The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2011, 06:15 AM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

As far as I know, Stevens never offered the 311 12 gauge in Full/Full.

They MAY have offered the .410s in Full/Full, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Personally, I'm trying to figure out if there's enough meat in the muzzles of the 20 to allow for installation of choke tubes.

Slugo isn't sure of the choking, but Slugo thinks that one of the barrels may be full, the other mod. I shoot mainly clay sports, so I'm looking for somewhat more open patterns.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 1, 2011, 03:26 AM   #27
bamaranger

full and full

Every 311 I've ever looked at was full/mod, or mod/improved.

A shotgun to me is a turkey gun, and full/full would suit me better, but I'm inclined to believe full/mod is the only option. Oh yeah, 3" chambers.

Wish I had Dad's 16, it was a neat old gun. He traded it for a .410 pump

(bunny hunting) and we shot truckfulls!!!!!!!! Lord he loved to rabbit hunt.
Old July 1, 2011, 03:28 AM   #28
bamaranger

full and full

I have seen and handled 311/.410 full and full, but could not afford at the time. Now they are rare, scarce and more expensive than back in the day.
Old September 4, 2011, 08:10 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

And I now have a very nice, 1940s/1950s Stevens 5100 311 in 20 gauge.

I can't wait to get it out to the range.

Good meeting you, Slugo!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:42 AM   #30
Opinated

This thread is a bit old, but right on topic for me.
Hawg Haggen posted "The 5100 was discontinued in 48 and was morphed into the 311 in 49. Some of the early ones carry both 5100 and 311 markings."

My father was discharged from the Navy in early 1946 and could not find a new shotgun for sale. My grandfather owned a few hundred acres and was an avid bird hunter. One of his hunting buddies was both a wholesale hardware distributor and retailer. So grandfather told the hardware man to hold the first 12 gauge double that he could get. My father got it not later than 1947. The first and only new gun he ever owned. It is the Stevens with wooden stocks and has the tiny 5100 low on the side of the receiver. I can find no serial number on it. Even though my brother and I used it, it still is in 90% or better condition and now is mine.
It has not been fired in over 20 years , but I need to take it out for some use soon.
It looks just like the photos posted by Slugo in the start of this thread. But mine is 12 gauge.

Last edited by Opinated; November 7, 2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old November 7, 2011, 09:20 AM   #31
Slugo

great story...

remember, 5100 did not designate a shotgun model, it designated the action. They were basically all 311's. Good luck with your find. Clean her up and have some ground thumping fun with that 12...
Old November 7, 2011, 11:05 AM   #32
Ricklin

If any of ya'll are seeking a 311.
Stevens made this model for Sears and for Western Auto. There may be others, both my 311's are "store" brand guns. One in 12 and one in 20.
The 20 is mod and full. The 12 is IC and mod. I think they mostly all came choked either way.
Old November 7, 2011, 09:26 PM   #33
OkieCruffler

You can usually find those store guns for a bit cheaper than the Stevens stamped. AFWIW, mic those chokes and see what you really have. My current favorite shooter is full/not quite as full.