The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2009, 01:18 AM   #1
HAMMER1DOWN

Brown Bear powder???

hi every one, I recently tore apart a bunch of that cheap Brown Bear 55gr FMJ bullets and loaded them with my own powder and v-max bullet,
Now i was wondering about what kind of powder is in those bullets, i have over 200 rounds worth i an old metal 1 pound powder can. i was thinking about loading up the fmj's just to plink but with a more accurate load.
Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Bones
Old January 25, 2009, 01:37 AM   #2
Don H

Russian powder.
Old January 25, 2009, 01:39 PM   #3
HAMMER1DOWN

I it's russian i just need to know what its simmilar to in burn rate, so that i can use it to load some bullets for plinking with it
Old January 25, 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

That won't be listed anywhere, since it's a non-canister powder and won't be the same from one lot to the next. I recommend you weigh the total quantity and divide by 200 to find the average charge weight. Weigh the bullets to get their average weight. Load some of the most average weight bullets up in brass and with primers that you find listed in a load manual that includes a 55 grain FMJ bullet fired from the same length barrel. Knock the Russian load down 10% and work up toward the original charge with the new case and primer, watching for pressure signs, but measuring velocity all along the way. Finally, look through the manual you got the case and primer combination from for 55 grain FMJ's, and see what powders with similar charge weights get similar performance to that you measured. That will give you a rough idea of the burn rate and energy content of the unknown powder. It will likely fall between a couple of listings somewhere.

Or, you could kiss that half pound of unknown powder goodbye, using it instead for lawn or garden fertilizer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 25, 2009, 03:52 PM   #5
OldCorp

I recall an article years ago where the author reported tongue-in-cheek that he believed Russian ammomakers used ground-up match heads for powder.

Most Russian stuff, especially shotshells when fired have a weird smell. I had some .223 some years back that when fired smelled EXACTLY like the smell you get when a dentist is drilling or grinding teeth.
Old January 25, 2009, 04:04 PM   #6
B. Lahey

I don't know what it is, but it smells bad. Brown Bear must use powder made from the hair on a bear's rear.

I wouldn't even consider using that stuff in an American rifle. Works fine for AKs, questionable for everything else. If the laws in your area allow it maybe you could make firecrackers with it.
Old January 25, 2009, 05:07 PM   #7
45Marlin carbine

that stuff would make apoor firecracker - they are loaded with fine ground black powder.
Old January 25, 2009, 05:25 PM   #8
B. Lahey

Yeah, I suppose anything sturdy enough to contain the pressure enough to get a satisfying bang would create fragments.

Guess it's lawn food then.