The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 4, 2024, 11:07 AM   #1
PCshooter

Assistance dating an old S&W Triple Lock!

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for giving me a hand. I inherited a family heirloom S&W Triple Lock many years ago. It's been a safe queen for a decade now. But i've decided to get a display case built for it so I can enjoy it while working in my office. I am getting a custom engraved plaque to go inside the case and want to put a manufacture date on it. I've got it narrowed down to between 1910 and 1915, but wondering if anyone can help me nail down the specific year. Serial # on the bottom of the butt is 5100. I will add a pic below if anyone cares to add any details/knowledge about the gun. Thank you!

Edit: Having problems getting pics uploaded. Keeps saying upload failed?

Last edited by PCshooter; January 4, 2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old January 4, 2024, 11:57 AM   #2
Jim Watson

SCSW says 1910. For details you could go through the Smith and Wesson Historical Foundation: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...al-foundation/

I assume it is a .44 S&W Special, but they did make a few in other calibers besides the .455 British contracts.
Old January 4, 2024, 12:02 PM   #3
PCshooter

Thank you very much! Yes- it's a 44 S&W Special CTG
Old January 4, 2024, 12:27 PM   #4
Jim Watson

CTG is just an abbreviation for Cartridge, although I have been tempted to make up a nonsensical version, like Combat Tactical Gun.
Old January 4, 2024, 03:34 PM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Yup. SCSW says the serial numbers for 1910 ran from 5000 through 7049. This is for al Triple Locks, regardless of caliber.

By the way, 44 S&W Special CTG is just the regular old 44 Special. Since S&W developed the cartridge, they like to put "S&W" in the description, but just plain old 44 Special.
Old January 5, 2024, 12:27 PM   #6
Webleymkv

For a gun as rare and valuable as a Triple Lock, you may want to consider getting a letter of authenticity which may have further information such as the date it was shipped and who it originally shipped to. If you frame the letter, it would make a very nice addition to your display.

https://swhistoricalfoundation.com/letter-process/