The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2000, 03:09 PM   #1
Spirex288

I'm relatively new to shotguns. I think it's a whole new game. Anyway I have a simple question that needs an answer from you experts.
Can I shoot slugs from a cylinder bore (i.e. Rem 870 HD)? The reason I ask is because the bore doesn't have any rifling grooves.
Thanks.
Old June 16, 2000, 03:53 PM   #2
Jeff, CA

Yes. You can shoot any slug labelled a "rifled slug". These are designed to fly straight without spinning, or with a minimal spin. You won't be able to use any so-called "sabot" or "saboted" slug. These have a sub-diameter slug riding in a plastic carrier that opens up and falls away after the slug leaves the barrel. They're designed for rifled barrels. You could shoot them from your gun safely, but since they are designed to spin, they probably won't be too accurate.

Old June 16, 2000, 04:15 PM   #3
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Shooting slugs?

"Look out, he's comin' right for us! At about .5mph and leaving a trail of slime!"

Ahem. Sorry.

Punkinballs can be fired down a smoothbore. So can sabots. I fire sabots out of my Mossberg 500 with a 24" cylbore out to 100 yards with no keyholing or wandering. However, sabots are really meant for rifled barrels.
Old June 16, 2000, 04:18 PM   #4
KilgorII

You can do it. Seems like slugs kick more than buckshot though. I don't understand why that would as they are basically the same weights. Anybody experienced this and know why it happens?

Old June 16, 2000, 07:14 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Shot squishes and slugs dont, lessen you steps on em.

That is why one should be careful when buffering shot loads, get less squish and higher pressure.

Salted slugs taste better but tend to rust the bore.

Sam