The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 25, 2012, 03:54 PM   #26
dahermit

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit
the end of recoil spring tube tendency to break and release the spring,
Quote:
I've seen a lot of things, but I've never seen nothing like that.
It was posted by a gunsmith who found that a fairly common occurrence.
Aside from that, there are two popular gun forums dedicated to the 1911. Those issues (and others),I have mentioned are just some of the more frequent maladies inherent to the 1911 that they talk about in their respective gun-smithing areas. If you have not heard of those problems, you likely are not lurking in the right forums.

Keep in mind that I like the 1911's, the Combat Commanders specifically.
Old December 25, 2012, 05:09 PM   #27
richardcorey

IMHO the 1911 is the personification of that dumb bunny-batteries commercial and their slogan that says "Keeps going, and going..." or the (really) old Timex about "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking."
And the 1911 predates even the TV that shows those commercial. The Model-A Ford, gone... Edsels, gone... The 1911 ??? FOREVER!!!
LISTEN!!!
Old December 25, 2012, 05:20 PM   #28
TheGoldenState

Quote:
I know its my favorite.
You're like the kid who all the other neighborhood kids hate because they know his new toy will undoubtedly beat theirs, when everyones out playing around noon X-mas morning.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:10 PM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Aside from that, there are two popular gun forums dedicated to the 1911. Those issues (and others),I have mentioned are just some of the more frequent maladies inherent to the 1911 that they talk about in their respective gun-smithing areas. If you have not heard of those problems, you likely are not lurking in the right forums.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the alleged problem of the tab breaking off the recoil spring plug on the Colt Officers ACP? If that happens it WILL launch the spring and plug downrange, but I'm a member on both of the major 1911 forums (M1911.org and 1911forum.com) and I can't recall anyone ever posting that the end of the plug breaks off and things go flying with a full-size Government model.

As to the tab shearing off on the Officers ACP, I think we've pretty much concluded (at least I have) that it most likely happens if a replacement recoil spring is too long and "stacks" before the slide can fully retract.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:19 PM   #30
KyJim

As others have pointed out (especially Sevens):

1. Ergonomic grip angle and size -- can be customized by grip thickness, changing trigger length, etc. With a beavertail grip safety and a high hold, the pistol is very controllable under recoil.

2. A trigger that can be made absolutely great.

3. When made right, a very accurate pistol.

4. Very customizable.

5. A bit of mystique.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:03 PM   #31
PawPaw

Quote:
If you have not heard of those problems, you likely are not lurking in the right forums.
There's the problem! i haven't been lurking in the right forums! I've simply been shooting them since the mid '70s. The first one I was issued was made my Ithaca, then in another unit I got a Remington-Rand. Nowadays I shoot a Kimber that I picked up for a song. And I've never seen a spring tube break. If it's a common occurrence, I've been unbelievably lucky. Springs are pretty common, but if you run any pistol long enough you'll need to replace springs. Wolff has made a good business supplying springs for Colt, Ruger, and SW revolvers. They all need new springs occasionally.

In all those years I've only see two plunger tubes jump their crimp, but I understand that most good 1911 mechanics keep a staking tool.

I'm not doubting what you're telling me, simply saying that I've been shooting them for a long time, and I've never seen that particular problem.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 25, 2012, 10:36 PM   #32
polyphemus

Quote:"Maybe this is stupid question,"
Ayup
Old December 25, 2012, 11:01 PM   #33
dahermit

Quote:
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the alleged problem of the tab breaking off the recoil spring plug on the Colt Officers ACP? If that happens it WILL launch the spring and plug downrange, but I'm a member on both of the major 1911 forums (M1911.org and 1911forum.com) and I can't recall anyone ever posting that the end of the plug breaks off and things go flying with a full-size Government model.

As to the tab shearing off on the Officers ACP, I think we've pretty much concluded (at least I have) that it most likely happens if a replacement recoil spring is too long and "stacks" before the slide can fully retract.
No, it was the standard, full length 1911 in which he reported that he had several that brought to his shop for that reason. As for the Officer's model, I had one of those and after hearing that the tab could break-off, I was concerned with how little metal was actually holding the recoil spring plug and how it had a 90 degree angle that would likely give a crack a place to start, I swapped it out with one of the upgrades from Brownell's that offered more support and it never developed any problems.
Nevertheless, I am sure that you are aware that a single person's experience with the 1911 is too small of a sample to be statistically significant.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:10 PM   #34
4thHorseman

I could give you the same good reasons other posters have, but I would add, they are just so darn fun to shoot. They just "dance in your hand".
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old December 25, 2012, 11:35 PM   #35
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Nevertheless, I am sure that you are aware that a single person's experience with the 1911 is too small of a sample to be statistically significant.
Most assuredly.

Which is why I dismiss your alleged defect as both hearsay (in other words, you have never experienced it or seen it or know anyone who has experienced it) and Internet myth (the infamous "some guy" said it, so it must be true).
Old December 26, 2012, 12:05 AM   #36
JWT

They look good, they feel good, they shoot good!
Old December 26, 2012, 12:35 AM   #37
BUFF

All BS aside...wrap your hands around one and you will know the truth.

If you don't like it...it's because you've been carrying a purse in that hand for too long... and the vanilla bean lotion....and Crocs...capri pants....FDS...lip balm...skinny jeans...
Old December 26, 2012, 12:45 AM   #38
golfnutrlv

A picture is worth a thousand words...

America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 26, 2012, 07:54 AM   #39
NJgunowner

I like my p226, but I love my 1911. The p226 is easier to clean, fires every freakin time, but if I had to sell the 1911 or p226, I'd be the p226 that went away. My 1911 fires every time as well, just hate cleaning it

Nothing seems to fit my hand as well as a 1911 does.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:04 AM   #40
nate45

I don't love inanimate objects, but now that I think about, I'm more fond of the 1911 than some people I know.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:00 AM   #41
Tactical Jackalope

That picture posted by golfnutrlv is simply beautiful and I want it framed.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:17 AM   #42
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
That picture posted by golfnutrlv is simply beautiful and I want it framed.
That is lovely, isn't it? I was happy to see that photo mainly because I have one of those on layaway at a local shop. I noticed this odd-looking 1911 in the rack and asked to see it, and after a little research found that it's a 1915 production Colt, marked US Property. Probably a surplus sold after WWII when they were dirt cheap. My example was re-finished in hard chrome, but it's not a bad job at all because you can still read all the roll marks.

When I get it home, I'll take off the rubber Pachmayrs it currently wears and put some nice double-diamond grips on it. It will become my barbeque gun, for flashy formal occasions. A nice, tooled pancake holster should highlight it beautifully.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 26, 2012, 09:43 AM   #43
nate45

You should by the gun instead Constantine. Thats a Colt WW1 Reproduction in the pic. They are super nice.

Of course I'd trade mine for an original military 1911, for the monetary gain, but I wouldn't gain actual quality, accuracy or functionality. I had a US stamped 1911 that was made in 1917, but it was a parkerized and reworked by Augusta Arsenal for WW2. I gave it to a good friend on his Birthday, his Grandpa was in the 90th Infantry during WWII and he did not have any WW2 weapons. That functioned great, but it was a wore out old war horse compared to my WW1 Repo.

My Kahr/Auto-Ordnance 1911a1 also pictured has been great and well worth its modest price, for any of those interested in a budget 1911. It is not as exacting a in original details as the Colt is, but its well worth the money.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:57 AM   #44
GRT

You can get a lighter or a Zippo.

You can drive a motorcycle or a Harley.

You can have a pistol or a 1911.

Other pistols can be better, but never be a myth like 1911.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:21 AM   #45
dahermit

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Most assuredly.

Which is why I dismiss your alleged defect as both hearsay (in other words, you have never experienced it or seen it or know anyone who has experienced it) and Internet myth (the infamous "some guy" said it, so it must be true).
Assuredly hearsay. Nevertheless, plunger tubes that come loose, extractors that loose their tension, ejectors that come loose, have shown to be a flaw that is inherent in 1911's. That is evidence enough to question the reliability of design of 1911, even if that particular poster was in error, just plain lying. The point is, the 1911 has parts that fail with notable frequency, despite the fact a particular owner of a 1911 may never experience it. One of the reasons I am sure that Ruger's rendition of a 1911 has a plunger tube that integral to the frame...cannot become loose.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:25 AM   #46
dahermit

Quote:
You can get a lighter or a Zippo.
You can drive a motorcycle or a Harley.
You can have a pistol or a 1911.
Other pistols can be better, but never be a myth like 1911.
I do not think they are a myth. Unless I am hallucinating, I have a couple of them.
There are several words you can substitute (for the incorrect, "myth"): Icon, archetype, legend.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:37 PM   #47
GRT

OK. I´m sorry. I´m not good in English.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:05 PM   #48
BigJimP

Others have already told you ...but its the trigger....

Any handgun - that has a hinged trigger - where the trigger rides on a pin, and travels thru an arc ....is way different than a 1911 trigger. No matter how well made this hinged trigger is ...there is inevitably some wobble and a lot of travel ...

The 1911 triggers floats in the frame ...and moves straight back and forth to fire and reset.../ there is no comparison between the 2 systems...and the 1911 stands out to many of us, if its well made and well tuned, as a far superior system.

Expense is certainly a factor ...and poorly made or really inexpensive 1911's can be a pain in the butt in my view...but the 1911 is a piece of craftmanship when its done right ...with a trigger that breaks like glass with no creep and no slack ...and resets equally as smoothly.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:57 PM   #49
edfrompa

What's not to love?? 1911s are the best!!!!!!!!!
Old December 26, 2012, 07:18 PM   #50
Hawg

Quote:
I've been shooting 1911's since the late 60's and I never heard of a single case of that happening. I also belong to two popular forums dedicated to the 1911 and cant remember anything like that. Care to post links?