The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 22, 2009, 01:51 AM   #1
gokyo

Noob Powder question.

A lot of people seem to think that Black powder is the only way to go.

Realistically however I am probably going to shoot pyrodex. Can some one please make a recommendation of a good power
Old June 22, 2009, 01:56 AM   #2
Smokin_Gun

I am one who has been of that opinion for about 30 years and still recommend Black Powder fffg for under .50 cal ffg for .50 cal and over...you can shoot either ffg or fffg in either a rev or rifle.
But you can buy either here... I buy 10/lb lots mix and match at a good price...shipping and hazmat included.
BP is more accurate less corrosive and cheaper than Pyrodex...also eazier to clean up...in my opinion.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; June 22, 2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 22, 2009, 02:04 AM   #3
gokyo

Thank you.

I miss posted in the other thread. I will look into BP. the only reason I am thinking pyrodex is that I can obtain it locally.

However I heard that the sportsman's warehouse was sold in my area. the only thing left is a Cabelas. Buying powder from my Cabelas is horrible.
Old June 22, 2009, 05:13 AM   #4
Hawg

The only thing wrong with Pyrodex is it ain't black. It's all I've used for years. Yeah, I'd rather have black but it's not available inside 135 miles and buying in bulk online is out of the question. I mostly use RS for everything.I can't tell any difference between RS and P but I never chrono'd it. It's accurate in rifles and pistols both. It's consistent and it cleans up easy with soapy water. It's not as corrosive as most people seem to think either.
Old June 22, 2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Quote:
buying in bulk online is out of the question.
Why's that, Hawg?
I just call up the Maine Powderhouse and a box shows up at the door.

Do you have some local restriction?
Can't imagine shooting up 25 lbs of powder?
(About 3000 shots at 56 grains a whack in my most used gun.)
Old June 22, 2009, 07:44 AM   #6
mykeal

Bulk purchases are often out of the question because the capital cost is too high. The least expensive 25 lb option I've found is over $250; that's simply too much money at one time.

Yes, it makes economic sense to buy in bulk. But like all economic theories, reality has a way of making the theory impractical.
Old June 22, 2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Deadguy

Go to www.powderinc.com. You don't have to buy 25 lbs at a time, you can buy as little as 5 lbs, and it still comes out to cheaper than store prices for Pyrodex and APP.
Old June 22, 2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Pahoo

I have shot everything up to Blackhorn 209 and the newer White-Hots. If you want to shoot, availablity is the key and shoot whatever suits you. Currently I am mostly shooting 777 and some American Pioneer. For personal reasons, I will never go back to Black Powder or Pyrodex but never fault anyone's choice. Would recommend you stay away from pellets or sticks, as you will see greater performance with loose powder. You know, replacement propellants come and go but Black Powder still survives and getting harder to find and ship.

JMHO ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 22, 2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Go to www.powderinc.com. You don't have to buy 25 lbs at a time, you can buy as little as 5 lbs, and it still comes out to cheaper than store prices for Pyrodex and APP.
That still comes out to 60 bucks or so and yes it's cheaper than Pyro but I can go down the road and buy 1 lb of Pyro. for 16.00 and the wife won't raise hell like she would if I spent 60 bucks on powder. A lb. of Pyro weighs less and it goes further so the price difference isn't quite as bad.
Old June 22, 2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Leatherneck76

Hawg,
I'm not sure where you are in Mississippi but the Bass Pro Shop in Pearl, MS carries real Black Powder. They keep it in a safe and you have to ask for it. It is $19.99 per lb.
Old June 22, 2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg,
I'm not sure where you are in Mississippi but the Bass Pro Shop in Pearl, MS carries real Black Powder
That the one they just built close to the Flying J? Would be cool if I still drove a truck. Useta get oil changes at Speedco. But now it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there.

You wouldn't be the Leatherneck from Purgatory would ya?
Old June 22, 2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Leatherneck76

Yeah, that's the one, right across from the MS Braves stadium.

No, I'm from Lamar County in South MS. I live near Madison, MS now.
Old June 22, 2009, 03:57 PM   #13
Hawg

OK, Purgatory is the Mississippi Peacemakers SASS club in Mendenhall. Leatherneck is the territorial governor.