The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 14, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1
timpierce

Good Air Rifle

I need recommendations for a good air rifle, for target shooting, and occasional rabbet-squirrel-varmint. Torn between CO2, or spring, or air pump. What do you have and why do you like it? I would like to keep cost down to $350.00 or less.
Old January 14, 2010, 02:03 PM   #2
darkgael

Air

Quote:
a good air rifle, for target shooting, and occasional rabbet-squirrel-varmint. Torn between CO2, or spring, or air pump. What do you have and why do you like it? I
When you write "target", do you mean informal target shooting as opposed to match shooting?
Lots of shooters recommend the RWS line of break-barrel spring-piston air rifles. For $350, you should be able to get a good one.
The new PCP Discovery by Benjamin(a bit more at $369 with the pump) has gotten good reviews and can be adapted to CO2 which is a plus.
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/benjamin...ir-rifle.shtml
That is the one I'd buy if I were in the market. (I already own a PCP and don't need another.).
Pete
Old January 14, 2010, 02:11 PM   #3
oneounceload

I have a RWS 34 - .177 caliber - you can get them at Cabela's - excellent accuracy. Gamo is another one that comes to mind. You can go real cheap, as in Chicom cheap), or real high end, as in Olympic level. I found the 34 to be reasonably priced and accurate and powerful enough to get rid of the squirrels eating my solar heater tubing without disturbing the neighbors.
Old January 14, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
alfack

I have several, of all types.

I like the self-contained aspects of the "springers," but they can be hard to master for accuracy, with the funky way that they recoil.

I like the PCPs, because they don't recoil and are deadly accurate and powerful. Plus, a lot of models have silencers built into them, making them super quiet, as well. The downside is, if you get a powerful .22 model, you will only get about 30 shots before it is time to pump up again.
Old January 14, 2010, 04:40 PM   #5
James R. Burke

There are some great break open actions that will give you 900 to 1200 f.p.s depending on what you get. Whats nice about them no co2 to worry about which is o.k. if you have a special need for it. I like the RWS line they are really nice and dependable, at least the one I had. Needed to sell it for the bucks but done o.k. on it. They do cost alittle bit but there a nice air rifle. There are also some other real nice ones out there that cost less, and shoot great. I am not sure if they are all the same, but what i liked about mine was every shot the power was the same nothing was compressed till you pulled the trigger. I am sure you will get lots of input on some nice ones. Good luck, and have fun.
Old January 14, 2010, 04:45 PM   #6
eddy615

Whatever you do dont buy a gamo whisper its not quiet and doesnt have the power of my older gamo. But the gamo is a very powerful and accurate air rifle.
Old January 14, 2010, 04:55 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

I grew up with the RWS 34 line, very nice and powerful air rifle, and great with iron sights. I recently switched to a RWS 48 side lever, gives you more of the "real rifle" feel, and since the barrel stays put in relation to the scope I think they're more accurate in the long run.
Old January 14, 2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Ledbetter

RWS/Diana 350 Magnum in .22. No bunny is safe.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old January 14, 2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Drummer101

There are many good airguns for that price. I had a Talon SS CO2.

This site has lots of good info and reviews
http://www.pyramydair.com/

Personally I got annoyed with CO2 and would go for a single pump or spring, spring is much cheaper but air is generally more accurate.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:32 PM   #10
nefprotector

I have the Gamo Shadow 1000 .177 air rifle.Along with Benjamin Discovery Heavy Pellets. Hits hard, accurate. nothing that I have shot with it has walked or crawled away. I absolutely LOVE this gun. Actually feels like a rifle not a toy. I recommend Gamo.

Last edited by nefprotector; January 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:34 PM   #11
StainlessButcher

I actually prefer the pump action pellet guns like the Benjamin we all grew up with. My personal air rifle is a 60s or 70s vintage Sheridan Blue Streak (pre-benjamin buy out) in 5mm. Just between the .177 and the .22, it's really the best of both worlds. Good velocity, adequate knockdown power, rear sights adjustable for windage and elevation, and it's built like a brick. Over my life time, I've taken many squirells, rabbits, dove, quail, and varmints with one of these rifles, as well as out shot my buddies with all their fancy or more popular rifles. Honestly, if you can find one for under 300 bucks that was made in the 70s, you should jump on it. You won't be disappointed.

Butch.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:38 PM   #12
Drummer101

For hunting you generally want more than 12 ft/lb.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:32 AM   #13
smith357

I'm not a big fan of the PCP rifles, not that they are bad, it's just they need too much extra gear. I prefer the self contained aspect of the springers and pumpers. When I go camping the last thing I want to bring along is a scuba tank to fill my rifle. Also don't be fooled buy the 1200 fps stuff you see on the web sites and other literature. those numbers come from running very light projectiles to make the velocity numbers look better. Magnum airguns usually prefer heavier pellets which will make the true velocities more in the 900fps nieghborhood.

My "go to" airgun is an old Sheridan Silver Streak, I use it mostly for small game and pest control, though it's not the most accurate air gun made it is very powerful and lightweight. I have a very accurate magnum springer but it's heavy and after 20-30 rounds my arm is sore from cocking the darn thing.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:31 PM   #14
jlbpa

Beeman R1 .22 and nice scope. starlings, feral cats, and most other critters small in stature.

I also have a sheridan silver streak steroid .20 that's quite handy. It wears a williams peep sight. Not quite as good with the peep as I am with a scope so when accuracy counts I go for the R1.

Last edited by jlbpa; January 15, 2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: additional text
Old January 15, 2010, 11:19 PM   #15
GeauxTide

I've been using a Sheridan Blue Streak since they came out. The 20cal conical pellets penetrate 5/8" fencing at 50 feet. I've chrony'd them at 780fps.
Old January 16, 2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Skans

I have a Chinese made (Xisico) .22 air rifle. It is a side cocker patterend after the RWS 48 style gun. I actually did quite a bit of research before choosing this particular air rifle (springer).

Regardless of the fact that the XS B21/22 is about 1/3rd the cost of the RWS, there were several features of the B21 that I liked better than the RWS:

1. The B21 is made of almost entirely machined steel parts - excelent workmanship, but you do need to dissasemble the gun and clean out the metal filings before shooting it.

2. Here's the real kicker - the B21 trigger is all steel and adjustable and can be polished for a very smooth and crisp break. The RWS trigger is plastic, and I don't believe that its adjustable. You just have to see the B21 trigger assembly for yourself - I was very plesently surpised.

3. The B21 barrel is very solid and heavier than the one on the RWS - in fact, it looks more like a firearm barrel than an airgun barrel. This makes felt recoil very mild and also makes the rifle exceptionally accurate, even with the iron sights that come with the gun. But, with a scope, this gun will easily compete with even the higher end RWS guns.

4. It comes with an integral scope rail.

5. The real wood stock isn't bad for the price - nice looking and finish is accepable on the outside. If you remove the action from the stock, you will see that the inside of the stock is roughly finished - this part could use some improvement. I suspect a good bedding job couldn't hurt, although it is already an extremely accurate rifle.

6. If you buy the B21, and want an exceptional air rifle, you need to be prepared to do a few things. You will need to make a spring compressor (not difficult - there are instructions on how to do this) and completely dissasemble the gun. You will need to do a thorough cleaning of the chamber, bolt and all parts. You will need to remove the factory "gunk" lube and use a finer lube. You might want to lightly polish the trigger assembly parts to obtain a very smooth, crisp trigger break.

There is lots of information and spare seals/parts, available on the web for this particular gun. I've had mine for about 4 years now. After doing the recommended cleaining, the only thing that ever broke was the cocking connecting rod (connects the lever to the bolt) - some idiot who had no clue how to use the gun didn't depress the ratcheting release to close the bolt and thus forced it closed while it was locked open. The part is cheap and easy enough to order - but because I couldn't wait, I simply made the part from steel rod using a threading die I got from Ace hardware - worked perfectly - you'd never even know I made it myself.

I was acutally ready to spend the money on an RWS side cocker. But, when I found out that the trigger assembly in the chinese rifle was all steel and better, and that the barrel was also heavier and quite accurate, I went for the B21 thinking that at worst, I'd be out $120. I actually prefer the B21 to the RWS.

Last edited by Skans; January 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old January 16, 2010, 12:10 PM   #17
blkft1

I been using a Benjamin 392 with a peep [using Benji domes] as a de-squirreler quite successfully,I keep my shots within 40+- yrds.Head shots or chest cavity it will drop them humanely .It can go farther but I'll have to scope it due to my personal peepers having limitations.I've heard good things regarding the RWS 34,dont own one but have been interested it or the 48.
Old January 16, 2010, 12:31 PM   #18
MTT TL

My favorite air gun is the RWS 94. It is accurate to the top of metal fence post at 50 meters and powerful enough to drop a bunny easily at that range. Big bunnies (over 5-7 pounds) need a little more umph. It was also bargain priced. I think it was discontinued in favor of Chinese junk.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:03 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Any Spanish rifle over chinese...
I have used a few and loved my Gamo's... The daisy 1,000 was a liability waiting to happen... Safety not latching. barrel coming unlatched in the open position, shearing pellets in half luckily not getting my finger in the process... JUNK RIFLE!!!! Chinese of course...
Brent
Old January 16, 2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Alan Duke

I have a Gammo "Big Cat" and I have been very happy with it. Comes with a 3x9 scope too. If you are going to scope yours, I think there is a difference in airgun scopes vs. firearm scopes. I think it has to do with a difference in recoil. I may be wrong, but I'm sure there are others here more knowledgable on that than I am.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:37 PM   #21
Skans

I've seen a couple of guys bashing "chinese" rifles. I happen to have the XS B21/22. Have you shot and/or dissasembled one of these guns? Before you call them "junk" you might want to do a little research first. You might want to first explain how RWS plastic triggers are better than milled steel adjustable trigger they use in the B21, which is a chinese made gun.

FWIW, note that the Chinese made M14 forged receivers (once considered junk) are now rather desireable compared to the Springfield cast receivers. Also note that the polytech legend AK variant is considered a premium AK to just about all of them except Galil, Valmet and a few others milled receiver AK's. This isn't about being "politically correct" - just reasonably informed.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:19 PM   #22
StainlessButcher

Well, I'm not quite that old (the first blue streak was introduced several months after the first silver streak in 1949) but I've been using them a long time. I'm gonna say about 41 years. I've got an old Benjamin .22 rifle with the tootsie roll pump handle, as well as a benjamin .177 pump pistol with the tootsie roll pump handle. They all shoot well, but the sheridan by far has more punch, accuracy, and quality about it than any others I own.

"I've been using a Sheridan Blue Streak since they came out. The 20cal conical pellets penetrate 5/8" fencing at 50 feet. I've chrony'd them at 780fps."

Butch.