The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 1999, 03:38 AM   #1
Beretta Boy

I'm planning on taking up deer hunting soon, and I was wondering what sort of reccomendations you all might have for 30-06's... hoping to not spend much more than 500 dollars... thanks in advance!

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?
Old November 11, 1999, 10:22 AM   #2
k in AR

A good NEW 30-06 can be had as cheep as $360 (Like a Vanguard) up to whatever. Most brand names will give you fairly good to great accuracy with Premium ammo. New or used , buy a gun that Fits you.

I would really be more concerned about a quality scope. Personally I like Leupold, but Swift is also proving to be good & has a lifetime "direct exchange" warranty, and won't bust your budget.

As an example: Last year I picked up a like new - in box, Winchester FeatherWeight for $300 with scope mounts & topped it with a Leupold 3x9 VXII at $209.00 (plus tax, of course). This gun shoots about 1.25 to 1.75 inch group using 165gr GameKing bullets. It has become my favorite hunting rifles. k
Old November 11, 1999, 01:46 PM   #3
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Good cheap options:

1. Buy a savage model 110/116, get steel rings and mounts and loc-tite them like crazy. Put a tasco 3x9 varible scope on it. You will end up spending under $500.

2. Buy a Savage "package gun" at walmart Scope, rings included (i think it ships with a simmons scope) Should cost less than $450

3. Buy a remmington model seven carbine, (short barrel blued, black composite stock) it has really nice iron sights and a more "robust feel" to it than the savage, and it has sling swivels included. (less than $450)

Shoot federal premium ammunition.

Hope it helps,

Dr.Rob

Old November 11, 1999, 01:53 PM   #4
Will Beararms

Remington does not make the Model Seven in 30-06. The highest caliber is .308. If you really want to save money and not go over $350.00 total, get New England Arms Single Shot Handi Rifle in 30-06 with a Tasco Scope. They kick like a mule but they are tack drivers and usually sell for around $200.00. Any place can order one for you. I have never owned one but I know of many who have with no complaints.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old November 11, 1999, 05:12 PM   #5
Long Path

I just now (like 35 min. ago) handled one of the New England Arms Handi-Rifles, and they're really neat! They also will factory-install a new barrel for you for about $100!

They come with sights, and are tapped for scope mounts. One of the one I looked at had a Picitinny Rail on it, with open sights. They guy at the shop did caution that they're tough to take apart and put back together, though; press pins instead of screws. If I was REALLY on a budget, I'd look into one of those, and take my savings to a really good scope to put on it. Butt cuff, of course, would be mandatory...

Winchester was offering a package rifle for awhile at the Wally World (ugh). $420 for an M-70 blued composite topped with a 3X9X28mm Simmons sccope.
Old November 11, 1999, 07:22 PM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I could SWEAR i saw a model 7 in 270 last year, it was definitely a long action rifle with a short (20 inch) barrel.

Is there a model 700 carbine????

Still, my personal preference is savage.

Dr.Rob
Old November 11, 1999, 08:53 PM   #7
Will Beararms

Dr. Rob:

I checked out the Remington web site and I noted that the standard Model 7's maximum chambering is .308. There are two versions from the custom shop the Model 7 KS and MS that come in other calibers like the 35 Rem. but no .270 or .30-06. Remington does make a Model 700 Mountain Rifle in .270 or .30-06 that has a 20" barrel. You may have seen something done by a custom shop or at one time maybye the old Model 7 was in longer action offerings. That having been said, the Model Seven is a sweet rifle.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old November 11, 1999, 09:21 PM   #8
Beretta Boy

Dr. Rob...
I have seen that Savage at Wal-Mart.. that looks like an awesome gun, but I had never heard of Savage, and didn't know if they were quality weapons or not. Beautiful gun, Stainless Steel, black synthetic stock... I will check it out tonight, and if I like the feel of it, that will definitely be my pick. Thanks for the info!

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?
Old November 12, 1999, 02:08 AM   #9
The Mohican Sneak

What about the Remington 700 ADL?

I can get the ADL (synthetic) chambered in 30-06 for $320 brand new. Toss a Leupold Vari-X II on it for $210, and there ya go. Of course you'll have to buy the rings and base, but all in all, you can have all the gun you could ever want for under $600.

If $500 is tops, go with the ADL in 30-06 and top it with a Tasco World Class in 3x9x50mm (I like the bigger objectives).

Any bullet will work, but the Remington 165gr core-lokts work wonders on whitetails. The Winchester Supreme line has been pretty impressive also. Best thing to do is, but a couple different boxes and see which one groups best in your rifle.

Buying a gun is fun, best of luck in whatever you choose.

>>>>>>>>------------TMS---------------->>>
Old November 13, 1999, 08:12 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Just to start a whole new argument, I prefer the 150-grain bullets to the 165-grain bullets. My simple-minded reasoning is 1. There is just enough less recoil that the shooting is more comfortable. 2. Since 1950, my deer keep falling down, dead.

Were I hunting where deer field-dress notably above 150 pounds, I'd go the heavier bullets. If you don't handload, I'll agree on the Federal ammo.

, Art
Old November 15, 1999, 07:13 AM   #11
Beretta Boy

Wow, you are losing me in all this ammo talk, but I guess I will have to try both reccomendations as soon as I get the chance... Only problem is that I was mistaking about that Savage, it's awesome but it is chambered to 300 not 30-06... Salesman says it will have alot more kick (I have never shot over 30-06.. Is that overkill for just deer hunting? Help!

------------------
Old November 15, 1999, 11:01 AM   #12
Long Path

B.B.-- I own a .300 Win Mag, and it's my favorite rifle... BUT... The .30-06 is probably the single most well-rounded cartridge for any hunting you'd do in North America. I see that you're in California, so you might get the opportunity to hunt elk. Fine! The .30-06 with 180g bullets is one of the finer selections you could hope for. As Art Eatman points out, the 150g. bullets in the .30-06 will kill any deer that ever lived. Frankly, except for Alaskan moose, brown (Kodiak) bear, Olympic Penisula Elk, and polar bear, the .30-06 in certain loadings is over-powered for anything in North America, if we were really honest with ourselves. (This is NOT a bad thing... )

Military brass is still pretty plentiful if you reload, and there's much to be said for having a rifle in the single most popular big(medium)-game hunting caliber. Ammo is more plentiful than .300 Win Mag, there are MANY more selections for loads, and it is cheaper. Are there positives to getting a .300 Win Mag? Sure. The same bullet flies about 250fps faster, and thus shoots flatter. But the cost is in greater recoil/noise, more expensive, bulkier ammo that is far more expensive to reload, and ammmo that's less likely to be on the shelf of the local hardware store or on the buttcuff of your neighbor's rifle, should you need to borrow some. All for a rifle that kills deer, hog, black bear, antelope, nor even elk no deader, if shot at reasonable ranges.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited November 15, 1999).]
Old November 15, 1999, 12:20 PM   #13
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I have owned 2 savage 30-06 rifles and I'll swear by them . My 110b shoots .75 inch groups and my 116 shoots .5 inch groups.

PS Your clerk at Wal-mart can order ANY caliber of savage you want, it might take a few weeks though.

The ONLY down fall of ANY new rifle I've handled in the HEAVY triggers you see coming from the factory (liability issues I'd guess) but really savage is a GREAT BUY for the money.

just my 2ยข

Dr.Rob
Old November 16, 1999, 06:55 PM   #14
Futo Inu

If you get a "package gun", last time I checked Wal-Mart had a scoped Rem 700 for $339 plus tax (synthetic/blue) in .270 or 30-06.
Old November 21, 1999, 09:39 PM   #15
Brian King

Beretta Boy,

I have a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 that shoots like a dream and I bought it new for just under $500. I handload my own rounds using 180gr. Hornady bullets and have been able to achieve exceptional accuracy.

Four days ago I used my Model 70 and one of those 180gr. bullets to take a nice 8 point at just under 300 yards.

There are plenty of good rifles out there for under $500. I also looked at a Weatherby Vanguard, as mentioned by "k in AR", which was priced under $400. It had a very good feel to it and I'm sure it is a fine rifle. Look at several different models and choose the one that feels right to you.

Good Huntin'!
Brian
Old November 21, 1999, 09:39 PM   #16
Beretta Boy

That's the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen the term "package guns" used... Is that a bad thing? good? neither?

------------------
Old November 22, 1999, 12:20 AM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Package Gun" means one which comes with scope and rings already mounted (usually) and a sling of the seller's choice. It can be a very good deal, "depending".

It depends on the quality of the scope, for the money, but there are fewer "junk" scopes around these days than, say, 20-30 years ago.

There are sleeker scope-mounts around, but the Weaver clones work.

Slings are a personal preference. In my opinion, wider and softer leather is better than nylon; leather won't slip off your shoulder as readily. "Wider" spreads the load if you're a walking hunter covering five to ten miles a day.

Hope this helps, Art