The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 17, 2012, 07:55 PM   #26
hooligan1

I watch that PH Ivan Carter in the show "Tracks Across Africa" sometimes, and they will indeed use rifles of magnitude that WILL drop animals in their tracks..

Having said that, it's all about bullet placement,,,,"Aim Small,,, Miss Small",.
My own personal experiences show that animals can't be depended on to die instantly..... That's why I spend alot of time and money on my equipment and it's ammunition, and many trips to the range....... I demand that out of myself, to take any game as cleanly and swiftly as I can possible.

just my buckfitty.......
Old March 17, 2012, 10:26 PM   #27
603Country

I'm with jimbob86. Bring enough gun and put the bullet where it counts (heart/lungs). You might or might not knock em down right there, but they won't go far. At the risk of starting a verbal fight, I've never given much credence to the folks that talk about neck shots and ear shots and what have you. Under ideal conditions, yes you can take that shot, but I've shot a lot of deer over more than a couple of decades and I have rarely chosen the neck shot. Just pop em behind the shoulder, waste no meat, go get the ATV and tell momma to heat up the skillet.

I never ran into this neck shooting mania till I moved to Texas. I am a firm believer that the neck shooters don't have as much meat in the freezer. There...I've said it! Sooner or later I knew it'd have to come out.
Old March 18, 2012, 07:15 AM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, 603, it's sort of a distance thing. I generally don't go for neck shots out past 150 yards. Most of my .243 kills have been in the sixty- to 125-yard distance, so the neck shot was a gimme. Off the cuff, I reckon maybe 20 or so of some 24 kills were neck shots. With my '06, commonly at longer distances, I generally went for the heart/lung shot. Probably more of a half-and-half "score".

OTOH, my father was an exceptional shot. I watched him one time call and hit the white spot, offhand, at around 250 yards. Witnesses told of his doing the same at around 500 yards. (He never spoke of such fun things.) I watched my uncle break the neck of a jumping deer as it leapt a fence, at around 125 yards. Stomped the brakes on the jeep, grabbed the rifle, and ruined Bambi's day. And then grinned at me with a, "Bet you can't do that," look. I stayed kinda zipper-lipped.
Old March 18, 2012, 09:59 AM   #29
603Country

Welllll....Yes, it's Ok for a qualified and capable shooter to take those neck shots. Upon further reflection, my gripe is really with the folks that I know and have known that are NOT capable shooters but that spend a lot of hot air stating that they only take neck shots. I spent a lot of time entertaining and guiding corporate clients on 100,000 acres of south Texas ranch back in the 80's and I really got tired of hearing all that baloney from folks I knew couldn't shoot worth a darn. I guess that soured me somewhat on hearing about neck shots, and even today my 'BS meter' pegs instantly when I hear the words.
Old March 18, 2012, 11:07 AM   #30
Keg

603..folks who claim to go for neck shots on deer don't bother me....But if they miss..they might just hear about it....