The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
WiscBuckmaster

1,000 round review: Ruger SR9c

I just wanted to share my experiences with my SR9c after putting 1,000 rounds through it for anyone thinking about buying a SR9c.
The first time I shot it I did not clean it, I have heard alot of people having problems their first time out when they didn't clean their gun first, but I did not have any issues whatsoever.
After the first trip to the range and every trip after that I have cleaned my gun everytime after, just a basic field strip clean with Frog Lube. The only CLP I have used in my gun and I absolutely love it.

I have been to the range with it 6 times so far, shooting anywhere between 100-200 rounds each trip. The different ammo I've used is;
-Federal American Eagle 115grain FMJ
-Blazer Brass 115grain FMJ
-Blazer Aluminum 115grain FMJ
-Fiocchi 115grain FMJ

I have not had any hiccups whatsoever. No FTF's or FTE's.
To me the gun is well balanced, not the best out there, but for me personally it fits my hand well and is a natural pointer due to the correct grip size for my hand. I like the location and size of the mag release, and the slide stop.
I don't like the magazine disconnect safety in any gun but it is very easily removed. I have heard alot of gripes about the loaded chamber indicator, but I've noticed alot of those gripes are from people who have only held one or shot their friend's gun once. At the range I don't even notice it is their. I know some people don't like it because it may snag on a holster, but the sights are obviously taller than the LCI and there is no problem drawing, or holstering in my remora holster.
For me the gun is accurate, at 7 yards I tear ragged holes in the bullseye and at 12 yards the group is still very tight with a flyer here and there due to operator error. I personally disregard alot of claims of guns being accurate or not because it's a relative statement depending on who is shooting. Alot of people are lousy shots and blame the gun, I blame the shooter. It's not the arrow, it's the indian.
I have also seen alot of people that experienced peening. I have not had any.
Conclusion:
There are better guns out there, there are worse guns out there. For me, this gun felt the best in my hand and I heard alot of good things about reliability and decided to buy it. After putting 1,000 rounds through it I feel good knowing I made a good purchase. I use it as my EDC in a IWB Remora RFT holster, as well as my range gun. Alot of guns marketed for concealed carry are great to carry concealed, but are not designed to, or are not fun to shoot at a range alot. I have other Ruger firearms and they have always been top notch for me, at the range, and on succesful white-tail hunts, so that went into my decision in buying this Ruger and I havn't regretted it one bit. I hope this helps someone out there who is debating what to buy. I am in no way trying to sway anyone to buy a Ruger firearm, or a SR9c, I am only sharing my experience and hope everyone else has as good of an experience as I.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:42 PM   #2
gator1gear

Lots of GREAT reviews on the SR9c! I'm really beginning to want one.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:47 PM   #3
jimbob86

sR9c:

The Best sub$500 handgun out there, IMO..... better than many that cost twice that.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:30 PM   #4
tahunua001

my daily carry piece is an SR9C with the mag disconnect removed. I had issues with light strikes my first 25 rounds which prompted said removal and have never had an issue since.

I went a full 500 rounds before cleaning for the first time, man it was nasty with all the powder mixed with packing grease. I made sure to try several different types of ammo to make sure it feeds including:
147gr black talons(my carry ammo)
ball ammo ranging from 100-115gr
assorted 124-147gr hollow points.

there are much better out there but for striker fired handguns in it's pricerange the SR series is impossible to beat.
Old March 22, 2013, 02:25 AM   #5
915A

Just shy of 1000 on mine and same results, not a single issue. Love it, feels great to carry and shoot. I finally got the POA dialed for me and can pretty much hit where I want on target. Best of all I paid less than 4 for mine. I am after the SR40c now.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:27 AM   #6
breakingcontact

Re: 1,000 round review: Ruger SR9c

It's a good gun for sure. Glad you said it fits you well. That's such a big part of whether a gun is good for an individual. I wanted to love the SR9C back when I was a Ruger fanboy. It just didn't feel good at all in my hand. I am picky though. Definitely a good gun and reliable.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:34 AM   #7
TarDevil

MY SR9c goes everywhere with me... even on business trips. I don't think there is another gun as perfect for me.

The only issue I ever had was with two boxes of WWB ammo purchased at Walmart in Texas. These particular rounds had mil spec primers which are a bit too hard for my SR9c and I experienced at least one failure to fire per magazine. I have had absolutely no other issues through about 1500 rounds.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:37 AM   #8
TunnelRat

I actually like the M&P9c a bit better, but the SR9c seems like a decent gun. The one I owned had some issues but I've used others that were very nice. For the price it's hard to beat.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 22, 2013, 10:13 AM   #9
breakingcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarDevil View Post
The only issue I ever had was with two boxes of WWB ammo purchased at Walmart in Texas. These particular rounds had mil spec primers which are a bit too hard for my SR9c and I experienced at least one failure to fire per magazine. I have had absolutely no other issues through about 1500 rounds.
I had a similar primer issue with an LC9. Between that and the Mini-30 not reliably working with cheap ammo...I got turned off on Ruger. Still love the 10/22 though and like the SR1911!
Old March 22, 2013, 10:35 AM   #10
TarDevil

Quote:
Between that and the Mini-30 not reliably working with cheap ammo...I got turned off on Ruger.
It really isn't unusual for guns of any make to be ammo sensitive, so I didn't let it sour me. It shoots lots of cheap ammo, I just stay away from mil spec stuff.

I'm sure the gun could be modified to shoot harder primers, but it may also alter what I consider a delicious trigger.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:59 AM   #11
breakingcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarDevil View Post
It really isn't unusual for guns of any make to be ammo sensitive, so I didn't let it sour me. It shoots lots of cheap ammo, I just stay away from mil spec stuff.

I'm sure the gun could be modified to shoot harder primers, but it may also alter what I consider a delicious trigger.
True, some guns "prefer" certain ammo. The loaded chamber indicator is more of a slap in the face to those who consider themselves proficient and safe and not in need of such safety devices. Same with the mag disconnect. The loaded chamber indicator isn't a big issue to me, the mag disconnect is.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:14 AM   #12
alex0535

I want one after everything cools down and I won't have to pay like $650 for a $500 gun.

The loaded chamber indicator is sort of meh for me, if I buy one it is going to be a carry gun/home protection. For this job it is sort of redundant as I will always assume it has a loaded chamber because it is going to have a loaded chamber unless I empty it by shooting it or for cleaning it.

For those that really don't like it I have read you can modify it by filing down part of the indicator to make it stick up less. I may or may not do this when I get one, will see how much it bothers me.
Old March 22, 2013, 02:56 PM   #13
915A

To be honest I really dont even notice the LCI. I did at first, but after shooting it awhile it just isnt a noticeable factor.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:07 PM   #14
WiscBuckmaster

Alex0535- if you're interested in getting one just keep an eye on your local gander mtn sale flyer. I paid $460 out the door for mine at gander at the end of january.

Edit- i forgot to mention the trigger in the review.
I haven't shot alot of different handguns just an m&p9c, beretta px4 subcompact, sig p250, and my sr9c. I like the sr9c trigger the best by a longshot. The px4sc was the worst even in SA the trigger pull was so long, it was smooth, but extremely long pull.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:10 PM   #15
tahunua001

I got mine new years day 2012, paid $400 even.
Old March 23, 2013, 03:47 PM   #16
wbw

I think it's a great gun for the money. For me, it was just the right size and weight. No issues so far. This thread needs a picture:

Old March 23, 2013, 06:20 PM   #17
WiscBuckmaster

Tahunua- at that price i honestly would consider buying another. And not to re-sell for more.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:45 PM   #18
tahunua001

I'm not the kindof guy that likes to have more than one of the same model...
sadly right now I'm not the kind of guy that has enough money for that either.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:02 PM   #19
WiscBuckmaster

neither am I, it would be for my girlfriend. I gave her my mkII a while back and she likes it but she also likes to shoot my sr9c, I've been looking to buy her a 9mm for her birthday coming up but unfortunately I don't have the money to just go spend right now. I could buy her something cheaper but to me thats not an option. I won't buy her a cheap gun if its not something I would buy for myself.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:43 AM   #20
Ozzieman

I have heard great things about them and I like the fact that’s it’s a glock like gun with a manual safety.
I would like to shoot one next to my G26 and see how it compares since having handled one it’s a little more comfortable than my 26 in my hand.
Some things I noticed, I thought the magazine release was a much better design and easier on the thumb than the 26 but the slide release was a little small for fast work. The grip angle was better (lower angle for the barrel when held comfortably) and the checkering on the back strap and side panels are much better than the 26 (which has none to speak of on the side).
Again this is all bull since I haven’t fired one yet but retail 200 under the 26 will sell a lot of them. Not to mention it’s a Ruger.
The gun store is going to add one to their rental guns and when they do I will try a couple of boxes and if it’s as good as I am hearing here and other places it will become a family member.
Nice report WiscBuckmaster.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:52 PM   #21
cetanner

Use my SR9C for CC and have for some time now. Almost up to 2000 rounds through it. No FTF or FTE's. Great gun. Fits my hand perfectly and is comfortable to carry. I clean it after each time shooting. Doesn't need it but I always do.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:26 PM   #22
TarDevil

My son got a G26 and he came put to my range to shoot it the first time...he was all over the target. I handed him my SR9c and he shot a decent group, handing it back he said,."That sure does feel a lot better." He eventually sold the Glock, but replaced it with an XDc in .45 (he had previously owned one).

I like mine so much that I'm trying to find the new SR45. I've been wanting something in .45 for home defense and I like the idea having a gun with a familiar feel. So I wiill then have virtually the same gun, but the ability to practice in relatively inexpensive 9mm, and the .45 for nightstand duty.