The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 30, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Glockfan36

Howa .308 with scope

My LGS has one of these on sale, the owner priced it to me at $500.00 over the phone! What's your guys' opinion? Should I just go ahead and buy it? I'd sort of like to try hunting whitetail deer and wild hogs here Kentucky. First off, I want something that will be a quick and clean kill- I'm not into making animals suffer. Should I go for it? Funny thing is I had called looking for a Sig P250 9mm Subcompact. Was gonna sell my Glock 26 in exchange. He didn't have any Sigs in stock, but he got me reall interested in a rifle.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:35 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

HOWA

Fan,
Does it come with a hoge stock? is it a heavy barrel? I have a couple of'em and they are quality rifles. The actions are smooth much better than the Weatherby Vanguard, the howa trigger is also better than the weatherby, overall you'll be pleased does that rifle come with a scope for that price it should likewise you not get the top of the line but most combos in that price range come with scope.
Old August 30, 2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Glockfan36

NESHOOTER, I don't really know, as I haven't gone an looked at it yet. I was just trying to gather opoinions on the .308 cartridge overall. As I said in my post, I just want something that will take the animal down as quick and painless as possible. I should probably add that the animals I bring home will be processed for their meat- no trophy hunts!
Old August 30, 2011, 11:00 PM   #4
ndking1126

.308 is a great hunting cartridge, no doubt about it. Get a good hunting bullet, not a fmj type round and you will be in business. Nosler Ballistic tips, Remington Core-Lokt, or Federal Fusion rounds will all serve you well hunting deer and hogs.

Howa makes a great rifle for the price point. One of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot was a stock Howa 1500 Varminter Supreme in .223.
Old August 31, 2011, 05:40 AM   #5
Qtiphky

Great Cartridge/Gun

The 308 Winchester is a fantastic round for what you are asking it to do. You can load it up or down for whatever you need it to do. I have taken many whitetail deer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with that cartridge as well as have many others. While I have never hunted hogs, I have read that many people use smaller rounds and have great success, so I don't see why a 308 wouldn't work equally as well. The 308 round was the choice of the sniper before the big magnums showed up and they are now taking such longer shots, but out to 1000 yards, the 308 is fantastic, IMO.

I have a Howa M1500 in 22/250 that I really like shooting. With factory loads it is MOA all day and with my handloads it is sub MOA all day. Mine has the Hogue rubber stock and the Nikko Stirling scope that came with it. I am going to try a different scope next weekend because the cross hairs on the Nikko are too big for what I like, but the scope seems to do very well.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:10 PM   #6
kokopelli

go for it- got a Howa M1500 in .308, it's the 'compact ranchland' model with the tan hogue stock. L-O-V-E it! Follow the barrel break in routine if it's new...
I put a Centerline scope on it (wally world special) and it is more accurate than me.
BTW, a lot of guys on the Sniper forums buy them just for the actions to build mucho dinero long range rifles and rate them higher than the Remington 700.
Beretta also uses their actions to build their 1500 line of bolt action rifles.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:50 PM   #7
tobnpr

Quote:
The actions are smooth much better than the Weatherby Vanguard
I thought the Weatherby used the Howa 1500 action.
Old September 7, 2011, 06:26 PM   #8
NESHOOTER

Quote:
Quote:
The actions are smooth much better than the Weatherby Vanguard

I thought the Weatherby used the Howa 1500 action.
Yup they do both and I think even the mossberg in 1 model....
Old September 7, 2011, 06:31 PM   #9
GONIF

The Howa 1500 Lighting in any caliber is a great rifle . You will get your best price on them at CDNN right now $349.99 to $ 349.99 . most all package deals come with cheap junk scopes .Buy the Howa and get a Nikon 3x9 Buckmaster for $180.00 or a Nikon Prostaff for even less .
check it out http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...oTmOEGJu4RnNOg

Last edited by GONIF; September 7, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old September 7, 2011, 06:35 PM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
Howa .308 with scope
What scope is it?