The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2014, 02:51 PM   #1
WildBill45

New XD the bad way

I inherited an XD from my dad who just passed last week … he was an 85 year-old Korean War Veteran who shot .45 slugs up close and personal and wanted a new one last year. The first time he shot it on the first shot, before my yell got out of mouth, the slide cut his left thumb, which he put over the top of his right hand, a habit he developed when I got him an S&W bodyguard .38! I had to take him to the medical folks who looked at me funny because I had 84 year-old, at the time, out shooting a big, bad 45. I told them he used a .45 in Korea very well, but was just a little rusty.

The XD was purchased new last year and was only shot twice more by Dad, less than a box put through it, and I put one box through it a few days ago to check it out. I haven’t owned a Springfield handgun since my custom competition .45 back a few years. I will post photos and video real soon. It shoots well, and feels good so far. I think the case with holster, 2 mags, and mag holders, will make a good trunk gun for occasions when I should have brought a bigger gun and now need one.

Any XD owners find any ammo preferences their XD likes or doesn’t? Any inherent problems develop with your XD?

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; September 17, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old September 16, 2014, 05:37 PM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
Any inherent problems develop with your XD?
The striker retaining pin is said to be subject to breakage. It's easy to replace with a stronger aftermarket roll pin.

XD45 should be a good gun.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 16, 2014, 06:10 PM   #3
KyJim

My condolences. Hopefully, your father got to do some shooting after the incident.

My father also served and saw action in Korea. He is 86. He has already given me a couple of firearms including an M1 Garand. He said he wants me to have his M1 Carbine when he passes on. That's what he mostly carried in Korea. I told him I hoped it would be another forty years.
Old September 16, 2014, 06:49 PM   #4
SmokinTom

I really can`t count the rounds I have put through my XD`s. I have 5 of them. Two 9mm`s,357sig,40 s@w and a 45acp. I have not found any ammo that didn`t shoot if that helps. Never a jam.
Old September 16, 2014, 06:52 PM   #5
tahunua001

my XDM45 compact like jack ross ammo but it's hard to come by these days. blazer brass is also good in mine.
Old September 17, 2014, 09:40 PM   #6
WildBill45

Quote:
The striker retaining pin is said to be subject to breakage.
Is there any one replacement proven to be better?

Old September 17, 2014, 10:36 PM   #7
tahunua001

I am not familiar with that particular issue, not saying that it's not a problem, I've just never seen anyone complain of that.

canyon creek armory, springer precision, or Powder River Precision specialize in XD and XDM parts, one of them is bound to have the part.
Old September 18, 2014, 12:08 AM   #8
WildBill45

photos

Here are a few shots of my XD shot today at the range.

The XD shot well on the run, and during off hand sight check shots as shown in the image attached. The recoil and control was excellent, as well as the recovery time from shot to shot. The grip safety was not felt during shooting and worked well and naturally for the newbie or experienced shooter. So far I like it!

Has anyone experienced any problems with attaching a light or laser on the XD in regard to moving the impact point due to the devices???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XD target.jpg (101.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg XD 2.jpg (204.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg XD 1.jpg (93.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by WildBill45; September 18, 2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: change a word or two
Old September 18, 2014, 10:58 AM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Quote:
he striker retaining pin is said to be subject to breakage.
Is there any one replacement proven to be better?
This here is what I used: Pistolgear.com, striker retaining pin, coiled.

Proven? Lots of hearsay in the Inbterwebz gunboards. The original pin on my 2006 vintage XD had a bit of a bend to it once it came out, so, yeah, "maybe". More of a "peace of mind" thing.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 18, 2014, 02:42 PM   #10
WildBill45

Quote:
The original pin on my 2006 vintage XD had a bit of a bend to it once it came out, so, yeah, "maybe". More of a "peace of mind" thing.

Is this just a punch out and put back in part?

Old September 18, 2014, 02:44 PM   #11
WildBill45

Quote:
My condolences. Hopefully, your father got to do some shooting after the incident.
He did get to shoot a couple of more times! He really enjoyed the M1 Garand that a member let him shoot at the club. He didn't fire many rounds with any gun in one shooting session due to his age. He had fun, and stopped at that...

Last edited by WildBill45; September 18, 2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add a few words or so
Old September 18, 2014, 04:03 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Is this just a punch out and put back in part?
Yeah, mostly. When I got mine, I also got a [url=http://www.pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=SP-SP]"Striker retaining pin starter punch". Did I absolutely need it? Probably not.
Old September 19, 2014, 06:56 PM   #13
WildBill45

ordered the new parts that may need to be put in to cover shortcomings found out here.

Striker Retaining Pin (Coiled) $2.00 1 $2.00
SP-SP Striker Retaining Pin Starter Punch $13.75 1 $13.75
00PG046 Aluminum Striker Spring Guide (black)

I know these parts may not be needed, but if they were a problem for some, I will feel better with new ones! My XD is new, last year's latest model with 13 round mags ... I do not know if that makes a difference, but, the parts are on the way!

I bought the punch insertion tool since it should make it easier to install the pin and do it right the first time. I don't know if the tool will be useful for other purposes or not. Has anyone used the tool before, bought from PistolGear?

Old September 19, 2014, 07:12 PM   #14
lee n. field

It's a punch with a hollow cavity in the end. Pretty much good for what you bought it for.
Old September 19, 2014, 07:20 PM   #15
WildBill45

Quote:
It's a punch with a hollow cavity in the end. Pretty much good for what you bought it for.
OK then, I will have it for the job at hand.

Old September 20, 2014, 01:46 PM   #16
arizona98tj

Dont' get all wrapped around the striker retaining pin failing. It is not at all common. I've been shooting the heck out of my Springfields (.45ACP & 9mm) and haven't experienced a failure yet.

Old September 21, 2014, 12:18 AM   #17
WildBill45

Quote:
I've been shooting the heck out of my Springfields (.45ACP & 9mm) and haven't experienced a failure yet.
That is a good thing to hear! I like the way it shoots, both accuracy wise and feel and control. I will do some more serious shooting soon, and report back then...

Old September 21, 2014, 04:43 PM   #18
INMY01TA

I have the same, XD45 service, since 2009. Been %100 reliable, never a failure of any kind. Eats any ammo I've ever fed it. This is one gun you don't have to worry about in any way.