The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Gunplummer

Federal lead slugs

I have not bought slugs for my smooth bore 12 gauge in a long time. Years back I found Federal Classic 2 3/4 inch 1 oz slugs to shoot really well. Naturally I bought a whole bunch of them on sale. Now I am running low. I like to shoot about 2 boxes (5 round box) before hunting season and average 2-3 shots a season. I started looking at Cabela's adds and don't see them anymore. Anybody try those 'True Ball" slugs that Federal is advertising?
Old December 19, 2011, 10:37 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I find the classic (EL CHEAPO) slugs from federal and winchester to be just fine... Rem is probably as good but I feel their low shelf ammo is very dirty shooting and always a few pennies more per round than the other 2.

I never tried tru-ball but if it is in fact a ball, I wouldn't even expect satisfactory results... balls do not fly true compared to a nose heavy slug.

Brent
Old December 19, 2011, 10:37 PM   #3
shortwave

Haven't tried the "True Ball" but did switch to the Brenneke KO's from the Remington Sluggers. The pattern out further tightened up considerably.
Old December 19, 2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Nnobby45

I've tried the Tru Ball and they cut my group size in half with my Scattergun Tech 870, with good iron sights. I prefer the reduced recoil version.
Old December 20, 2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Gunplummer

Did you use those true ball slugs on deer? Is the reduced recoil slug loaded down? I really don't want anything hot where I hunt. I may try some. I don't even know if they make classics anymore unless the box looks different.
Old December 20, 2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Rugerismisticness

Trueball is very good. It is a ball that allows slug to spin more freely, I find they group very well. I also like those federal classic slugs, the 3" versions in 20ga works well. For 12ga, use the bulk pack winchester slugs for practice, they shoot almost as well as the federals. For hunting ill either use the truball or a 3" win load that is 1oz at 1800fps.

I also bought a rifled diffusion choke, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old December 20, 2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Gunplummer

Guess I have to buy some different brands after Christmas and experiment if I can't find the old classics.
Old December 20, 2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Nnobby45

Quote:
Did you use those true ball slugs on deer? Is the reduced recoil slug loaded down? I really don't want anything hot where I hunt. I may try some. I don't even know if they make classics anymore unless the box looks different.
Never used them for hunting, so far. I got 'em from Cabela's and I believe you can get reduced or standard velocity in the TruBall.

Yes, "reduced" means lower pressure/velocity, if that's what you mean by loaded down.

They aren't as reduced as the Fed. Tac. low recoil slugs that I have. Personally, 1200fps on deer would be fine for me---don't think I need 1500 fps.--- I'd save that for hogs.
Old December 21, 2011, 12:14 AM   #9
KnightofCydonia

Federal Managed Recoil 1oz Tru-Ball Slug at <20 yards will give you this:

Old December 21, 2011, 12:46 AM   #10
Carne Frio

I prefer the Brenneke. Here are some prices for the TRUBALL.

http://ammoseek.com/?gun=shotgun&cal...all&sortby=cpr
Old December 21, 2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Gunplummer

True Ball

Thanks. I see they are really cheap (At least I think so) and the loaded down slugs are the same or close to the HV slugs. I will have to get some and see how they shoot in my gun. I tried Winchester, Remington, Federal years back and Federal shot the best.
Old December 21, 2011, 09:06 AM   #12
redstategunnut

Can't speak to the Truball, but I can tell you that my experience with the reduced recoil is that they should have been called "reduced accuracy."
Old December 21, 2011, 09:06 AM   #13
chewie146

The Tru-Ball slugs aren't a pumpkin ball like the old oversized buckshot slugs. It's a foster-style slug with a plastic ball filling the rear cavity to prevent any odd deformation when you fire. It falls away and the slug flies just like a foster slug. There's no spinning with those. It's a shuttlecock. They work great, but I find the Winchesters from Wally World to group just about as well, and they're cheap cheap cheap.
Old December 21, 2011, 12:43 PM   #14
Gunplummer

I had other issues with Winchester and Remington. Some of them used to stick and the auto-ejector would not kick the shell out. My gun was made in the 30's and maybe the chamber is a little short. Does not matter, Federal shot better anyway.
Old December 21, 2011, 02:19 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

AFAIK, Federal still has a cheap slug... I do not know if they are still called "Classic" or if they dropped that when "New and Improved" "Tactical" "Assault" "Zombie Hog" "Killa" slugs became more in vogue...

Some of these younger buyers think "Super X" means badazz and "Express" means they are a hot load...

Little do they know, the super x is what daddy bought a box of in 1974 or so and I finished off in the late 80's...

Try a DEEP cleaning on your chamber area... it could have debris and even a light rust ring from that debris in the north end of your chamber from firing the shorter rounds earlier in the gun's life span...

Brent
Old December 21, 2011, 02:36 PM   #16
rantingredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
I never tried tru-ball but if it is in fact a ball, I wouldn't even expect satisfactory results... balls do not fly true compared to a nose heavy slug.
The ball is actually part of the wad and theoretically centers the slug in the bore for better accuracy. They are accurate, but really no more than the old Federal grey box classic slugs.

Federal Tru-ball and Brenneke KO are both very economical choices that shoot well. I've never shot a deer with a Federal Tru-ball, but the Brenneke's work VERY well. I'd imagine the Federal's do too. The classics did and other than the wad I think it's the same slug design.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 23, 2011, 10:34 PM   #17
Gunplummer

Lots of good info, guess I have to go to the range after the late deer season.