The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 1, 2009, 01:32 PM   #1
geoffthesnake

New Shotgun Info

What are your thoughts on the Browning BPS, Beneli Nova, and Winchester Super X Pump guns?

I'd like to get a new shotgun, mainly for trap shooting, but also for HD purposes.

Would a short barrel something like 18 or 18.5" be accurate enough for trap shooting or would I need something like 26"?

I'm willing tp spend ~400$

I've heard talk about Remingtons and Mossbergs, but I would like input from these other brands.

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2009, 01:47 PM   #2
colostomyclown

Browning makes a "BPS tactical" and it's pretty reasonable (375-450 from what I understand). I'd grab one of those with a 20" barrel and pick up and extra longer barrel and you're set. Not sure how hard it is to get a replacement BPS barrel.
Old May 1, 2009, 03:38 PM   #3
BigJimP

Of the 3 guns you mention - the Browning BPS is my choice. It has a very smooth action, good strong guns, good components - and will last for 2 or 3 generations easily. That is not to say the Nova or the Winchester are bad guns / I think they're decent guns as well - but its my opinion that the BPS is on a par with the Remington 870 Wingmaster ( and I would put them both on the higher end of the pump guns ).

The shortest barrel I would recommend for any clay target games - especially Trap shooting is 28". A model like the BPS Hunter model - in 12ga, 28" will fit the bill for you and meet your budget.

I shot Trap for years with a BPS - and it was a good economical beginning gun to get into clay target shooting.

If you go less than 28" on a Trap range / you may find clubs telling you, you can't shoot a gun shorter than that / or shooters telling you, they won't shoot on the station next to you. Guns with barrel lengths under 26" at least - give the shooters beside you a lot of muzzle blast - especially on a hard left or hard right target as you make a move in front of those other shooters. I think you will also find out quickly - that a shorter barrel length - will not give you very good results in terms of consistent scores. You need a longer barrel length for a longer sight plane - and better follow thru on moving targets. Its a different dynamic than a tactical weapon.

Buying a 2nd barrel for a Browning BPS will probably cost you close to $ 300 - and it really isn't practical. If you want a "tactical or fighting weapon" - you should probably look at something that fits that goal / and a different gun for the clay target games / maybe buying one used and one new.
Old May 1, 2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No losers in that list.

The BPS is a class act, a touch on the heavy side.

The Winchester has lots of happy owners, and the ones I've shot pointed well and shucked smoothly.

The Novas tend to heavy triggers and they rattle a bit, but other wise they are fine guns.

Get the one that feels best.

Of course, try an 870 also, heh,heh,heh....
Old May 1, 2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

I have a BPS Upland Special (22" VR barrel w/Invector chokes, http://www.browning.com/products/cat...12&type_id=216 ) that is about perfect for everything as is, IMHO. I don't know how much extra barrels cost for BPSs or how widely available they are- I have the idea they are scarce and expensive compared to more widely sold shotguns. Only thing is, for trap you'd REALLY appreciate at least a 28" barrel to help with the swing... I don't shoot trap 8^).

Someone mentioned the BPS High Capacity- I don't know if they make longer barrels for those, as the barrel ring seems as if it would be in a different place.

I don't know Novas at all. Never ran across a deal on one, and they don't appeal to me enough to pay retail to get. I'm a cheapskate, I'll settle for a good old model Remington Express for $150-175 far too readily to chase more expensive stuff, except to experiment with. I like a couple of other pumpguns that show up cheap from time to time also, notably the Stevens 520/620 and the High Standard Flite King/J.C. Higgins Model 20.

Far as I know the new Winchester pumps aren't in wide distribution yet, so no one really knows anything about them yet- at least I haven't seen any hands-on reviews so far. I have one on order at my favorite FFL dealer's place, at that price I couldn't resist. If it's a 1300 clone, that will be great. Dealer says they are made in the USA, that's a good sign far as I'm concerned.

Best bet IMHO is something with widely available, relatively inexpensive spare barrels. That lends the advantage to Remington and Mossberg, as best I can figure it.

fwiw,

lpl

Last edited by Lee Lapin; May 1, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old May 2, 2009, 12:02 AM   #6
seanie

I would skip on the Nova. I've got a Benelli Super Nova, and there's a reason for it. It's a much nicer gun for a slightly higher price. If aftermarket parts are your thing, I wouldn't recommend any Benelli at all. With barrels alone weighing in at around the $300 mark and almost no non-factory accessories, it's not an easy gun to accessorize. With that said, I love my Benelli.