The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2002, 09:54 AM   #1
mcshot

J&L Rutten, Herstal, Belgium boners! eek!

Found one of these beautiful 12 O/Us in case. Took it home and wanted to polish up stock a bit. Being a rather impatient jobber I took it down to the knife room and fired up the buffer. Just a couple gentle runs and Holy Crap. It had a plastic like finish that melted. My forte is not stock refinishing but away I went and after a few screw ups - mixing finishes and restripping - I got where I wanted. Am now slowly treating with real tongue oil mixed with lemon oil. Looks nice and I changed the recoil pad and nearly botched that but the gun is a keeper. Has engraved sideplated and is beautifully made and fits like my arm. Wish I had known about those dyes to use to finish quitars with.
Old February 4, 2002, 10:05 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good job, do you have any pics?

Stock finishes vary greatly, the old oil finish takes a bit more work, but makes a beautiful surface.BYW,it's tung oil, tongue oil comes around 86 Proof and doesn't do a thing for stocks(G)...

I'm no woodsmith, the aniline dyes I first ran across on the Bowsite, where a guy that makes selfbows was talking about them. His work is top rate. Look for Dean Torges for info there.

Patience is a misunderstood and underestimated virtue. This applies to refinishers as well as instrument makers.
Old February 5, 2002, 09:26 AM   #3
mcshot

Good points Dave including my inability to spell I fiddle with the gun daily and it is looking good. Have to wait for daughter to post pics.
Now some 86 proof on my tongue may just help my neurological damaged brain and overall short time outlook.