The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2013, 09:48 PM   #1
rmocarsky

Racking a P238

Gunners,

I am interested in pocket carry and one of the resounding suggestions is the Sig P238.

Only problem is . . . I can't get comfortable with cocked and locked pocket carry.

I have also read that the little 380 is very easy to rack.

True?

Rmocarsky
Old August 2, 2013, 09:53 PM   #2
comn-cents

I pocket carry in one of these http://pjholster.com/?page_id=95.
Cocked & locked works great, never a problem, it racks very easily.
Old August 2, 2013, 11:28 PM   #3
grogg88

Sad to say, but I've even performed an inadvertent drop test while cocked and locked. No issues, but even if the hammer had somehow fallen it does have a FPB.

Also, yes they have a light recoil spring and racking is performed easily.
Old August 2, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
dakota.potts

Racking a P238 is incredibly easy. My mom has systemic lupus which affects the joints and it was the only one she was able to slide.

After some time with my CZ 75, the slide on the 238 feels like a toy It is seriously nothing. Lighter than some .22s I've used
Old August 3, 2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Learn to carry with the chamber loaded and the hammer down. Thumb cock the hammer. It's safe.
Old August 3, 2013, 07:04 AM   #6
kcub

+1

For years I carried a Colt Pocketlite in condition 2. You can cock upon drawing after practice (unloaded of course). This is a good skill for da/sa guns as well. It's more precise to cock it and use it single action.
Old August 3, 2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Ibmikey

I agree with Bill and Kcub, for pocket carry have round in chamber hammer down safety off. I have a P238, P938 and several Star DK pistols that are carried in this fashion in the pocket or IWB holster. I have no problem carrying cocked and locked until dropping into a pocket, unpleasant things could happen.
Old August 3, 2013, 10:48 AM   #8
comn-cents

I carried a mustang in a pocket cocked & locked for a couple of years and never had a problem. I carry a p238 the same way going on 4 years still no problem. I've never heard of one going off magically in anyone's pocket because they carried Cocked&Locked!
Old August 3, 2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Mystro

Cock and locked is the only way the gun was designed to be carried. Its safe and has always been the way a 1911 type gun is made to be carried. Not to be too direct but, its your hang up if you cant understand and accept the way it is to be correctly carried. You shouldn't have to figure a work around carry method to your illogical fears.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old August 3, 2013, 12:51 PM   #10
grogg88

Re: Racking a P238

Quote:
Originally Posted by comn-cents View Post
I carried a mustang in a pocket cocked & locked for a couple of years and never had a problem. I carry a p238 the same way going on 4 years still no problem. I've never heard of one going off magically in anyone's pocket because they carried Cocked&Locked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Cock and locked is the only way the gun was designed to be carried. Its safe and has always been the way a 1911 type gun is made to be carried. Not to be too direct but, its your hang up if you cant understand and accept the way it is to be correctly carried. You shouldn't have to figure a work around carry method to your illogical fears.
Exactly! Definitely no worse than carrying one in the chamber on a striker fired pistol...

As I noted above, it has a firing pin block. Unless your safety gets turned off and the trigger pulls itself in your pocket you should be fine.
If I didn't feel comfortable carrying in condition 1 then I wouldn't own it.
Old August 3, 2013, 01:31 PM   #11
tipoc

Quote:
I have also read that the little 380 is very easy to rack.
Yes it's true with any method of racking the slide. The traditional method of racking is to hold the frame stable with the strong hand and pull the slide quickly rearward with the weak hand. The more recently developed method is to hold the slide stable with the weak hand and push the frame forward with the strong. This is particularly simple.

Also...

Quote:
Cock and locked is the only way the gun was designed to be carried. Its safe and has always been the way a 1911 type gun is made to be carried.
This is not true. The 1911 was designed to be carried safely with the methods the military wanted of which cocked and locked is one. While many prefer c&l for it's speed and simplicity it is not always the best for all situations.

The P238, like the Colt Mustang, can be safely carried with the hammer down on a live round. The 238 I notice, has a half cock position.

At any rate if a person does not feel comfortable with Condition 1 carry there are the other options available. I encourage folks to learn all the modes of carry so they can use each one or not as they feel the need or the situation calls for.

Quote:
Not to be too direct but, its your hang up if you cant understand and accept the way it is to be correctly carried. You shouldn't have to figure a work around carry method to your illogical fears.
I've never seen a fella adopt C&L carry because another fella berated them into it. I've met many people adopt Condition 1 carry because they were trained for it and gained confidence in the guns and their abilities. This usually comes as a result of some work.

Also it is entirely a "correct" way to carry the gun condition 2 or three. May not be best in some situations but that is for the person carrying the gun to decide. Works best that way inmy experience.

tipoc
Old August 3, 2013, 02:27 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

No, condition one is not the ONLY way these guns were designed to be carried.
The 1911 was actually designed to be carried hammer down, condition 2.
Old August 3, 2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Koda94

The Sigs and Colts SA pocket pistols are great choices, carry them however you want just make certain you follow rule #2 if your lowering the hammer on a live round for conditon 2 carry.
Old August 3, 2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Peter M. Eick

Just keep in mind these are not true 1911's. Like the original poster there are times I feel a bit uncomfortable carrying the 238 C&L'ed in a front pocket holster. I prefer carrying either hammer down empty or hammer down on a live round.
Old August 5, 2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Mystro

Find any credible shooting institutions that advises carrying a 1911 type gun in any other condition than "cocked and locked"......there isn't any. Been to Gunsite twice and I can guarantee you that you would never ever be allowed to carry, practice or train with the 1911 in any other carry method than the "Cocked and Locked". Lets address the OP gun itself and see what the Sig manual states as a safe way of carrying the P238. They go out of their way to warn the operators never to carry the P938 with the hammer down on a live round. I suppose you could drive your car around with the door pushed open but that wouldn't be advisable either.

There is nothing complicated or debatable about this subject.
Carry it as pictured and advised by every firearm institution and manufacturer of the gun.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; August 5, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old August 5, 2013, 09:48 AM   #16
hardhat harry

The P238 WAS NOT DESIGNED to be carried in Condition 2, it is not a 1911. Read the owners manual, it specifically mentions NOT lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber. Either carry it loaded and locked, or carry it with the chamber empty (which is not a good idea for self defense).

Get a good pocket holster that covers the trigger if there is a concern about somehow putting the thumb safety OFF and pulling the trigger while in your pocket.
Old August 5, 2013, 10:15 AM   #17
Mystro

Non of today's 1911's are ment to be carried with the hammer down in a live round. All 1911's will show in their manual that they are only designed to be carried "Cocked and Locked". This is not debatable so let's not start any misinformation for new gun owners.

Old August 5, 2013, 02:11 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

Horsepoop!
All 1911s have an inertial firing pin.
The thumb safety was added to the 1911 at the request of the cavalry.
While I do agree that condition 1 is the preferred method of carry today, condition 2 is not unsafe.
I have no direct knowledge of the SIG gun, other than it is a copy of a gun that is safe to carry in condition 2.

BTW- the safety is "OFF" in your picture!
Old August 5, 2013, 02:25 PM   #19
hardhat harry

Condition 2 is not unsafe..GETTING IT THERE IS.
Old August 5, 2013, 02:38 PM   #20
TailGator

The P238 does rack easily. The arguments against carrying unchambered are that racking the slide takes time that you may not have, and is done most efficiently with two hands and you won't always have two hands free. Both are valid arguments against carrying without a round in the chamber, but are to one extent or another equally valid arguments against carrying in ankle holsters, belly bands, kangaroo-style holsters, and tuckable holsters.

The safety of the P238 clicks very decisively on and off. Cocked and locked is safe with that pistol. I would recommend carrying with a chambered round in a holster that covers the trigger guard for it and any quality handgun. Carrying without a chambered round is a legitimate option if you just can't get comfortable with the idea, though, and is better than being completely unarmed.

Quote:
Condition 2 is not unsafe..GETTING IT THERE IS.
There is much wisdom to that argument relative to the P238; there is not a provided mechanism for decocking other than pulling the trigger and holding the hammer back. If done at all, it should certainly not be done without having the pistol pointed in a safe direction like a sand barrel, swimming pool, or a portion of the earth certain to be free of rocks or other hard objects.
Old August 5, 2013, 02:45 PM   #21
hardhat harry

Thanks Tailgator. Lots of folks going off Half-Cocked

nevermind

Last edited by hardhat harry; August 5, 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: add
Old August 5, 2013, 03:39 PM   #22
spacecoast

Quote:
Carry it as pictured
Quote:
BTW- the safety is "OFF" in your picture!
True, according to Page 11 of http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsC...01.2%20web.pdf

But hey, maybe that's how you carry the knife too

Personally, lacking a grip safety, I think I would be very hesitant to carry it in Condition 1 in a pocket. The holster mentioned at http://pjholster.com/?page_id=95 looks very good, however.
Old August 5, 2013, 06:15 PM   #23
Bill DeShivs

People think nothing of using a decocker on a gun. These are mechanical devices and I have seen them fail. I always lower the hammer with my thumb-decocker or not.
Of course you have to be careful lowering the hammer on a single action gun. After all, it's a GUN. If you train properly, it's as safe as any other gun handling.
Old August 5, 2013, 07:40 PM   #24
kcub

mighty purty grips, Mystro
Old August 5, 2013, 08:44 PM   #25
Mystro

Picture corrected. Grips are custom charcole box elder burl from "High figure grips". His grips are amazing and you get to select the exact wood since every pattern/hue is individual.