The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 29, 2004, 09:41 AM   #1
gkbikers

Firestar - need suggestion for a lost part

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I find myself (embarassingly) in need of your assistance.

I had disassembled my Firestar M40 (.40 S&W) and removed the grip panels. The thumb safety can then swing down toward the bottom of the frame. When this happens, the small "B-B" that is spring-loaded under the safety is released (sometimes flying through the air). This small metal ball (much smaller than an actual B-B) is used to click into two detents in the thumb safety, allowing the safety to operate.

When I was re-assembling the gun this morning, the "B-B" did go flying through the air and is now lost. I need to replace it. Star and its importer, Interarms, are now out of business. Any ideas or suggestions on finding a replacement?

Many thanks . . .

Gary
Old December 29, 2004, 12:06 PM   #2
MatoTanika

Hi Gary
I also have a Firestar and I bought spare parts when I bought the gun due to Interarms going out of business. I found a guy who had bought all the spare parts from Interarms. I am not at home now and will not be until Thursday night or Friday morning. When I get there I will get his name and phone # and post it for you.

Lee.................
Old December 29, 2004, 07:28 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Ball bearing perhaps? Betcha if you can find the diameter you can buy a replacement bearing somewhere. It's got to be pretty standard.
Old December 29, 2004, 11:10 PM   #4
gkbikers

Thanks, Lee. I'll be looking for your info.

4V50 Gary, I agree. Only thing is, I don't know what size ball bearing! It's much smaller than a B-B, though. Kind'a like those little pellets one sees in cheap little kids' games, where you try to get all the balls into little holes.

Oh well. I decided that, since I had disabled my Firestar, I needed something to fill in. So, I took my Christmas money and purchased a .45 Springfield Armory Champion, G.I. model; can't wait to try it out!
Old December 29, 2004, 11:18 PM   #5
joab

Go to a gunshop with a smith , tell him what you did, tell him what you have and what you need. Let him snicker for a second or two ( they always do to me).
He'll probably have the correct sized ball bearing in his parts kit.
Old January 10, 2005, 03:52 PM   #6
MatoTanika

Gary
I apologize for being so long getting back to you. I searched all over for the invoice I had from getting my spare parts. Can't find it anywhere - sorry. I did notice some where that Star parts are available from Gun Parts Corp - used to be Numerich - I believe they have a web site but I don't have the address. If I come across the invoice I will let you know.

Lee.................
Old January 10, 2005, 06:28 PM   #7
cntryboy1289

e-GunParts.com

that is the web page for Numrich. They have a .380 pistol listed, not sure if they have the .40 cal parts or not. There number is 1-866-686-7424. Hope this helps.
Old January 10, 2005, 06:45 PM   #8
gkbikers

Lee, thanks for checking. I did get if fixed though.

I took joab's advice and dropped by Tucker Gun in Lawrenceville, GA. Ken fixed me right up. No charge.

Tucker Gun, they are good folks.

Gary

PS

Now, I have this replacement gun that I bought! (Springfield .45 Champion GI) Oh gee, guess I'll just keep it!
Old January 12, 2005, 11:54 AM   #9
MatoTanika

Gary
Glad you did get it fixed. I got to thinking on the way home yesterday about some reorganizing I had done and checked one last box - found the invoice where it did not belong. The guy I got parts from is M & M Gunsmithing 204 S Union St Alexandria Va 703 739 2150.

He was real good to deal with. I bought the stuff more likly to break like slide release lever, firing pin etc.

Lee.................