it simply won't open.

You might try a long woodworker's bar clamp to put pressure on the door.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 10, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6
espald01

I have taken a 2x4 block and applied pressure to it with a ratchet strap on the door of the safe. No result. If it helps, the handle won't completely turn shut either.
Old April 10, 2013, 11:50 AM   #7
stumper1300

Is the door sagging and causing the binding? Would prying up on the bottom of the door help?
Old April 10, 2013, 01:24 PM   #8
a1abdj

Quote:
I have taken a 2x4 block and applied pressure to it with a ratchet strap on the door of the safe. No result. If it helps, the handle won't completely turn shut either.
If the handle is wedged between the open and closed position, there is likely something broken within the boltwork of the safe itself.

If it's under warranty, the manufacturer may replace the safe, or send replacement parts. If it out of warranty, don't hold your breath. They design these safes to be disposable. You use it until it breaks, throw it away, and go buy another.
Old April 10, 2013, 02:36 PM   #9
rebs

I have no idea on how to open your safe, but I will say that after your call or calls to Sentry, no help from them doesn't say much about their customer service. If I was you I definitely would not buy another Sentry safe. Their customer service should have at least tried to help you with this problem, offered some suggestions or options.
Old April 10, 2013, 03:54 PM   #10
espald01

The warranty is out, and I think we will sell it and buy a new (not sentry) safe. Or just buy new parts if they are available. But how do we get into it to change these parts?
Old April 10, 2013, 04:26 PM   #11
southjk

Quote:
But how do we get into it to change these parts?
A. Locksmith
B. Crobar and sledge hammer
C. Sawzall
Old April 10, 2013, 05:26 PM   #12
a1abdj

^^^ I'm a professional, and I vote for prybar.

Once you pry it open yourself, and you realize how easy it is, it may impact your future purchase. Great educational opportunity.
Old April 10, 2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

no safe will hold up long to a circular saw and a stack of carbide cut off blades.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 10, 2013, 06:01 PM   #14
southjk

Gun safe stuck

C. Meant to say angle grinder. Course a sawzall may get you in too.
Old April 10, 2013, 06:23 PM   #15
HJ857

Have you tried just spraying the inside of the lock with oil?
Old April 10, 2013, 08:00 PM   #16
gundog5

I would start with a 3ft pipe and have a friend bang on the door hard as you use the pipe for extra force. take a few photos or video of your attempts then just get out your 4" angle grinder and cut that sucker open and go hunting. Next attach your video and photos to an e-mail to sentry and let them know that if they do not make you whole regarding this issue it is going on the world wide web. Good luck and good hunting.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:15 PM   #17
espald01

ok, thanks guys. Looks like I'm breaking into a safe! Should be fun
Old April 11, 2013, 07:25 AM   #18
FAS1

Please post some pics of the result. I think it will open easily with just a prybar.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:59 AM   #19
Doyle

Before you break into it, try a free experiment. Take a flat pry bar or similar implement of destruction and lift one front corner just a hair. With it lifted try to open the handle. If that doesn't work, try the other front corner.

What I'm after here is to remove the effect of one side being slightly lower than the other and binding up the mechanism.