The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 14, 2014, 03:15 PM   #26
RX-79G

It looks nicer and can be touched up or redone easily? And it doesn't chip or flake. And the SAR guns are available in stainless.

I understand that coated guns are all the rage right now, but they make firearms look like craft projects.

My old HK rifle is really nicely coated over the parkerizing, but even the FN that I had looked so gooey I couldn't stand it.
Old July 14, 2014, 03:47 PM   #27
tahunua001

I won't lie, I also dislike the look of paint, but if it keeps it from rusitng then it's doing it's job... I for one don't need OD, DE, or camo dipping, I just need a gun.
Old July 14, 2014, 04:03 PM   #28
RX-79G

I would suggest starting by adding up the total cost of getting the gun, enough mags, holster, transfer + background check fees, tax, shipping, etc. Then go on Armslist or the equivalent and see what you could buy locally on the used market with none of the add-ons and more readily available accessories.

A $400 used Glock will never lose value. Even a $319 Canik, that you paid $400 total, will.
Old July 14, 2014, 04:05 PM   #29
Fishbed77

Quote:
walther lists their P99 DA pull as 11 pounds, not 8.
This is a typo on the Walterarms.com website (Walther America's website).

Walther's German website lists the correct weight of 4000 grams (~8.8 lbs) for the double action trigger pull (and 2000 grams or ~4.4 lbs for the single action pull):

http://www.carl-walther.de/cw.php?la...22&product=815

I just put a digital trigger scale on my P99AS and the double-action trigger pull averaged just under 8.4 lbs. The single-action pull averages right at 4.5 lbs.

Last edited by Fishbed77; July 15, 2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:16 PM   #30
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
link is broken.
I sincerely apologize then. I think I fixed it.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:44 PM   #31
tahunua001

works now.
Old July 14, 2014, 07:07 PM   #32
TunnelRat

Quote:
Walther's German website lists the correct weight of 4000 grams
Why not just say 4 kg? Crazy Germans.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 14, 2014, 07:10 PM   #33
TunnelRat

I'm curious if the slide is treated. Kydex will definitely wear the slide where you show in the video. I am not overly concerned if the finish is durable is there' some kind of treatment in addition to resist rust.
Old July 14, 2014, 07:13 PM   #34
tahunua001

cold bluing paste.
Old July 14, 2014, 07:15 PM   #35
TunnelRat

Quote:
cold bluing paste.
Yes. While we're at it you could just paint with Krylon I imagine.

My questions still remains.
Old July 14, 2014, 07:16 PM   #36
tahunua001

sorry, I thought you were talking about touching it up after it wears... my bad.
Old July 14, 2014, 07:49 PM   #37
mlk18

Couple things:

IIRC Canik uses Cerakote and is the only certified refinisher in that part of the world. Cerakote is very high quality and should stand the test if time.

Second the TP9 does not use "proprietary mags". They use the same mags as the Walther PPQ M2. Which is a huge plus for those of us who own one. $23 MecGar TP9 mags are cheaper than $40 Walther mags.

I do not own a TP9, but I have handled and fired one. Very impressive for the point.
Old July 14, 2014, 07:54 PM   #38
TunnelRat

Quote:
sorry, I thought you were talking about touching it up after it wears... my bad.
No I've used cold blue before myself. My question though is if that finish we see wearing off is just a surface treatment and there is another treatment underneath, or if that's the only finish it has.
Old July 15, 2014, 09:14 AM   #39
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk18
Second the TP9 does not use "proprietary mags". They use the same mags as the Walther PPQ M2. Which is a huge plus for those of us who own one.
Can anyone else verify this? It seems to contradict everything I've read elsewhere on the 'Net so far.

If it's true, then I stand corrected.

[UPDATE: The following Walther Forum link indicates that TP-9 mags will fit in a PPQ M2, although they're 18rd rather than 15rd, so they project further from the grip than factory Walther mags do. That said, I haven't found anything confirming that the reverse also works, i.e. Walther mags in a TP-9.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...ve-18-rds.html

The Walther 15rd plastic mag base is visibly much thinner than the TP-9 18rd base, which could conflict (or at least look goofy) in conjunction with the projecting "tail" on the TP-9's grip, but I surmise that any interference could be remedied by judiciously trimming or filing the plastic.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk18
...Canik uses Cerakote and is the only certified refinisher in that part of the world. Cerakote is very high quality and should stand the test if time.
On the topic of the tan/FDE finish... On the Canik55 pistols I examined, the scratches did not appear to go through the finish. They were, however, definitely unsightly. IOW my concern is mainly cosmetic; I have no idea how well the finish will withstand holster wear or rust compared to bluing, Melonite, etc., and I didn't necessarily intend to suggest it was inferior in this regard.

Last edited by carguychris; July 16, 2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Update, quote added, Walther round count corrected
Old July 15, 2014, 12:24 PM   #40
tahunua001

just from what I've been able to find, Canik 18 rounders cost $22-ish online, Walther 10 and 15 round mags cost about $37-ish...
if the caniks are made by mec gar then I'd just as soon buy those as I would try to get walthers to work... then again if you already owned a wlather the interchangeability would be nice.
Old July 15, 2014, 12:49 PM   #41
RX-79G

Given that enormous base plate, I can't see using that mag if it doesn't fit flush to the magwell.
Old July 15, 2014, 02:19 PM   #42
Fishbed77

Quote:
Walther 10 and 15 round mags cost about $37-ish...
Nope.

Midway has OEM P99/MR9 mags for $29 right now, but I've seen them as low as $22.50 online.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/128...nd-steel-black
Old July 16, 2014, 08:43 AM   #43
Katsumi Liquer

Here's a short review I did on the TP9 on a local (to me) gun forum.
Old July 16, 2014, 10:33 AM   #44
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77
Midway has OEM P99/MR9 mags for $29 right now, but I've seen them as low as $22.50 online.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/128...nd-steel-black
Fishbed, those are paddle-release mags. They don't interchange with button-release PPQ M2 mags, which are $41 as I write this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/477...ProductFinding

Walther has a remarkably helpful picture on Page 15 of the PPQ M2 manual to illustrate why the paddle mags don't work:

http://cdn1.waltherarms.com/wp-conte...Series-USA.pdf

Folks on the Walther forum have modified paddle mags to fit button pistols, but it's been described as quite difficult and not worth the effort, because the steel is reportedly remarkably hard and thus very difficult to cut cleanly with hand tools.

This explains why these folks are very excited to find a cheap substitute for M2 mags.
Old July 16, 2014, 10:19 PM   #45
Fishbed77

Quote:
Fishbed, those are paddle-release mags. They don't interchange with button-release PPQ M2 mags, which are $41 as I write this:
I'm well aware of that.

We were discussing the merits of the P99 (which uses a paddle release) versus the TP-9 copy (which is much closer in operation to the P99 than the PPQ).

Quote:
They don't interchange with button-release PPQ M2 mags, which are $41 as I write this:
Which is a major reason I have ZERO interest in the PPQ M2. Another reason is that it is simply inferior to the paddle-release equipped P99 and PPQ M1.

Last edited by Fishbed77; July 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old July 17, 2014, 12:46 AM   #46
DA/SA Fan

Regarding the Cerakote finish. I am/was a traditionalist. I always thought a gun had to have a really great blued finish or be stainless. I ended up with a TriStar/Canik55 T-120 with the silver Cerakote. I thought it would just be a compromise that I had to live with, but it has grown on me. It is actually supposed to be more durable, by far, than blued or parkerized finishes. About 1000 rounds through it and so far the Cerakote still looks new. No chips or wear marks yet.
Old July 17, 2014, 08:58 AM   #47
Mrgunsngear

Glad to hear it's holding up
Old July 17, 2014, 12:27 PM   #48
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris
Fishbed, those are paddle-release mags. They don't interchange with button-release PPQ M2 mags, which are $41 as I write this...
Quote:
I'm well aware of that... We were discussing the merits of the P99 (which uses a paddle release) versus the TP-9 copy (which is much closer in operation to the P99 than the PPQ).
My apologies- in 20/20 hindsight, that post came off sounding harsher than I intended. No hard feelings.

My main point is that paddle-release (P99, SW99, PPQ M1, and MR Eagle) and button-release (PPQ M2, TP-9) mags don't interchange with one another and are not readily convertible. This particular fact wasn't brought up previously in this thread, although it's been repeated ad nauseam in past threads, albeit without the (my?) knowledge that TP-9 mags were usable in an M2.

FWIW I don't think I'd want to use the TP-9 "Big Butt" 18-rounders in a PPQ M2, despite the extra 3rds. They're bulky, look dumb, and are a (admittedly mild) detriment to CCW. YMMV.
Quote:
[The button-release mags are] a major reason I have ZERO interest in the PPQ M2. Another reason is that it is simply inferior to the paddle-release equipped P99 and PPQ M1.
Some people ardently hate the paddles. I'm on the fence. To each his own.

However- despite the ability to use TP-9 mags in a M2- IMHO it's beyond dispute that paddle-release mags ARE substantially cheaper AND easier to find than button-release mags. Notably, the number of used button-release mags in circulation is effectively near zero. In addition to inexpensive new MR Eagle mags, there are used LE surplus SW99 mags floating around on the gun-show circuit.