The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old May 23, 2007, 12:07 AM   #1
lawdogso

Feeling Better Than I Did Before

Hey guys. I need your advice. I bought a gun on the board a while back and it came with hi-cap mags. Well, I am in California so I agreed to buy the pistol if the seller would send the mags to a friend out of state. The seller agreed and I paid for the gun. The gun arrived at my dealer just fine. The mags however never got to my friend and the seller says he doesn't know if he has a tracking #, and he'll get back to me. I have asked several times if he sent the mags and he said he did. They never showed up at my friends place.
Here is a quote from 4-18-07..." I shipped out the 4 mags. today....priority mail should be there in a few days."

What would you guys do here. I am not wanting to call anyone a thief but things just don't seem to add up. The mags on this purchase were really the deal breaker. Without them the gun is not worth what I paid for it.
Help me out... lawdogso

Last edited by lawdogso; May 24, 2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old May 23, 2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Hedley

Maybe I'm not following, but-

He sent the mags to a different state since owning such mags are a no-no in your state? And my assumption would be that instead of the seller breaking the law by shipping outlawed mags to your location, you got him to send them to a third party. If they were truly for your friend, then it's his loss. If they were for you, then I'd let it go.

Edit- Put on my reading glasses

Quote:
Without them the gun is not worth what I paid for it.
So you did have the seller send the high capacity mags to your friend with the intention to either have him A.)send them to you, or B.)have him hold on to them until you move out of California. Either way, I'd let it go. Maybe the seller got uncomfortable, realized what was going on, and decided not to be a part of the transaction. Not that he's 100% in the right, but I'd suck it up and let it go.
Old May 23, 2007, 01:24 AM   #3
lawdogso

The mags were going to a friend who was going to buy them from me to make to whole deal worthwile. What I was going to do with them is not the point anyway. The point is that they never showed up. Maybe the seller got uncomfortable? There is nothing for the seller to get uncomfortable about. This was a law abiding transaction. There were $100. worth of mags that never showed up. Thats hard to let go.
lawdogso
Old May 23, 2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Mak308

I would call the sender at least a couple more times. If they don't show up than I would have a long talk with your buddy that was supposed to get them .
Old May 23, 2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

I assume you're talking about a certain Glock 23. If the seller followed through with the pistol, the odds are good that he followed through with the mags as well.

I'll ask the question Mak308 implied - how good a friend and how trustworthy is your buddy?

You did indeed get ripped off, but it is yet to be determined by whom.
Old May 23, 2007, 09:33 AM   #6
lawdogso

"How good a friend and how trustworthy is your buddy?"

We were both law enforcement officers together and stood side by side in some very nasty situations together. I would and have trusted him with my life and he the same. His honesty is not at question.

lawdogso
Old May 23, 2007, 10:02 AM   #7
Mak308

Will in that case it is the sender then tell him to show you a copy of some documents or something showing that he sent it . You are an officer you know the law in this case you should go small claims court , it will scare the $!*@* out of him.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
His honesty is not at question.
Very good. I think it's time you turned the heat up on the seller. As Mak308 said, he needs to send you some proof that the mags were actually shipped.

You also need to release the username here so others can be made aware. I'll leave that step up to you.

I know for a fact that the seller is logged in to TFL as I type this. He has some explaining to do.
Old May 23, 2007, 07:55 PM   #9
NCFRANK

Lost mag's

To my defense I have contacted usps about this issue.... the following is the response I received today it also includes the message I sent to them:
Thank you for contacting us requesting more information regarding your mail item.

I apologize, without a tracking or confirmation number I cannot provide any specific information regarding your mail item.

We will document this issue if your item has not been received within 14 Postal business days from the date of mailing. However, I need some additional information so this can be sent to the correct office and you can be contacted. Please reply to this email with the following information:

- Your home telephone number
- Full name of the recipient
- Address of the recipient
- Class of mail (Express Mail®, First Class Mail®, international, military, Periodicals, Priority Mail®, Bulk Mail, Parcel Post®, Media Mail®, or none)
- Services added (Certified MailT, Registered MailT Return Receipt, Merchandise, Insured, C.O.D., Signature ConfirmationT, and/or Delivery ConfirmationT)
- Label number
- Location the mail item was sent from (sender's residence, other residence / business, Post OfficeT ZIP CodeT, Collection Box®, or unknown)
- Time and date the mail item was sent
- Contents of the mail item and value
- Whether you would like to receive a call regarding this issue (There is no guarantee that further information can be provided via email.)
- If you suspect foul play:
- Do you know who was involved?
- Do you know the name(s) of whom you suspect?
- Was it a Postal employee?
- Do you have a description?

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service®.

Regards,

Amber S

Customer (FRANK xxxxxxx) - 05/21/2007 11:13 AM
Can I find out what happened to a package I shipped and I have lost the receipt? It was priority mail sent out of Beaufort NC Front St office 28516. It was mailed this past April and never arrived at its destination...

This all came down this weekend and I was surprised when I got the email about the mags not arriving. I sent them over a month ago and I just got the email from the buyer a few days ago. I have had only two or three days to deal with the post office and I will be going back tomorrow to get some definitive answers as to where the package is. Granted I misplaced the postal receipt but I can't help that, I assumed that the mags got to the destination requested since I had not heard of any problem from the buyer.
I am an honest person and have no intention of ripping anyone off nor would I expect to be ripped off by anyone - this forum seems to be a safe place to buy and sell but being at the mercy of the USPS is another issue. I will do everything to resolve this problem and I would hope all the members here would do the same.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:46 AM   #10
lawdogso

This folks is why I did not post a name. Frank, I am glad to see your making an effort. I felt like I was getting the blow off, but it seems your on the ball. According to your email you mailed the mags on the 18th of April- if that helps.
Let me know if I can help from this end.
lawdogso
Old May 24, 2007, 11:51 AM   #11
Eghad

delivery notification/ signature confirmation and flat rate priority mail cost you a little extra but save you some headaches.

NRA Life Member
Old January 2, 2008, 09:52 AM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Updated: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=274299