The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 11, 2024, 07:31 AM   #26
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
Because of California.
What makes you think S&W QC is worse than their competition?

Uhhhh.......J frames can have 8 round cylinders. I have two.
If you want six round .38/.357 .......it ain't a J frame. Cylinder is too small.

Who told you that?
I'll transfer 50-60 S&W revolvers for every Kimber.
Don't get me wrong, Kimber makes a nice gun, but just not nearly as popular as S&W.
Did you buy a Smith Wesson revolver recently? I was in the process of buying a 686 "Deluxe" version. The finish of the stainless steel was so horrendous, with a ton of scratches and rust blemishes, that I thought it was a used gun. Maybe their Performance Center version is still ok? On the other hand, Colt still produces revolvers with amazing stainless steel finish.

Talking about the J-frame, have you seen the new Kimber K6XS? It is about the same weight as a SW J-frame at 15.9 Oz, but can hold 6 rounds of 38-spl. Colt Cobra is about the same width as a J-frame (1.4 inch), and can hold 6-rounds of 38-spl as well.

Last edited by liv4spd; February 11, 2024 at 07:42 AM.
Old February 11, 2024, 08:47 AM   #27
jar

Some of us even like the idea of an internal lock on a handgun.
Old February 11, 2024, 05:11 PM   #28
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Some of us even like the idea of an internal lock on a handgun.
Old February 12, 2024, 08:38 AM   #29
PzGren

Unfortunately high priced guns are a niche market and commercially not always successful - unless we are talking semi custom and custom 1911s and hunting rifles.

Hammerli and SIG in Switzerland have long closed their doors and SIG Sauer came into life to make use of Sauer & Sohn's modern CNC equipment and produce the Swiss service pistol, the P75. Korth in Ratzeburg was more of a gunsmith shop than a factory and the guns were manufactured in a very traditional way. Korth Lollar on the other hand has moved manufacturing into the modern age, while still maintaining excellent quality and great quality control.

A friend loves his unorthodox Korth for practical purposes; winning matches. He shot a 686 before.

I have shot a pre-war K-22 Outdoorsman and it was nicer than my 1952 vintage model. My K-22 has seen a lot of rounds and I find it nicer than the model 17s I have seen.

Old February 12, 2024, 12:45 PM   #30
Webleymkv

Over the years I've owned S&W revolvers ranging in vintage from my oldest, a 1950-produced Pre-Model 27, to my current production 629-6 and 442-1. I've also shot and handled several more that were/are owned by close friends and family. While I appreciate the craftsmanship of features like couterbored chambers and checkered topstraps on the older models, I have to say that the waxing on about the old models is, IMHO, nostalgia more than anything. My 442-1 has a better, smoother trigger than my 36 no-dash, my 629-6 is just as smooth and accurate as my father's 29-2 and hasn't developed the timing and endshake issues that Dad had to have repaired on his, and my 13-4 has the best trigger of any DA revolver I've ever shot.

While I enjoy vintage S&W's as much as anyone and more than most (my N-Frame .357's are particular joys to shoot) I'll admit that old ones have their foibles too. I had a 66-2 that required excessive force to open the cylinder due to the ejector rod being slightly out-of-spec (a few swipes with a piece of sandpaper on the end cured the issue), my 28-2 broke its trigger stud and had to go back to S&W to be repaired, and my pre-27 (a vaunted five screw) had a warped mainspring that caused a ridiculously heavy trigger pull (replacing the spring cured it). Likewise, if the gun does need to be repaired, some of the parts for the older ones are getting difficult to find and the parts for the newer ones are less likely to require fitting.
Old February 12, 2024, 10:01 PM   #31
orionengnr

Last two I bought were a .38/44 Heavy Duty and an M-638-3, definitely the oldest and probably the newest revolvers I own.

I'm not crazy about the ILS revolvers but own three of them, including the newly-acquired 638. I will buy The Plug and remove the ILS parts (as I have done with the previous two). May then sell the 642 as I don't need two .38 Spl J-frames. Wouldn't mind a .32 six-round j-frame, if I can find one....

I definitely prefer the P&R models, but I buy what I can find and afford.
Old February 13, 2024, 06:11 AM   #32
MC 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengnr View Post
Last two I bought were a .38/44 Heavy Duty and an M-638-3, definitely the oldest and probably the newest revolvers I own.

I'm not crazy about the ILS revolvers but own three of them, including the newly-acquired 638. I will buy The Plug and remove the ILS parts (as I have done with the previous two). May then sell the 642 as I don't need two .38 Spl J-frames. Wouldn't mind a .32 six-round j-frame, if I can find one....

I definitely prefer the P&R models, but I buy what I can find and afford.
S&W just released a new J frame in .32 available from Lipseys.
Old February 23, 2024, 02:59 AM   #33
radom

Guess now people forget the Bangor Puta guns. back in 1975 they where called junk but now they are $$$ better than sex guns to buy despite being what they called junk then.
Old February 23, 2024, 03:41 PM   #34
JustJake

Quote:
Guess now people forget the Bangor Puta guns. back in 1975 they were called junk but now they are $$$ better than sex guns to buy despite being what they called junk then.
All pre-HH S&W revolvers have sky-rocketed in pricing.

(For the unawares, HH = the dreaded Hillary Hole).
Old February 23, 2024, 05:47 PM   #35
Nathan

I do remember the Bangor Punta guns had a bad rep, but history has forgotten that.