The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Sector001

Question about Unique

Greetings all, new to the forum here.

I read an interesting post in the 8lb Unique recall thread from above stating that if Unique gets shaken a lot, (like in a glove box or the like), it turns into a fine powder similar to talcum powder. I've worked up some great self defense loads in my 4" XD 45 with Unique and am concerned that my efforts might have been in vain. Anyone know if it was an isolated incident, or if this happens frequently?

I also wanted to say that I've learned all kinds of great stuff in the past few days I've been a member. I'm glad I found this site!
Old May 23, 2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Trapper L

I highly doubt the posters comments about the Unique. This has been beaten to death about powder breaking down while traveling. Can you imagine just how much shaking military ammo takes before it ever gets used? How about hot/cold cycles, humidity cycles, miles in the back of a 6 x6, on forklifts, in the cargo holes of ships, in the belly of a plane, air pressure changes, and still no issues. I have loads that have been in my truck for years and some of it has over 100,000 miles on it and no issues. Unique is not going to be any different than any other powder in regards to shaking it. While I don't doubt the poster had an issue, I doubt that the shaking was the issue.
Old May 23, 2007, 09:43 PM   #3
benedict1

Forget it--just load and shoot.
Old June 6, 2007, 06:06 PM   #4
crowbeaner

The only problem I ever had with Unique were with some .357 cast loads lubed with 50/50 alox/beeswax that got left in the car for who knows how long where the lube melted and got into the powder. Every last one went bang but there was some variation in the bang. BUNK.
Old June 6, 2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Slamfire

I just looked at my copy of Mil-P-3984 Propellants for Small arms Ammunition. This specification has the high, low, climatic stuff, but there is no dynamic test for vibration. The military was not concerned about powder breakdown due to vibration.

Since the military uses its ammo in high vibration environments such as tanks, helicopters, C130 aircraft, HMMWV’s, you would think that if vibration was an issue, they would have a test for it.

I must therefore assume that what ever you read was a reasoned, logical, well explained theory that is 100% total bunk. Let those who advocate such things go out and test their theories, publish the data, and then we have a scientific means of determining the reasonableness of their wisdom.

Go carry your ammo and do not doubt that it will go bang if you reloaded it properly.