The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 29, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1
LouisianaAviator

Is the BCM AR15 Good?

I'm looking to buy a 20" barreled AR15. Unfortunately, there's not many manufacturers these days.

I really want a 20" AR with quality on par with such lauded brands as Daniel's Defense, Noveske, and Knights Armament. Of course, those companies don't make them, but they're 16" ones are supposedly the best.

I hear good things about BCM, but is BCM the best 20" AR I can get?

My main focus with this AR is reliability and longevity. As long as accuracy is minute-of-badguy, I'm not too concerned with accuracy.

If BCM isn't the best 20" AR15, what is the most reliable, long lasting one on the market? Would I need to have a custom build? I don't even know of any "custom AR builders"
Old May 29, 2013, 06:05 PM   #2
ThatBeardedGuy

I use one of their charging handles (The Mod 3) because it's got stronger components and doesn't break when you cock it in ways the original wasn't designed to tolerate.

BCM makes pretty awesome stuff. Most military guys I know are fans of their stuff.

"We're gonna turn left!!" - NASCAR, in a nutshell.
Old May 29, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
ThatBeardedGuy

As for it being the best, I'm sure some obscure company somewhere makes a 20" that costs as much as a Soviet tank, but BCM will sell you a working gun that's capable of minute-of-bad-guy or better.

"We're gonna turn left!!" - NASCAR, in a nutshell.
Old May 29, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Captains1911

I like mine, and as far as BCM goes they rank right up there with the likes of Colt, LMT, DD, etc. Buy with confidence.

Old June 2, 2013, 05:52 PM   #5
mike7.62

You would be hard pressed to find a better 20" AR. I've had mine for 2 years now and It's way better than the 20" AR ( M-16 ) that I had in the army ( 74-77 ) just don't shoot as fast.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
CharlieDeltaJuliet

BCM is a great brand . When it comes to AR's, there are some brands I would own and some that I will not. BCM is a good reliable brand. i would own one. I have yet to see a BCM that didn't go bang every time it was supposed to. Buy it and enjoy it.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 4, 2013, 10:45 PM   #7
CLC

I must confess im a BCM fanboy. My 16 incher has been great and the shipping speed just as good. Ordered lots o parts and they came within 7 working days. Sometimes sooner.
Old June 4, 2013, 11:34 PM   #8
BigTex308

Re: Is the BCM AR15 Good?

I'm a fan of BCM. Pretty quality stuff.

Ike
Old June 5, 2013, 04:32 PM   #9
wnycollector

My BCM 14.5 middy has been fantastic over the past several years. I have put ~7K rounds though it with virtually zero issues. I only remember it choking (FTE) on one occasion while shooting Tula ammo. If the OP is looking for a reliable AR, BCM fits that bill.
Old June 5, 2013, 05:40 PM   #10
MarkCO

BCM makes good stuff for sure. Noveske and DD are a touch better, but I would put the BCM in front of some other "famous" companies.

Not sure why 20" is the ultimate for you, but the BCM should be a good piece for you for a long time.
Old June 5, 2013, 10:54 PM   #11
gargodude

I have a BCM 16" middy upper. No issues at all. They have excellent shipping times and customer service.
Old June 5, 2013, 11:32 PM   #12
Maligator

BCM is an excellent company. They produce AR15s that are mil spec & independantly tested and verified to meet the standards. I do not own one myself but I would not hesitate for one moment to purchase one with confidence! I have read numerous accolades from people who routinely trash other brands in addition to others that have nothing but praise for BCM.

You will be very pleased with that purchase.
Old June 5, 2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Achilles11B

My 16" upper is reliable to the point of almost being boring. Their uppers and parts are top-notch.

See a pattern developing on this thread yet?
Old June 5, 2013, 11:51 PM   #14
Quentin2

I also have a BCM 16" midlength upper. No complaints, it's top notch all the way. I added their standard BCG and Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle.

You could buy their complete lower to go along with the upper or do as I did and build up a stripped lower with quality parts. I used a Daniel Defense LPK and BCM receiver extension kit with H buffer and CTR stock.

Last edited by Quentin2; June 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:24 AM   #15
UtopiaTexasG19

I own and use 3 BCM builds, all are top notch, and I have never had any problems with their products.