The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 1, 2014, 10:58 AM   #1
H.W. French

Cimarron sez shop wear...

What say you?

After a five month boat ride from Italy my 1873 finally arrived!
Got it home and went to break it down for cleaning and noticed these gems.

Contacted Cimarron and they say it is either shopwear (on a special order?) or damage from shipping. There is no noticeable damage to the gun box itself.
They also say all their barrel stamps look that way (incomplete?) I guess I should have looked it over better at the shop.
I've lost count the number of Cimmy's that have passed through my hands. This is the first time I've had to contact their Customer Service.
If anyone has Mike Harvey's email I'd like to include him on any future correspondence.
Old July 1, 2014, 11:37 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Was the barrel removed? Looks like someone was careless with the action wrench.

If it's new, then the assemblers were a little less than careful in assembling it. Those are major dents that affect aesthetics but not the function.
Old July 1, 2014, 12:14 PM   #3
HiBC

That dink in the receiver:If the color case hardening is indeed case hardening,I doubt that occurred after hardening.
Old July 1, 2014, 01:07 PM   #4
barnowl12

Cimarron CS

I have NEVER had a good experience with Cimarrons' customer service folk. Same can be said for their outlet in Fredricksburg, Tx , Cactus Jacks. Not pleasant folks to deal with. MHO
Old July 1, 2014, 01:10 PM   #5
H.W. French

Bummer

The rifle was special ordered. It never saw the shop rack. The ding in the front sits lower than the unaffected forearm. I think it was done prior to final assembly. Cimarron is insistent that the rifle would not have left TX in that condition. They want to inspect the shipping carton but its been three weeks. I doubt my LGS still has it. There was a delay from Cimarron on account of End of Trail.
I know these are simply cosmetic, but I would not expect to find these blems on a $1200.00 rifle. I've received blemished firearms from Ruger and even a poorly finished Rodeo from USFA (gone but not forgotten). Both of them had UPS out the next day with a call tag. No questions asked.
Old July 1, 2014, 04:37 PM   #6
maillemaker

I don't know what "shop wear" is.

All I know is if I bought a new firearm and it looked like that I would be very annoyed.

I would have kept all original packaging.

Steve
Old July 1, 2014, 04:48 PM   #7
chaz12

I know when you buy a special (and expensive) gun that you want it to be perfect and its very annoying when it isn't.

I will say though that objectively, the two dings are pretty small given that your pictures are close-up. You may find that you can live with them if there's no help forthcoming from Cimarron. Kind of like the first scratch on a new car...after a while, you inevitably get a few more scratches anyway.

The incomplete stampings don't really bother me that much. I don't ever look at them anyway.

Chaz
Old July 1, 2014, 04:55 PM   #8
fdf

"They also say all their barrel stamps look that way (incomplete?) I guess I should have looked it over better at the shop. "

There is only one person to blame is there not?

In all honesty, a rifle comes into Texas to Cimarron, the packaging is sealed on the box and they ship it out for sale. How are they supposed to know about a nick,, you missed it on inspection by your own looking.

Seems simple to me.

Last edited by fdf; July 1, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old July 1, 2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
If the color case hardening is indeed case hardening
Its not.
Old July 2, 2014, 11:20 AM   #10
H.W. French

I can concur that ultimately I should have inspected the arm at the time of sale.
Things happen. Stuff gets dinged, bent and broken then repaired.
I can appreciate honest usewear, but I don't by my jeans with holes already in them. Guess I should be happy I wasn't charged for the "old west" finish option.
What bothers me is the complete brush off I've been given by Cimarron.
I shoot Cimarrons exclusively and am now wondering what their response will be should I have any mechanical issues down the road.
I have never received this type of customer service from any other manufacturer/importer.
In the end it's still an Uberti but at this point I'm thinking maybe I should consider another importer.
Old July 2, 2014, 01:08 PM   #11
maillemaker

The thing that is curious about one of those dents is that it looks like the color fake case hardening finish was not harmed. Makes me wonder if it was dented before it was finished?

That would be particularly poor.

Steve
Old July 2, 2014, 02:05 PM   #12
fdf

I buy at Texas Jack's because I can make a road trip to see and inspect what I am buying. When you are nose to nose, it's hard to be rude to the customer.

If I am forced to the internet to buy, it is only Taylor's. I bought a Remington 1858 from the Possible Shop and could not get the cylinder back into the frame. My gunsmith could not get the cylinder into the frame nor his 3 other gunsmiths. Possible Shop said to call Taylor's as they had drop shipped it to me.

Called Taylor's and was put on the phone with the gunsmith and he said he knew what the problem was and how to fix it. Told him nope, it's a new gun and I want it fixed. He said to ship it and he would fix it the day it was put on his bench. Pistol had a trigger job and action job when it was returned, for no charge. It was shipped on a Monday to them and was back the following Monday.

My new pistols get the wife treatment, if they are functionally okay by me, they go to her for inspection, she is tougher than me.

Last edited by fdf; July 2, 2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old July 2, 2014, 03:12 PM   #13
aarondhgraham

If my one experience with them was typical,,,

Quote:
I shoot Cimarrons exclusively and am now wondering what their response will be should I have any mechanical issues down the road.
If my one experience with them was typical,,,
That's what you will get every time.

Mine was similar,,,
I ordered a new revolver,,,
It had a big scratch on the frame.

Their response was:
  • Not our fault.
  • No, we won't replace it.
  • If you want to send it to Italy you are on your own.

Their customer service is laughable.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; July 2, 2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old July 2, 2014, 04:25 PM   #14
fdf

Sounds like Uberti is becoming like Lyman.

My vote is with Taylor's if you cannot buy in person.

Understand that Cabelas is not honoring any Pietta warranty now.
Old July 2, 2014, 04:30 PM   #15
Skirmisher

+++ for Taylor's. They would never let anything like that out the store.
Old July 3, 2014, 01:40 AM   #16
salvadore

I found Cimarron customer service pretty much sucks.
Old July 3, 2014, 04:06 AM   #17
fdf

After visiting Cimarron numerous time this is my take on the place.

The physical store is more setup for clothing sales and related items, more square feet of floor space devoted to clothing than guns. Internet sales do not know.

More devoted to cowboy action shooting than B/P target shooters.

Very little in B/P shooting supplies.

You can go there and look around and the wife can have a good time looking at clothing and stuff.

If I can make a road trip, it is Cimarron. Call before you make the road trip, at times the inventory is very limited depending on the time of year.

If I have to order, it's going to be Taylor's.

I try not to order guns but at times a person has to.
Old July 3, 2014, 07:27 AM   #18
eastbank

i try to buy all my firearms in person with a inspection, but there are times when this can not be done and then you are at the mercy of the seller/shipper. i have been lucky as i have only had a few with small cosmedtic problems that i just lived with. with expensive firearms a personal inspection is in order for me. eastbank.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:24 AM   #19
H.W. French

Thanks for all the replies. My LGS has "joined the cause". I'll let you know how it plays out.
Old July 3, 2014, 12:11 PM   #20
maillemaker

If the bluing is over the top of the ding, that's pretty damning of Cimmaron, in my book.

Steve
Old July 3, 2014, 04:40 PM   #21
DoubleDeuce 1

Have you fired the piece yet? Cosmetic and all that, but still... not for the price you paid. The dings and such should be left for you to do. Maybe they will come around and do the right thing for you.
Old July 3, 2014, 05:04 PM   #22
fdf

"If the bluing is over the top of the ding, that's pretty damning of Cimmaron, in my book"

No, Cimmaron should not be damned, they only imported the pistol from Uberti. Fault lies at the factory.

Gotta, put the blame on the manufacturer, not the importer.
Old July 3, 2014, 05:10 PM   #23
Hawg

Quote:
No, Cimmaron should not be damned, they only imported the pistol from Uberti.
Funny looking pistol. Looks more like a 73 Winchester.
Old July 3, 2014, 05:28 PM   #24
fdf

Correct you are.
Old July 3, 2014, 06:03 PM   #25
James K
Member In Memoriam

It looks like some soccer fan dropped the white receiver and kicked it in for a goal. The one ding appears to be in a place where it could not be with the fore-end assembled, and the other was made before case coloring. Poor QC at the factory.

Jim