The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1
garryc

lead sled

do to a shoulder injury I was considering a lead sled for the heavy stuff. I was wondering if a rifle sighted on the lead sled tends to maintain its point of aim when shot off hand. Does it really soak up recoil?
Old November 15, 2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Lead Sled and recoil

Garryc--There was a discussion abt this @ my gun club just the other day. The consensus is that the Lead Sled really does a number on soaking up recoil. The more weight you load onto the Sled, the better. We just finished our annual Hunter Sight-In-Your-Deer-Rifle week; one service we offer is to have a club member who is an expert shooter do the actual sighting in, which means that these gentlemen spend days on end shooting everything that is brought in. They were the ones praising the Lead Sled.

Re your POA question, don't know for a fact. But I expect that the LS will get you to "closies," from which offhand POI/POA would be easy to adjust.

--Smokey Joe
Old November 19, 2005, 11:13 PM   #3
Alaskee

Shoulder saver

I'd seen the advertisements for the lead sled but didn't think I actually needed one for my puposes not to mention they aren't cheap.
Then I bought a Marlin 1895 in 450 Marlin caliber and began to load some 400 and 520 grain loads to Garrett Hammerhead velocity specs. I quickly realized that to maintain my physical integrity during these load development sessions, I needed to try something else.
During this time I attended a Friends of the NRA Banquet and they had a Caldwell Lead Sled as one of the items in their silent auction. My bid beat out the state Governors bid (lots of polititians at the dinner) and I ended up with the sled at about $40 under the retail price. I took that as a sign that I was supposed to have one.
This thing works miracles as far as recoil absorption goes.
I now use it to sight in all my rifles.
If the point of impact using it is different than shoulder firing it is negligable and shouldn't affect accuracy in a hunting situation. But I'd suggest each person using one shoot both ways just to be sure.