The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 29, 2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Chip Saunders

Looking for Input - First Rifle

Hi all,
I have been a gun enthusiast for only about a year now. I caught the bug due to the current administration’s efforts at gun control. Like most kids (58), the quickest way to make me want something is tell me I can’t have it…..

I have a 20 ga. Savage double barrel and a Marlin 66 22 lr, both left over from my very young days. In the past year I acquired a Rem 760 for home defense, A Browning Buckmark 22 pistol and a Hi-point 9mm Carbine.
I live in Alabama and gun laws here are pretty…..well…..there are hardly any for which I am grateful. My CCW permit was basically passing the Brady Bill test, the Sherriff making sure he had no posters of me, and $20 a year.

There is a public shooting range in a national forest about 30 minutes out of town with 25 – 50 and 100 yard embankments, where you can shoot pretty much anything you want. The range rules are short and simple. Another plus for Alabama….

As you can see my “collection” is lacking a serious rifle. I have be researching and going to gun shows for months now and I wanted to share my thinking and see if anyone has some other insights for me.

First, I am pretty much set on 7.62X39. Ammo is cheap and I like to shoot a lot. Next, I am 6’7”, which means the short length of pull in most AK’s it a deal breaker – and no, I won’t get used to it, the guns feel like a child’s toy in my hands.

Now I was just about to buy a Saiga about a month ago but decided to wait a little as the wife needed new (and expensive) tires on her SUV (could have got 2 Saiga’s for the price of those tires!). Then, low and behold, the very next week, our supreme Lord and dictator bans the import of most Russian rifles in order to bring old Valdimir to his knees. Now the Saiga’s are shooting up faster than Putin’s SAM missiles. This leaves me 3 options as I see it:

Century Arms makes a US make AK called a Sporter 39, with a longer length of pull. The milled receiver means though that I would be stuck with that stock as there are few (any?) AK stocks for the milled receiver.

Ruger Mini 30. A bit higher on the price scale, but cool looking and the length of pull is ok, especially if I add a pad. But I have read that sometimes they are not doing well with cheap Russian ammo….THAT would be a deal breaker.

The venerable SKS. Now, SKS owners please don’t take exception as it is just my taste, but I think the SKS with the wood stock is way down the scale in the looks department. Swap to a black synthetic stock and its OK. Go with a Tapco tactical kit and they are (IMHO) the meanest looking semi autos out there. But of course, there is 922r to deal with, as I would want to comply. Tapco makes a kit, I think, to be sure you have the required American parts, I think I can handle it. But I am also worried about buying an old , used gun to start with.

Well that’s where I stand ATM in my decision making. Have I overlooked something? Any input/corrections?

Thanks
Old July 29, 2014, 09:07 PM   #2
TXAZ

Have you looked at the Drugunov?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 29, 2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
Have you looked at the Drugunov?
Didn't you read his post? He wants a 7.62x39mm rifle.

Old July 29, 2014, 11:08 PM   #4
DubC-Hicks

Get a stamped AK and a collapsible stock. That's what I'd do/did.
Old July 31, 2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Chip Saunders

so the collapsible stock is longer than the standard "Warsaw" length?
Old July 31, 2014, 09:36 PM   #6
DubC-Hicks

Ohh yeah. I run a rifle dynamics RDAK adapter with an AR tube and Moe stock, and its way more than long enough.
Old July 31, 2014, 10:09 PM   #7
highpower3006

I have a few AK rifles. I like the platform and the fact that ammo is inexpensive and plentiful. There are a lot of quality AK rifles out there are are genuine bargains. I especially like the Serbian OPAP and NPAP rifles, I also have a M70AB2 underfolder. All are solid rifle and reasonably priced.

You might consider the new WASR's. The early ones had some quality control issues, but the new ones being imported today are as good as any that are out there. Don't let the Arsenal and other high end AK fanboys convince you that you have to have a $1000 plus AK to have a good rifle. One for a bit more than half of that will work just fine.

If you want something a bit different, check out the Romanian AES-10B RPK clones. I just bought one and it is quickly becoming my favorite AK. They are a bit heavy though.......

Here is some gratuitous AK pics for your enjoyment.

OPAP:

M70AB2: This one is done up as a Battlefield Pick Up rifle (BPU)

WASR: Another BPU

And my new favorite, AES-10B: Shown with a few Russian bakelite mags
Old July 31, 2014, 10:51 PM   #8
Fishbed77

highpower, that OPAP is extra sexy.

I hate I missed the boat on OPAPs.
Old August 1, 2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Blindstitch

Seems to me that someone has to make longer stocks for rifles for bigger people.

If it were me I would buy the rifle I want and find someone to make it into what I need. I've seen woodworkers add sections to the rear of the stock and reshape them to look right for people who couldn't afford to buy a new stock.

An AK stock would be even easier than an sks.

But then again I bought a chinese sks last month for $200 with 400 rounds of ammo. It was an easy decision. I could buy a tapco stock for it but my wife likes the wood and at 4 foot 11 it fits her pretty good.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Chip Saunders

Highpower, I never thought I could say an AK was pretty but the top pic with the very dark wood is actually beautiful......

Thanks for the advice about the WASR
Old August 4, 2014, 11:31 AM   #11
Unlicensed Dremel

You've gotten good advice, but I have to say - please be advised that the 6.8 SPC is everything the 7.62x39 should have been - and more (and to a lesser extent, so is the 6.5 grendel). And you *know* which platform I would recommend for either of these, right? AKs are heavy with terrible triggers - but do have their upsides and appeal. Good luck!