The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old March 2, 2012, 08:00 PM   #26
603Country

Where did the pigs go? I've spent about 4 or 5 hours on the tractor, tilling up the rooted up ground on my hay field. I noticed that none of the digging was fresh. I'm about half way through with 'resurfacing' my pasture. If those devil hogs come back and root my pasture up again, I may sent airline tickets to any of ya'll that'll shoot at night with IR scopes. Driving a tractor is NOT mentally stimulating.

And rickyrick is SO right. Prior to moving to the country, I never gave a minutes thought to pigs. Now I hate them, hunt them, eat them, clean up pasture after them, think about them, plot vengeance on them. I even developed the new load in the 260 with hogs in mind - so I could hit them out to 400. Am I overly pig focused? I need to go see my shrink. I need wine.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:09 PM   #27
rickyrick

603country,

Very weird right???.

This time last year I was up to my elbows in pigs, blood and spit.

I can't figger it out for crap.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:24 PM   #28
603Country

Yep, where'd they go? Do hogs go on Spring Break? Are they down in Florida? There are no acorns to eat. They quit torturing my pasture. No muddy wallows in the tanks. Very puzzling! Well...I have sworn vengeance for my pasture damage. I'll be waiting! Sooner or later they'll come tippy-toeing out of the wood edge, and a very ugly surprise will happen.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:34 PM   #29
johnmcgowan

603, I'll do one better , I'll go in half with ya on the airline ticket if you want someone to come down and help you rid your property of these vial vermin!
Yeah man , Im serious,... Ive always wanted to bust a cap or 4 into these no good,pasture destroying,poop dropping, squeeling slew footed bastages.

Spring break down at the beach maybe? Lets be on the lookout for some bootleg videos to be hitting the store shelves soon
... Spring Break '12 Hogs Gone Wild!

Signed: Have Ruger 270 Winchester with 130 gr Ballsitic tips, will travel!!!

John
Old March 3, 2012, 10:02 AM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Looks like the OP's question is pretty-well answered...
Old March 3, 2012, 11:39 AM   #31
603Country

I'll keep you in mind, johnmcgowan, if those stinky sneaky hogs come back.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:49 AM   #32
Doyle

603Country, hogs can and will travel quite large distances between feeding, bedding, and pooping areas. They are about the only animal that will actually go to a favorite poop spot rather than spoil their feeding or bedding area. There is an absolutely beautiful oak grove standing by itself in the public huntling area I hunt. It is so covered in pig poop that you'd think you were standing in a barnyard. Other hunters keep watching it thinking they'll surprise a hog entering or leaving a bed. Nope. They just stop there in the middle of the night to poop then leave.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:31 PM   #33
Double Naught Spy

I have a place on my property that was a restroom area being used by hogs for several months last year. They were coming across onto my property just far enough to do this, but were failing to make the additional 50-75 yards to make it to a feeder which seemed odd.

With that said, we find that the hogs will often poop in the immediate vicinity of feeders. They will poop in a food plot they are rooting.

There are lots of animals that will not pee or poop in their bedding area. If you have a lot of hog poop in one area, it is a good bet the hogs are bedding nearby.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:48 PM   #34
rickyrick

Well, one things for sure...when you shoot a pig, they poop! LOL!

I guess the OP is thinking the pigs ain't that bad, with the way we're talking.

Who wants to start a poll about where they is and where they ain't?
Old March 3, 2012, 08:05 PM   #35
603Country

The pigs have a representative that's reading this forum. I typed in my pig comments this morning, saying that I didn't know where the hogs were, then I hopped on the tractor and went in the back to finish tilling up the hog rooting damage. I had tilled about 2/3 of the damaged ground yesterday. Well, overnight the pigs came back and rooted up about half of what I had tilled. What a mess! All I can think is that the smell of tilled earth probably drew them in. They did most of their rooting in areas that I had tilled. I'm sunburned and low on diesel...and irritated.

To the OP: the piggies are indeed bad in TX.
Old March 3, 2012, 08:08 PM   #36
rickyrick

Thinking about going out tonite, I like that half moon out there right now.