The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 14, 2024, 10:03 PM   #26
5whiskey

Ok... since I'm more of a collector mine will go as follows, all 4" barrels:

-S&W Post-war M&P, but pre-model 10 (I have one, while not "rare" we are pigeonholed into about a decade of production). Why? Because nearly every Police Department in America has carried either that or...

-Colt Official Police in .38spc. Because most cops carried either this or choice number 1. And I like history.

-Third choice is tough, but I'm going with an earlier Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. This one kind of scratches the "magnum" itch, as it's safe for Ruger Only 45 Colt loads. Downloaded to normal .45lc levels, it is plenty adequate for SD. The Ruger Only loads are more than adequate for medium sized game... maybe not ideal for large game though. Still it would do all I need it to.

This is just me, and it's because the first two are non-negotiable in a "collection" for me.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old February 16, 2024, 09:00 PM   #27
rclark

Quote:
The { .45 Colt } Ruger Only loads are more than adequate for medium sized game...
More than appropriate for large game too. Read about experiences of Linebaugh, Prasac, Casull, Seyfried with the .45 Colt... and probably many others. They'd set you straight . To wet your appetite, here is one such article from Max to tie them together : Hot Rodding .45 Colt
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; February 16, 2024 at 09:16 PM.
Old February 21, 2024, 08:15 AM   #28
stuckinthe60s

pzgren...how do the new beretta imports stack up against the older mr73's?

also too, a point usually missed on well built revolvers is...smooth d.action. pythons d.action is legendary.

how is a korths or mr73's d.action stack up against a python?

people always talk about looks and feel, but never say anything about what (should be) the most important feature.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 21, 2024, 09:16 AM   #29
2damnold4this

If I was going to try and cover three different calibers while limited to three revolvers that I currently own, I'd go with:

Ruger Single Six 5.5" in .22lr and .22 mag
S&W M65 4" in .357 mag and .38 Special
Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" in .44 mag and .44 Special

But that leaves a gaping hole as none of those are particularly suited for concealed carry. A snubby in .38 Special is the last revolver I would part with meaning that one of the others would go to make room for it. I guess it would have to be the Super Black Hawk that gets bumped.
Old February 21, 2024, 12:11 PM   #30
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this View Post
If I was going to try and cover three different calibers while limited to three revolvers that I currently own, I'd go with:

Ruger Single Six 5.5" in .22lr and .22 mag
S&W M65 4" in .357 mag and .38 Special
Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" in .44 mag and .44 Special

But that leaves a gaping hole as none of those are particularly suited for concealed carry. A snubby in .38 Special is the last revolver I would part with meaning that one of the others would go to make room for it. I guess it would have to be the Super Black Hawk that gets bumped.
If it were me I’d bump the .22, I have rifles for those chores. I’d add a carry size revolver of your choice in .38sp.
Old February 21, 2024, 04:09 PM   #31
Drm50

S&W m17 K22 6” 22rf.
S&W m25 6” 45Colt
S&W m36 2” 38special.

I know guys want to plug in a 357 as middle bracket. I actually have 9 top end S&W 357s and can’t think of a thing they are good for except anti personnel.Versatility? the ability to shoot many 38/357 cartridges and loads?
Old February 21, 2024, 06:31 PM   #32
Super Sneaky Steve

Uberti 1858 Remington 8" 44cal
Kimber K6XS 2" 38spl
Ruger Redhawk 4" 45Colt
Old February 21, 2024, 06:53 PM   #33
2damnold4this

I think this is an interesting exercise. Do we look at this as we can only have three revolvers or do we look at this as what the first three revolvers we might acquire? Do we go for versatility or do we try to fulfill specific needs such as concealed carry, target shooting, home defense, hunting, pest control, or other reasons?

It's an interesting thought experiment and it makes me glad that I don't have to limit myself to three revolvers.
Old February 21, 2024, 09:14 PM   #34
rclark

Interesting exercise indeed. Looking 'back' my first was a .357 BH as I was planning on doing a lot of hiking and fishing in Moose and Bear country -- plus my uncle had one and liked it. As I was still a youngster going to college at the time and my dad had plenty of .22s to pick from, the .357 was 'it'. Then when I got my first real job out of college, out of home, a .44 Magnum came along (that was testosterone talking I think). Then I got a .22 Mark II and couple BP revolvers. Finally I ran into the .45 Colt and never looked back.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 22, 2024, 08:19 AM   #35
toxophilus

My .45 caliber Blackhawk convertible:

My .357/.38/9mm Blackhawk convertible:

My .22 617

Old February 22, 2024, 10:07 AM   #36
rclark

What distance? Didn't see distance recorded in the photos.