The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2013, 04:09 AM   #1
Ted D

.22 cal

I tried the search on the forum couldn't find anything.Can you reload .22? I looked at FS reloading couldn't find Dies listed.My 10yr.Daughter went to the range with me and shes hooked.I rented a .22 for her and she went through 500rnds.in 3hr.She got mad when we ran out.
Old August 13, 2013, 04:57 AM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
I tried the search on the forum couldn't find anything.Can you reload .22? I looked at FS reloading couldn't find Dies listed.My 10yr.Daughter went to the range with me and shes hooked.I rented a .22 for her and she went through 500rnds.in 3hr.She got mad when we ran out
The .22 Rimfire, having its priming compound deposited inside the case around the rim instead of having a separate and removable primer, is not considered to be reloadable.
Old August 13, 2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Ted D

Thanks now i have to find.22 ammo its like finding a needle in a hay stack Round here.
Old August 15, 2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Boomer58cal

Technically...yes

There are people that do it. Mostly for very old antique black powder 22's.

It's just not worth the trouble. It takes special tools. You have to load many thousand rounds to make your money back.

Boomer
Old August 15, 2013, 12:16 AM   #5
jimbob86

You can make .223 bullet jackets out of .22 rimfire cases....
Old August 15, 2013, 07:59 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
There are people that do it. Mostly for very old antique black powder 22's.
Do you mean that there are people who pull the bullets from modern rim-fire and replace it with Black Powder, for those antiques? If so, that is not the frame of reference for his question. "Reloadable" in his frame of reference is shot-it-once, hand load, shoot it again.

Quote:
...It's just not worth the trouble. It takes special tools...
Boomer, where are those tools sold?
Old August 15, 2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Boomer58cal

I can't remember off hand the name of the company that sells these tools. A guy at the Portland Oregon gun show used to sell them. Basically the tool is a pair of pliers with a pin that just fits the inside diameter of the case. When you squeeze the pliers it removes the previous firing pin dent. He used strike anywhere matches, but not the standard kind. The survival matches that are three or four inches long. You very gently scrape the match material off the stick. The survival matches have about 20 times the amount match material as a standard kind do. You make a paste out of that material with a few drops of water. You put one drop of this paste in the bottom of each case. Lightly tap( Not slam ) the case to get the priming compound evenly spread in the bottom of the case. Allowed to dry. You then fill the case to the top with FFF or FFFF black powder. Then pressed a lead round ball into the case. I'm not sure what he used to press the ball into the case.

The salesman that sold these tools shot them out of a 22 long rifle black powder revolver.

It wouldn't be hard to make one of these tools out of a pair of pliers and a bolt.

Boomer
Old August 15, 2013, 03:12 PM   #8
JimDandy

Finding a 500 round value pack today would be difficult. My local range sells more expensive CCI 100 round packs and doesn't appear to be anywhere near running out however. So you can more than likely easily find some, but the price will be a bit more than you're used to.
Old August 15, 2013, 03:26 PM   #9
JimDandy

Whoops, Duplicate, Delete as necessary anybody.
Old August 15, 2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Blindstitch

May I suggest another semi option. Right now it's a pain to buy 22 S-L-LR or magnum for that matter but it's still out there. I don't want to be that guy that buys it all and leaves others with nothing but I have had the opportunity in the past few weeks to buy a good deal. But I didn't. I have seen bricks of 500 or 325 and smaller packs of 50 or 100.

Once a week I have bought 3 packs of 50 for the past few weeks. 4 box limit and I won't buy if it's the last few boxes. I don't need it that bad. But it's popping up more often so take you time and buy here and there. When the stock is back up and people are getting their fill buy for the future.

Until then my suggestion is to build, modify, customize a rifle for/with her. Princess stickers, ponies or whatever. Different colors, optics and whatnot.

That's my solution for the hurdle. I'm doing the same right now. Took the girlfriend out with a Marlin Model 25 and she was doing great but the rifle was to heavy. Plus she's a leftie so she was having trouble with the bolt action so our solution was to get one of those rossi single shot 22/410's in youth size. She's 4 foot 11 inches and small. Ended up adding a recoil pad and quick release sling. Then we took it out thinking things would be fine and they weren't. The sites were to bulky and shooting 25 yards was a trick and better off done blindfolded. Now she has a red dot on it and it's growing into what she wants for plinking. As it sits it weights just a hair over 3 pounds. Once the basic setup is done I think she's going to move on to painting up the synthetic stock and doing other creative things.

Best part is it all folds up into a bag about 8x24 with a carry sling. I have a feeling we're going to build a hardbox lined with foam as the creativity continues.

Good luck finding ammo and enjoy shooting with your daughter.
Old August 15, 2013, 11:06 PM   #11
Bezoar

unless you have the same lab set up as say hornady or remington, you really cant reload rimfires. the internal pressure is really really quirky at that chamber diameter.
Old August 16, 2013, 04:34 AM   #12
Bart B.

Years ago, folks living in desolate areas of Russia would melt down then cast recovered lead bullets from small game into new ones. Wood stick match heads would be ground into a paste with water then smeared into the rim of .22 long rifle fired cases then set aside to dry. A small measure of black powder would be put in and the bullet seated. A single case could be indexed 4 or 5 times so the undented part was aligned with the firing pin. It put meat on the table.

Reading a magazine article about this years ago, I remember one part saying a tool was made to push out the firing pin dent so indexing a reloaded case wasn't needed.
Old August 16, 2013, 08:00 AM   #13
serf 'rett

Strike anywhere matches?

They are rarer than .22 ammo in our area. It has been years since I saw any strike anywhere matches.
Old August 16, 2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Sierra280

Not strike anywhere matches, you only want the all red ones (strike on box). Slowly rolling NO MORE than 2 or 3 at a time under a wooden dowel will give you the red phosphorus powder (it is highly volatile). If you are in a pinch (ie behind enemy lines, or some other fubar scenario) you can remove a center fire primer, put the anvil back in the primer pocket, the pack the pocket with red phosphorus and carefully press the cap back in. Voila!! Reusable centerfire primer. This stuff is right out of the improvised munitions handbook, and should not even be attempted. It is only to be used if you are deep in 'stuff' and even then should only be used to get yourself some good ammo and a firearm from someone who has one.

Again, DO NOT PLAY WITH RED PHOSPHORUS OR IMPROVISED MUNITIONS, it's just asking for something to go wrong.
Old August 16, 2013, 12:52 PM   #15
Sierra280

Hmmm, didn't really think it through before posting that reply. This discussion has gotten into bad territory.

No 22 rim fires are not reloadable, ammo availability is increasing, just buy some!

Last edited by Sierra280; August 16, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old August 16, 2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Bart B.

serf 'rett asks if I referred to strike anywhere matches.

Yes, I did. Cut the white tip off of the red stuff atop wood stick matches, gently grind a bunch up then mix with a bit of water.